The Hobbit 2014

A lot of the Hobbit fans are going to hate me for saying this, but those sets are just poor excuse to overcharge for the minifigs. Seriously, $30 for 1 1/2 guard tower and a small bridge to accessorize 5 minifigs (2 of them orcs :P) ??  They should have just sold the 5 minifigs in a plastic containers for $25 and saved themselves some shipping costs :P

And another Azog? That is really the only reason to buy Dol Guldur Battle, aside from Radagast. I am really glad I only bought 2 Dol Guldurs way below MSRP for Azog. Will pair him up with white Warg from Attack of the Wargs set. Pretty disappointing.

Fingers still crossed for Fell Beast, but hopes are dwindling.

• Like 1

Three more Hobbit sets...witch king battle....Attack on Lake Town...The Battle of Five Armies. (Azog Minifig)

http://www.thebrickfan.com/images-of-lego-the-hobbit-october-2014-wave-surfaces/

Aside from the minifigures and parts, the builds aren't very awe inspiring. I'm digging the new hairpiece on the orcs in the Attack on Lake-town set which may give me a reason to purchase the Lake-town Chase one after all so the two can be paired together.

I like the smaller and larger set. The Witch-King Battle is a great value for those minifigs. 

Can anyone tell which minifigs are unidentified in the Battle of the Five Armies? To me it looks like 79001 Legolas and another Thorin variation, possible with a crown. I'm assuming that's Dain with the helmet and axe.

Those sets suck, sorry guys. Nothing happening there but minifigs. Sorry Lego but epic fail. Could have been great, but it is not. I will pick up the smallest on clearance, dol goldure on clearance and the lonely mountain on clearance. Nothing major. I think this is all there will be. Orthanc is the big one and they did it well. Ineed to get more of those next year. Hopefully the license does not expire end of 2014. Most people are not buying orthanc i think, so it should be more limited later. Just a hunch.

I wish LEGO would have given us a couple more LOTR sets in this wave instead of some of these Hobbit sets.  I think there are more dynamic characters and settings to draw from for LOTR, but with the movie backing it LEGO probably felt Hobbit was their best bet with retailers.  I really have no idea how well or how poorly LOTR sets have sold, but I don't see anything else coming out of this theme.  It's too bad because I think a few more sets would have helped finish off the highlights from the first trilogy.

Erf... I think that as an investment, this third line will do nearly as "well" as the POTC play sets.

I can't say how much I'm disappointed about these sets, I really thought it couldn't be worst than the previous Hobbit sets (but it is: nice performance).

79013- Lake-town chase looks like a masterpiece compared to the 79016- Attack on lake-town (ok ok, it's not the same price to be fair, but I'm so p*ssed off).

The fact that the scene of the 79016 takes place in the 2nd movie is kinda weird (because of the "well let's make 3 annoying movies instead of 2 nice and let LEGO handle this it's not our problem that sets are already designed")

Minifigs seem ok but that's it.

The best way would be to sell minifigs apart, so you can expect to have bricks for free.

I'll pass because it may be such a waste of time...

Those sets suck, sorry guys. Nothing happening there but minifigs. Sorry Lego but epic fail. Could have been great, but it is not. I will pick up the smallest on clearance, dol goldure on clearance and the lonely mountain on clearance. Nothing major. I think this is all there will be. Orthanc is the big one and they did it well. Ineed to get more of those next year. Hopefully the license does not expire end of 2014. Most people are not buying orthanc i think, so it should be more limited later. Just a hunch.

I pretty much agree. I love the Tower of Orthanc and Unexpected Gathering. The rest are OK...including Helms Deep. I really love the Smaug maxi figure though, contrary to other members opinions. I think that set could be a real winner if bought at the right price. The sets never lived up to the greatness of the movies like STAR WARS and Harry Potter sets did.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I pretty much agree. I love the Tower of Orthanc and Unexpected Gathering. The rest are OK...including Helms Deep. I really love the Smaug maxi figure though, contrary to other members opinions. I think that set could be a real winner if bought at the right price. The sets never lived up to the greatness of the movies like STAR WARS and Harry Potter sets did.

Ed,

I'm with  you all the way except on that Helm's Deep Set.  You don't want us to open that topic again do you!   VBG  :)

I'm still disappointed in no LotR wave 3.  

I like the minifigures in the Hobbit line, but apart from Bag End the rest of the sets have almost no collectible display value so I can't justify buying them for my personal collection.  I also think that hurts potential secondary market as well.  With a theme like this the AFOL collector drives a lot greater chunk of the demand than the usual target market of kids.  I still think they will grow, but just not as well as they could have, and the growth they do have will be minifigure driven.

Ed,

I'm with you all the way except on that Helm's Deep Set. You don't want us to open that topic again do you! VBG :)

Helms Deep is fine. I have my share, but unfortunately like most of the LOTR sets, the architecture and scenes of the movie are very hard to reproduce with any accuracy.