An AFOL's nightmare.

ExoBro94

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should they have let the AFOL in?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Who cares!

I stumbled upon this article today while surfing the Internet. It wasn't reported about on any LEGO fan sites, I kinda just chanced upon it. Any way you can read it here: bit.ly/AFOLsNightmare.

John and his daughter, Nicole St-Onge, saved up, planned the trip and made the three-hour drive, only to be turned away at the door because of a rule, unbeknownst to them, that adults must be accompanied by a child in order to get in.

You older BP members can add this to your list of "Actually Good Reasons To Have Kids".

Guest eightbrick

For what it's worth, I would go with him so he could get in if I could... as long as he threw in some bonuses ;) (I'm surprised a family didn't let him tag along to get in - it wouldn't harm their trip or anything).

What a sad story, I feel bad for the man. Can't believe I didn't see this in my daily Canadian news look-about.

You mean "look-aboot" right?  :buba: (ogawd bad joke).

In all seriousness though, it seems LEGO really only likes selling to and catering to kids in all aspects of their company policies. (I'm talking about you mini-build nights. Kids ages 6-14 only!? COME ON!)

Guest eightbrick

You mean "look-aboot" right?  :buba: (ogawd bad joke).

In all seriousness though, it seems LEGO really only likes selling to and catering to kids in all aspects of their company policies. (I'm talking about you mini-build nights. Kids ages 6-14 only!? COME ON!)

Hahaha we aren't all French :P I think Lego believes that the adult market will support itself, through sites like Brickset, Eurobricks, etc. and so they don't feel a need to specially cater to the adult crowd. I mean, if you are brave enough to feel through collectable minifigures around a bunch of 6 year olds, you are probably pretty dedicated already.

LEGOLAND Discovery centers actually have an Adults only time spot.  It's usually after the place closes and the kids are gone.  With all the sickos out there (not saying this guy is one) I am glad they have this rule.

Ok, so Disney World, 6 Flags, and any other "kid oriented" zone in the entire world should ban adults because they could be "sickos". Yeah, I'm going to have to say that statement is a little ridiculous. 

That is weird and pathetic The Discovery Centre didn't let them in.  I thought about getting a membership there with my son but he's a little too young and the price is a little too high considering he'd rather go to the free local spash pad haha.  We live less than 30mins away.

The place is usually fully stocked but another issue I have with them is they don't accept Lego VIP pts/returns?!  Discovery Centre is different than Lego Store.

Ok, so Disney World, 6 Flags, and any other "kid oriented" zone in the entire world should ban adults because they could be "sickos". Yeah, I'm going to have to say that statement is a little ridiculous. 

Yes, but at LDC you can let your kids run about freely and you don't have to be with them at all times.  There is only one way out, which is manned by an employee, and kids have to have an adult to get out.  At Disney you would be a fool to let your 6 year old run freely.  This is comparing apples to oranges.  Until you have kids, and realize there are sick people in this world that do horrible things to children, you may not understand where I am coming from.(or LDC for that matter.)

Guest ph4tb0i

That is weird and pathetic The Discovery Centre didn't let them in.  I thought about getting a membership there with my son but he's a little too young and the price is a little too high considering he'd rather go to the free local spash pad haha.  We live less than 30mins away.

The place is usually fully stocked but another issue I have with them is they don't accept Lego VIP pts/returns?!  Discovery Centre is different than Lego Store.

They don't' accept the returns because they're run by Merlin Entertainment rather than TLG (i.e. the lego stores, LEGO Shop at Home, etc.). 

I think Lego decided to outsource during their dark ages when the company almost went down under (read it on a gizmodo page somebody linked from here..)

The price for Lego Land is just a rip off. it's like 50 bucks a person to go in and look at MOCs.. You're better off taking your kid to ToroLUG or something (Toronto Lego User Group). They probably will have more things for your kids to think about Lego wise. :)

Yes, but at LDC you can let your kids run about freely and you don't have to be with them at all times.  There is only one way out, which is manned by an employee, and kids have to have an adult to get out.  At Disney you would be a fool to let your 6 year old run freely.  This is comparing apples to oranges.  Until you have kids, and realize there are sick people in this world that do horrible things to children, you may not understand where I am coming from.(or LDC for that matter.)

