Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Or if you are feeling brave, counter with an offer too good to refuse, then cancel when he accepts, per previous buyer request. Follow up with polite message thanking him for bailing you out since your counter offer was a typo anyway. Finally, ask him his best price on his time machine and make it clear you prefer the pieces sealed in plastic baggies since he has the tools to make that happen prior to shipping.

Not that brave....I did reply with a nice but slightly passive aggressive message explaining that they didnt actually buy the set and had nothing to worry about.

Got a reply "sorry, that message was intended for another seller."

Very next action was to add buyer to block list and say a quick prayer for the seller that is having to deal with that one...
  • Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

The more I read these comments, the more I wish that we had a database of bad buyers (with proof) so that I could also block them. Since 2002, I have blocked 232 buyers! Not necessarily scammers, but those that are such a pain in the arse that it makes the transaction so difficult and barely profitable. Of the 5 million or so UK households that probably like LEGO, 232 ain't a lot, is it? No matter what you say is EXCLUDED or DAMAGED in the listing, eBay will still side with the buyer.

Why, why, why... isn't there a competitor to knock greedy eBay off its perch? Amazon NEED NOT apply! ;-)

I have a person bought a set over $1000.00, I called them and verified it's their purchase and looked up their address, they are in phone book under that address. House value is high in a nice area, so I'm not too worried but the package notice has been left 2 times as it requires a signature and they have not picked it up. The first notice was march 16. It seems odd to me someone would pay so much to just leave it at the post office.

I contacted them 2 times and let them know it is waiting on them or will get shipped back to me, and both times said they would pick it up shortly.

Maybe I worry too much and they are just busy, but it seemed odd.

Edited by Salimr
  • Like 1

I did not renew my store subscription which was up next month. Then, without 'vacation mode,' I decided to end 70 listings I had up in advance of a 2 week fishing trip I'm going on today. This is the first time in years I've had nothing listed on eBay, and it feels great, I highly recommend it.

87e4cf0353c6f24ca679143339536cbb.jpg

• Like 7

On 3/22/2017 at 9:01 PM, LegoEdison said:

how to report scammer seller on amazon? 

i saw a seller have a lot of Lego with price too good to be true. 

Probably best not to report someone if you haven't attempted to buy from them. There have been a few third party sellers on Amazon with incredible prices.

Sold a Haunted House for $399.99. Didn't feel great about the buyer, as I tried sending general email and calling phone numner (disconnected) but had confirmed address that also matched Paypal address. Sent it out today, and just got notification that charges were made against the Paypal account owner's will.

Attempting to intercept package with USPS ($13)  and now on phone with Ebay to get transaction canceled.

51 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Sold a Haunted House for $399.99. Didn't feel great about the buyer, as I tried sending general email and calling phone numner (disconnected) but had confirmed address that also matched Paypal address. Sent it out today, and just got notification that charges were made against the Paypal account owner's will.

Attempting to intercept package with USPS ($13)  and now on phone with Ebay to get transaction canceled.

make sure to play the lottery too,  think odds are higher to win that than the actual intercept being done.  Luckily you'll still be covered.  Had something similar happen on a $750 item few years ago.  Paypal had said it did look fishy and they would intercept.  Funny thing is after I opened intercept lady opened a paypal case.  Then it gets delivered anyways cause post office didn't do it and she closes the case.  Never had a chargeback filed either.  Pretty weird on that one.  

So, I'm thinking it's a situation where a person buys my HH, gets it shipped to their house, files a claim with Paypal, gets their money back, and gets my package? I did require a signature, so I suppose that was a smart $4 spent yesterday.

So, is this a scam on the buyers part, a scam on someone else's part (How do they get the package??), or buyers remorse?

Edited by iahawks550

48 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

So, I'm thinking it's a situation where a person buys my HH, gets it shipped to their house, files a claim with Paypal, gets their money back, and gets my package? I did require a signature, so I suppose that was a smart $4 spent yesterday.

So, is this a scam on the buyers part, a scam on someone else's part (How do they get the package??), or buyers remorse?

Most fraud is friendly fraud (reports have found anywhere to 70-85%).  From my experience though it happens some time after they receive the item where they file the fraudulent / sometimes deliberate chargeback. 

Seeing this one was caught quickly it is most likely hijacked account. One way you can catch them pretty easily is check the email address on file with eBay versus the PayPal payment email address.   Usually the one in eBay will differ and the PayPal one will be a hacked PayPal account.  Had one last week where it was a different UK ending and they did it on 2 back to back transactions with 2 different   cards.  The buyer changes the addresses to match and everything is verified as they have all the proper information of the hacked PayPal account as well.  

• Like 1

Message sent about an Ebay listing:

Can i make you an offer for this item please ?

Reply after being told to bid through the listing:

I'll like to offer you $600.00 for the LEGO Star Wars Red Five X-wing Starfighter because i won't be able to wait until the auction end due to the nature of my work. If my offer is been accepted the payment will be made through check. I will overnight the check via USPS Priority Mail so that you can get it within 24 - 48 hours. Also my mover will be coming for the pick up when you notify me that the check has been cleared by your bank. I can only pay through check because i haven't gotten chance to fund my PayPal account this year due to the nature of my work here in WA Seattle and i really need to buy this item for my long term business associate because he needs it. 

If my offer is been accepted Please TEXT me immediately at XXX-XXX-XXXX with your Full Name , Full Mailing Address and the Agreed Amount. Due to the nature of my work i don't have time to check my eBay messages promptly, Kindly send me a TEXT message only if my offer is been accepted. You will receive the payment once i get your text message with the information. I hope to see your text message on my phone soonest as i'm at work. Thanks David.

100% legit.

