This really yanks my crank.....

Lateral-G

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lego-Star-Wars-9499-Gungan-Sub-Set-NO-MINIFIGURES-INCLUDED-/160877886213?_trksid=e11002.m185&_trkparms=algo=SIC.NPJS&its=I&itu=UA&otn=4&pmod=200813737590&ps=63&clkid=1881967173048639360&_qi=RTM1053523 Sorry but this is not a NEW or SEALED item. I hate ebay sellers that do this sort of thing. I know he listed it as not coming with minifigs BUT it's still been OPENED!!!! Looks like he's done it many times before as well.

i have to agree and it makes our life hard looking for these sets. We have added filters in all over the place looking to take these sets out of our numbers. for the most part we have it under control. But many people just don't get that once you break those seals, it is no longer new. I also like the ones that say "Used only once", but say its new.

It also adds insult to injury considering I lost a NIB Gungan sub bid of mine for $52 (with free shipping) by one measly dollar from a sniper in the last 10 seconds of bidding. The when I found the noted listing above I thought, "Woo Hoo, there is some justice in the universe!" until I read the description more closely. ah well.....Who needs a Gungan sub anyway?

The Gungan sub is definitely over priced. I am waiting until I get a good deal on the set before I jump, especially since I open and assemble all of my star wars sets.

Yeah, $70 is just a bit high IMO for this set. I know it might be anathema to every thing this site stands for but I like to build my Lego sets as well. Besides with kids trying to keep them in the box is fruitless. I do try impress upon them the valuable nature of them, however. :)

I would consider the listing to still be for a new item. The bricks are unused, which is the condition for determining condition on BrickLink. Having anything in the description about being complete or sealed is incorrect, but the item is still new, just unsealed. New, incomplete is a choice on BrickLink, so it seems valid to me. I can see that is difficult for a price guide, but it is still a condition that exists.

I buy & sell a lot on eBay - I understand that there are people who look to deceive buyers, but in order to clearly state what you are selling, there is nothing wrong with using the terms "Complete with no minifigs" or "New with no minifigs" - It most accurately describes what you are buying/selling.

Don't feel bad. I have bought "new" LEGO sets without minifigures several times due to deceptive auction listings. In my opinion, a new set is how EBAY describes it:

Condition:

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items)

Buyers need to read the small print so they don't get ripped off.

Don't feel bad. I have bought "new" LEGO sets without minifigures several times due to deceptive auction listings. In my opinion, a new set is how EBAY describes it:

Condition:

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items)

Buyers need to read the small print so they don't get ripped off.

The issue is that people get confused by that "new" line definition, but that isn't really the seller's fault. You only have 3 options as a seller on eBay when creating a listing - new, used, or choosing no condition. The list following "new", as shown above from eBay, includes examples of things that would qualify an item as being new, not that all of them have to be true. A handmade item would not be unopened, so that tells you right there that not all of the conditions have to exist for an item to qualify as new. In the listing linked, the item is unused and undamaged, thus making it new but incomplete.

I orginally started composing my reply to this post backing the seller, even coming up with an example using Collectable Minifigures, but as I thought through it I realized that I agree with Lateral-*** that this set is not new. It is not new because it is not complete. Once items have been removed or built, then the set is a used. Alternately, if a seller sold a set of Collectable Minifigures that they had to open in order to determine their contents (for the sake of argument assume that they could not determine that by feel or markings on the base of the bag), I would still see them as new. They are opened, but their contents are complete and the set has not been built. I am sure there are exceptions and different opinions, but for me this seems to make sense.

The issue is that people get confused by that "new" line definition, but that isn't really the seller's fault. You only have 3 options as a seller on eBay when creating a listing - new, used, or choosing no condition. The list following "new", as shown above from eBay, includes examples of things that would qualify an item as being new, not that all of them have to be true. A handmade item would not be unopened, so that tells you right there that not all of the conditions have to exist for an item to qualify as new. In the listing linked, the item is unused and undamaged, thus making it new but incomplete. Then maybe choosing "no condition" is the best solution. It is not new or used. It is deceptive advertising with most of these sellers though. Just like charging $40 shipping on a $10 item.

New with no minifigs is still new. Most buyers know that there are people who collect only minifigs & sell the rest. A "new without" set is not the same as a used set that has been played with & is in who knows what kind of condition (I like to know the difference). As far as worrying about buyers being deceived on eBay - You can ask any seller, it is a buyers world on eBay.

Would you consider a set with all sealed bags (but no box) to be used? As far as complete with no minifigs, how about a complete set with the minifigs, but no box - is that complete? Some people like the numbered bags - is it incomplete if you don't include the numbered bags? In the end, Sellers need to be as clear as they can in their descriptions & buyers need to pay attention to the details.

People are being too generous with the term "new." I will leave negative feedback for sellers who misrepresent an item. I realize the pieces are still new, but the set as a whole is not complete and slick sellers will try to trick people into buying or bidding on an item. It is rather difficult to get out of a bid once you figure out there are no minifigs in it. It's like buying a roll of tape. Remove half of the tape and you still have new tape on the roll that can be used, but is the item still "new"?

Would you consider a set with all sealed bags (but no box) to be used? As far as complete with no minifigs, how about a complete set with the minifigs, but no box - is that complete? Some people like the numbered bags - is it incomplete if you don't include the numbered bags?

In the end, Sellers need to be as clear as they can in their descriptions & buyers need to pay attention to the details.

Yes...used. If it is not NIB, with all pieces, instructions, stickers and box in very good condition, it is used in my opinion. You have to draw the line somewhere.

I agree with you about sellers being clear. If it is in title of auction listing, then it is on buyer. But if the listing just says 10179 Millennium Falcon NIB/MISB and forgets to say they removed the minifigs, then it is trying to be deceptive IMO. It should read, "10179 Millennium Falcon NIB/MISB ***No Minifigs*** or something like that.

Buyers also need to read entire listings like you said.