Chuck E. Cheese's man... and I've seen parents do some terrible things lately. There is a difference between raising smart kids who can avoid dangerous situations and being over protective and suffocating. 

Chuck E. Cheese's man... and I've seen parents do some terrible things lately. There is a difference between raising smart kids who can avoid dangerous situations and being over protective and suffocating. 

Again, apples to oranges.  I'm not picking on you, but I can tell you don't have kids.  It all changes when you do.

^yeah (ph4tb0i), there's a brickfete thingy coming up in the Toronto area where you can see lots of Lego displays...much cheaper.  Never been and I would go but fully booked that weekend.  Will be hitting my first FanExpo in Aug however :)

If Lego is really concerned...I hope all their employees had criminal record checks annually.  Even than, you just never know.  To not let a senior accompanied by his adult daughter in just seems unfair.  They make so much money there I'm sure they could have an extra staff member stand around for added measure.  Wonder if they have cameras in there or would it be a privacy issue.  I guess it's a private company/place so they can make any rule they want and I'm sure some parents prefer it this way.

A parents main priority is providing/protecting their kid(s).  When we're out I never let my son (4 in Oct) out of my sight, either holding hands or within a quick arm grab.  Sure I let him roam free with other kids at playgrounds/splash pads...socialize.  I'm not overly protective or suffocating but I'll be following him into public washrooms until he's at least 12ish lol.  Is that too much?  To each their own I guess.  You just never know...some sicko's out there.    

Guest eightbrick

The price for Lego Land is just a rip off. it's like 50 bucks a person to go in and look at MOCs.. You're better off taking your kid to ToroLUG or something (Toronto Lego User Group). They probably will have more things for your kids to think about Lego wise. :)

You can say that again. Have you seen MOCs by Toronto LUG/Eurobricks member "rook"? They are amazing. One of his creations got frontpaged on EB: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83139

Beautiful work, I would rather go to a ToroLUG showcase and support MOCers than the LDC, who aren't the most supportive for AFOLs.

Again, apples to oranges.  I'm not picking on you, but I can tell you don't have kids.  It all changes when you do.

Anakin, I'm 19, so let's cross our fingers and toes that I'm not a father. Also, I certainly don't feel like you are picking on me and I'm pretty sure nobody else does either. Why are some users of this site so quick to apologize for "bullying" when having a nice debate/discussion. I created this thread to show how ridiculous the company who runs the LEGO Discovery location is being for having a rule like they do. So quite simply I also believe you are being ridiculous too. You are pretty much saying that the company has the right to discriminate against members of the population who don't meet specific requirements. Who said that all senior citizens who don't have children/grandchildren are pedophiles or can be dangerous? Nobody. Can't a sexual predator also present himself/herself as a young child (tween/teen)? Yes. 

So basically, if you believe that once a person has a child, every thing "changes" and becomes so much more "dangerous" all of a sudden then the LDC and other places that have similar policies should not even be allowed to operate. Because frankly, by practicing such a policy, they are saying that they see their entertainment location as a possible hot-spot for sexual predators and criminals. So if you think you are being a good parent by applauding the company's decision, I'm simply going to have to disagree. If you truly did want your children to be fully protected, surely you wouldn't take them to a place that draws attention from pedophiles , right?

*The above thoughts are mine and mine only and do not represent the thoughts of other members of this forum. 

I'm with Anakin on this one. Regardless of how much I teach my kids to avoid dangerous situations and strangers, intelliegence and training only go so far in a conflict between a 5 year old boy and a 200lb adult male. Yes, it's my job to protect them from predators. And I wouldn't ever let them run loose in public, regardless of the environment. But not all parents give a sh*t, sad to say. If Lego wants to do what they can to provide a safer place for kids to be kids, kudos to Lego. They're hedging their bet, of course, but better them than half-there parents or pedophiles having a gamble at all.