• Like 7

Message sent about an Ebay listing:
Can i make you an offer for this item please ?
Reply after being told to bid through the listing:
I'll like to offer you $600.00 for the LEGO Star Wars Red Five X-wing Starfighter because i won't be able to wait until the auction end due to the nature of my work. If my offer is been accepted the payment will be made through check. I will overnight the check via USPS Priority Mail so that you can get it within 24 - 48 hours. Also my mover will be coming for the pick up when you notify me that the check has been cleared by your bank. I can only pay through check because i haven't gotten chance to fund my PayPal account this year due to the nature of my work here in WA Seattle and i really need to buy this item for my long term business associate because he needs it. 

If my offer is been accepted Please TEXT me immediately at XXX-XXX-XXXX with your Full Name , Full Mailing Address and the Agreed Amount. Due to the nature of my work i don't have time to check my eBay messages promptly, Kindly send me a TEXT message only if my offer is been accepted. You will receive the payment once i get your text message with the information. I hope to see your text message on my phone soonest as i'm at work. Thanks David.
100% legit.

Wowza. We should open a scammer school with an emphasis on social engineering. Someone needs to tell this guy, he doesn't need to lay out his whole agenda in one message. Let it unravel naturally over several messages, like a typical negotiation.

Also, why is he leaning so hard on "the nature of his business?" I get it, your an important person. But, knowing your back story is not important to buying my LEGO. That "long term business associate" detail is total overkill.

And, this character he created can't decide if he's too busy to be bothered with buying something online, or so eager for this set that he's waiting by the phone for your text.

Scam School Teacher during weekly critique:
"Class, what did David do right here, and where could he improve his pitch? Remember to be supportive."
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Report him to eBay for trying to rob them out of their commission. That would get his account banned pretty quickly :D    

The message helpfully included an ebay flag saying that transactions must be completed on the site. Could also report "David" through the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center but these days the tips are probably more likely to be used for inspiration than investigation.

Scam School Teacher during weekly critique:
"Class, what did David do right here, and where could he improve his pitch? Remember to be supportive."

Probably should have found a copypasta message that wasn't written for office equipment.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

So USPS intercepted my Haunted House and I assume will be shipped back to me. What type of seller protection does Ebay/Paypal offer? I know I will at least get the HH back, but do I eat the shipping costs (plus the $13 interception fee)?

PayPal has the return-shipping promo thing. Maybe you can get the $13 back through that, since you are returning the package to yourself...I don't know.

• Like 1

Sold a small set and I sent it off light packet (no tracking) to a buyer with only 2 feedback and a gibberish name. The buyer messages me and says they did not receive the item and before I can reply, they open up a case and left negative feedback saying I never replied. I think it's a little unfair to say I didn't reply when I did, and the case isn't even closed yet. This is my first negative feedback in years and years (my 2nd one ever) and I'm pretty upset and I'm probably out the money too. Guess I shouldn't offer international shipping without charging like $60 for a tracking number.

Guest TabbyBoy

Since it's such a minefield out there these days, everything that I now sell online is sent tracked/insured/signed as I trust NOBODY that I've not met before. If buyers ask me for cheaper postage meaning that I'm not covered, I simply refuse and tell them to go elsewhere. Anything valuable is either picked up (from a secure location - not from home!) or hand delivered (when I have somebody with me). It's just not as safe as it was - very sad!

Don't entertain "buyer collect from home" as I now know of 2 fellow eBay sellers who were burgled soon after. Coincidence? I don't think so. Unfortunately, in the UK, we can't defend ourselves without risking a prison sentence.

1 hour ago, seapotato said:

Sold a small set and I sent it off light packet (no tracking) to a buyer with only 2 feedback and a gibberish name. The buyer messages me and says they did not receive the item and before I can reply, they open up a case and left negative feedback saying I never replied. I think it's a little unfair to say I didn't reply when I did, and the case isn't even closed yet. This is my first negative feedback in years and years (my 2nd one ever) and I'm pretty upset and I'm probably out the money too. Guess I shouldn't offer international shipping without charging like $60 for a tracking number. emoji35.png

Sorry to hear that.  I always make my decision on shipping without tracking based on feedback and dollar value.  If they don't like price of tracking, I can ship letter mail but they need to take all the risk and pay me via friends and family option.

• Like 3

I'm currently involved in similiar situation. Sold Bobba Fett diecast figure from hot toys for 500GBP after 3 months being continuously listed.
Then 4 days ago I sold this to a guy from Kent (UK), since it's a significant value I asked him for confirmation of the transaction. (100% positive feedback, zero feedbacks within last 12 months - this raised my attention)
I sent  to him email on sunday with few additional questions regarding this transaction and asked politely for phone number which I could provide to delivery company later. (UPS, DHL, you name it)
since today nothing received from him. And he did pay for the item straight after BIN.
Asked paypal about this trasaction yesterday, still waiting for their respond to my concerns.  My first bigger transaction on ebay and it's highly likely a fraud :( 

Edited by Shewie

Hopefully you had tracking since it was a higher ticket item. EBay might side with you if you can prove it was delivered?

I'm currently involved in similiar situation. Sold Bobba Fett diecast figure from hot toys for 500GBP after 3 months being continuously listed.
Then 4 days ago I sold this to a guy from Kent (UK), since it's a significant value I asked him for confirmation of the transaction. (100% positive feedback, zero feedbacks within last 12 months - this raised my attention)
I sent  to him email on sunday with few additional questions regarding this transaction and asked politely for phone number which I could provide to delivery company later. (UPS, DHL, you name it)
since today nothing received from him. And he did pay for the item straight after BIN.
Asked paypal about this trasaction yesterday, still waiting for their respond to my concerns.  My first bigger transaction on ebay and it's highly likely a fraud