Advanced building techniques & questions

efonsecab

Here is a basic exoskeleton comprised of the new Mixel joints that is fairly flexible and easy to customize. First clip is version 1 while the second is a slight update to the design. I believe you can easily replicate this "ball joint action frame" just from watching these. Anyway, you can see quite a few different suits using this starting point on the dude's YouTube channel.

Love the Voltron that appears in the 2nd video.  I would love to have that on my desk at work.

Love the Voltron that appears in the 2nd video.  I would love to have that on my desk at work.

I found the builder showing off that Voltron design in a video here. All four 'lion limbs' are the same I think and I am guessing the body frame is similar to his other mech ones so maybe I can figure something out in Digital Designer to recreate it.

• Like 3

Love the Voltron that appears in the 2nd video. I would love to have that on my desk at work.

I found the builder showing off that Voltron design in a video here. All four 'lion limbs' are the same I think and I am guessing the body frame is similar to his other mech ones so maybe I can figure something out in Digital Designer to recreate it.

Well I did it finally. Making the arm and leg lions were easy when I figured those out but the main torso was a pain in the ass aside from the obvious bits. Trying to decipher anything made out of black is always difficult. Anyway here is what I recreated in LDD. The entirety of Voltron uses 137 parts (or 138 if you include the 'flame blade'). Everything uses small parts so acquiring them should be easy if not a little repetitive. Only thing annoyingly tricky is getting certain angles in LDD but in real life it is very poseable. Click on each image to enlarge.

gallery_2081_127_4099.png

gallery_2081_127_8101.png

• Like 3

I just finished making the instructions for the mini Voltron model above and only need to make an XML file for creating a Bricklink "Wanted List" but I am so tired right now and need a break from it all. Also need to "make a deposit at the bank" if you know what I mean. Anyway I will post a new thread for the whole thing when completely finished.

• Like 1

I just finished making the instructions for the mini Voltron model above and only need to make an XML file for creating a Bricklink "Wanted List" but I am so tired right now and need a break from it all. Also need to "make a deposit at the bank" if you know what I mean. Anyway I will post a new thread for the whole thing when completely finished.

That's awesome TOK, thanks. I haven't had time to pour over the video or you photos to try to figure out the parts.

Take your time, but not too long...can't wait to see it.

That's awesome TOK, thanks. I haven't had time to pour over the video or you photos to try to figure out the parts.

Take your time, but not too long...can't wait to see it.

I think there was barely thirteen or more different piece types used only in different colors so it shouldn't be that difficult typing up the XML file.

If you don't have, feel free to send me the list of parts and I can put it together too.

Thanks for offering to help out. I seem better experienced with Bricklink and creating a "Wanted List" now which was a personal side goal to all this.

I think there was barely thirteen or more different piece types used only in different colors so it shouldn't be that difficult typing up the XML file.

Turns out I had used forty-four unique pieces in total. Guess I underestimated that by quite a bit. Heh. Ah well. The work is finished so here goes nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another good thing from all the Five Nights At Freddy's stuff. I found this pretty cool body frame or endoskeleton this builder used for recreating the killer animal animatronics. A little long intro but after a minute (technically 40 seconds in) you get to see how to put the body frame together plus afterwards placing the 'skin' for Foxy. I thought if anything the endoskeleton makes for some great inspiration.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...