Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Good, healthy debate - why I frequent Brickpicker.  See clear arguments on both sides.  Thank you to everyone weighing in.  

There's been 30+ posts on the matter, and I still don't know how I feel about it.

I fear I've lost the ability to form opinions on the internet when nobody is resorting to personal attacks, Hitler analogies, or sarcastic memes...

Come on guys, you're gonna have to work alot harder here to make a compelling argument!

;)
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

There's been 30+ posts on the matter, and I still don't know how I feel about it.

I fear I've lost the ability to form opinions on the internet when nobody is resorting to personal attacks, Hitler analogies, or sarcastic memes...

Come on guys, you're gonna have to work alot harder here to make a compelling argument!

;)

The right keeps blaming the victim (the poor uninformed buyer), and the left wants easier ways for the irresponsible to get free LEGO.

• Like 2

I couldn't find the solution on google or eBay forums.  So why not try here.

Since I'm the "family IT help desk", my aunt ask me for a favor. My cousin is getting a divorce and noticed her sister-in-law is following her ebay store.

How do you block / stop someone from following ebay stores? 

1 minute ago, jaisonline said:

Since I'm the "family IT help desk", my aunt ask me for a favor. My cousin is getting a divorce and noticed her sister-in-law is following her ebay store.

Hack their router and set a filter to block EBay.com, or get on their device and do a host file redirect.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jaisonline said:

Hire a sicario.

Seriously, that´s one loophole with all these sets, you can block buyers but apparently not lurkers.

Open a second store but keep the 1st one open. Anything you don't want interfering in laws knowing about put up on the new account. When the whole divorce is finalised return to using the original store - no sense losing years (?) of good feedback
  • Like 3

On 4/28/2017 at 9:03 AM, Migration said:

Any buyer that asks that many questions about a mixed/bulk lot I'm selling gets blocked. End of story. Bulk is bulk, do not buy based on what you think is there, pay only for what you actually see.

It's really not that difficult to answer questions. If you don't know the answer, that's also an acceptable answer to questions. But what you are saying is the equivalent of a used car dealer refusing to answer questions about a used car, and simply saying "it's used, you get what you get"

• Like 1

Long story reasonably short.

I've sold a promotional designer bag on ebay which I got for free... completely as described but the buyer wants me to offer some discount because the item says its not for resale on the packaging, and therefore feels its worth less. Its GSP so hes not willing to ship it back... sigh. Now i've been pretty blunt with him and said he can return it for a refund, and that's it as I feel that I done no wrong. 10 messages later hes still asking me in french to make a gesture. We are just going round in circles so...

The question is. If I offer a partial refund am I admitting wrong doing, and therefore opening myself up to a loss if he then decides to open a case?

The thing is, its not an expensive bag. £13.99 to be precise. Its not the money its the principle haha. Buyer has 990 positive feedback 

16 minutes ago, TheGallows said:

I've sold a promotional designer bag on ebay which I got for free... completely as described but the buyer wants me to offer some discount because the item says its not for resale on the packaging, and therefore feels its worth less. Its GSP so hes not willing to ship it back... sigh. Now i've been pretty blunt with him and said he can return it for a refund, and that's it as I feel that I done no wrong. 10 messages later hes still asking me in french to make a gesture. We are just going round in circles so...

The question is. If I offer a partial refund am I admitting wrong doing, and therefore opening myself up to a loss if he then decides to open a case?

The thing is, its not an expensive bag. £13.99 to be precise. Its not the money its the principle haha. Buyer has 990 positive feedback 

How much does he want 25% / 50%.  If it were me I’d pay him, write it off and move on.  For me the aggravation of having to deal with someone that isn’t going away and a GSP sale, wouldn’t be worth the few quid it would cost to make it go away.  A higher priced item sure I’d fight it.  For a % of £14, no.  Save your principles for when it’s real money.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, feed said:

How much does he want 25% / 50%.  If it were me I’d pay him, write it off and move on.  For me the aggravation of having to deal with someone that isn’t going away and a GSP sale, wouldn’t be worth the few quid it would cost to make it go away.  A higher priced item sure I’d fight it.  For a % of £14, no.  Save your principles for when it’s real money.   

Yeah I know, I came to that conclusion too. He's asking met to make an offer, which i'm going to. Was just wondering if that ebay then see that as some sort of admission of wrong doing on my part? More of a general question I suppose. I wouldnt be surprised if he then escalated it anyway.

Edited by TheGallows

16 minutes ago, TheGallows said:

You are already in active ongoing communications, so at this point you are somewhat limited in how you might choose to respond.

Every case is different (in how best to handle), but I would have started with a "The not for resale is meant in regard to the retail sale of this item. This item is being sold in the aftermarket as a collectible (so it doesn't apply)". I would then mention that I want them to be happy with the purchase, and then express my willingness to accept a return.

• Like 1

Just now, KShine said:

You are already in active ongoing communications, so at this point you are somewhat limited in how you might choose to respond.

Every case is different (in how best to handle), but I would have started with a "The not for resale is meant in regard to the retail sale of this item. This item is being sold in the aftermarket as a collectible (so it doesn't apply)". I would then mention that I want them to be happy with the purchase, and then express my willingness to accept a return.

Yeah pretty much exactly what I did. I've now offered a discount, we'll see what happens. I'm just gonna call it now.... fruitcake

It's really not that difficult to answer questions. If you don't know the answer, that's also an acceptable answer to questions. But what you are saying is the equivalent of a used car dealer refusing to answer questions about a used car, and simply saying "it's used, you get what you get"

I've noticed a trend selling on eBay, the more questions a buyer asks, the more likely they are to be a pain in my backside after the sale is complete. Just like a funko buyer "can you please pick the best box you have to send? Box condition is very important to me." Nope, buy from someone else.

• Like 7

I've noticed a trend selling on eBay, the more questions a buyer asks, the more likely they are to be a pain in my backside after the sale is complete. Just like a funko buyer "can you please pick the best box you have to send? Box condition is very important to me." Nope, buy from someone else.

I keep a canned response saved as an email template for these buyers. I got burned by a box snob once ... never again.
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Migration said:

the-simpsons-you-see-the-problem-is-comm

• Like 2

When I have an item that a box snob could easily have issues with, I make sure to put a "if you are looking for a pristine box, please buy elsewhere" phrase in my listing.

I still have pics, and I know it won't really cover me if they absolutely complain but I'm hoping that their own common sense will tell them to go elsewhere.

• Like 1

So how long does it typically take Paypal to make a decision? I sold and delivered a couple of sets to Arizona. Tracking shows same. Buyer said he didn't authorize this (through Paypal). I submitted the tracking number per their request and it's been nearly a month. $150 isn't that big a deal, but I would rather have it in my pocket.

5 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

So how long does it typically take Paypal to make a decision? I sold and delivered a couple of sets to Arizona. Tracking shows same. Buyer said he didn't authorize this (through Paypal). I submitted the tracking number per their request and it's been nearly a month. $150 isn't that big a deal, but I would rather have it in my pocket.

IIRC, something like up to 75 days.

Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 1