Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-Ultimate-Collectors-Millennium-Falcon-10179-ONLY-OUTER-BOX-/332271256660?hash=item4d5ce90454:g:OfoAAOSwGJlZHxTy

It's back! Wonder if this is the same seller...

No feedback from the last sale a few months ago, but I'd love to learn that someone is paying to ship an empty shipping box back and forth across the nation.

So, I just received an email recently.  Granted, this was an email with no subject line at all and wasn't even messaged through eBay.  Buyer wants to know if I've shipped him a polybag.

I double-check my records and yes, I did ship it to him 3 weeks ago and also delivery confirmation shows up so there's no discrepancy there.  

Out of curiosity, I checked the address in Google and it's a real residence.  

So, my own concern is how did he get access to my email address? I'd expect this through official eBay channels.  Second, probable scam or just curiosity?

So, I just received an email recently.  Granted, this was an email with no subject line at all and wasn't even messaged through eBay.  Buyer wants to know if I've shipped him a polybag.
I double-check my records and yes, I did ship it to him 3 weeks ago and also delivery confirmation shows up so there's no discrepancy there.  
Out of curiosity, I checked the address in Google and it's a real residence.  
So, my own concern is how did he get access to my email address? I'd expect this through official eBay channels.  Second, probable scam or just curiosity?

His payment/transaction history in PayPal possibly contains your email addy. (It's been a while for me, but I'm 99% sure it at least used to?)

I'd recommend replying to him via eBay just to be safe.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

His payment/transaction history in PayPal possibly contains your email addy. (It's been a while for me, but I'm 99% sure it at least used to?)

I'd recommend replying to him via eBay just to be safe.

Yup, PayPal transaction history and possibly whatever packing slip or invoice you provided.

• Like 1

I've had a new one today. Brand new ebay user who had 2 postal codes in their address, one located in brentford and the other in East London.

Somehow this passed as a paypal confirmed address, and ebay said they would offer seller protection as long as i send it to the address they confirm in the messaging system.

Luckily the buyer replied straight away and said that it was a fraudulent transaction and not to ship it.

Not sure what to make of this particular con, but how can an address with 2 postal codes be a confirmed address?

Edited by John82

45 minutes ago, John82 said:

I've had a new one today. Brand new ebay user who had 2 postal codes in their address, one located in brentford and the other in East London.

Somehow this passed as a paypal confirmed address, and ebay said they would offer seller protection as long as i send it to the address they confirm in the messaging system.

Luckily the buyer replied straight away and said that it was a fraudulent transaction and not to ship it.

Not sure what to make of this particular con, but how can an address with 2 postal codes be a confirmed address?

i don't know about UK but in us, it may be the address is in the boundary/borderline of two zip/postal codes and its possible.

2 hours ago, John82 said:

I had this too. It's a hacked account. Do not send the item out. The reason it has two postcodes is that by keeping the original postcode the address stays verified. However the address info is only enough to go to the first address (IE the scammers replacement). I questioned the user and within a few hours they sent a reply saying do not send, account has been hacked.

Edited by Fenix_2k1
  • Like 1

I know others have seen this before but I can't believe the audacity. I posted up a number of new items on eBay on Monday night and already had two begging messages asking me to knock £30-40 off an item because Timmy wants it but they don't quite have the funds. All my listings are straight up BIN listings no offers so I don't know why people get it into their heads that I might just change my mind based on a sob story. Would they walk into TRU and ask if they can have something cheaper because they can't really afford it?

Do you respond to these messages saying Hell No or just ignore?

10 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I know others have seen this before but I can't believe the audacity. I posted up a number of new items on eBay on Monday night and already had two begging messages asking me to knock £30-40 off an item because Timmy wants it but they don't quite have the funds. All my listings are straight up BIN listings no offers so I don't know why people get it into their heads that I might just change my mind based on a sob story. Would they walk into TRU and ask if they can have something cheaper because they can't really afford it?

Think of them really asking this then consider your response.

I am a reselling scumbag I have the money for your items I just want them cheaper so I can make more money so please knock 80% off your price for me

Edited by Will 4
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Do not engage.

Here's my latest incident.

10th May sold a 6080 to a person in Slovenia. Item sent Tracked from the UK.

4th June Negative Feedback left - No contact. Breaking my 100% record.

A few days later he raises a case.

As he has already left negative feedback I am disinclined to help him. So I play it by the book, stringing it out as long as possible.
I send the tracking information to the case.

Interestingly around 6th June the tracking info says it got to Slovenia, was rejected by them as incorrect address ( I used his Paypal address - he is a new user ) and the item had been sent back to Germany. Why Germany I am not sure, probably a central distribution centre.

8th June it switches to a status of Delivered on the Royal Mail website. I inform him of this. All goes quiet for 3 weeks.

In the meantime I contact eBay UK customer support to see if there is anything I can do and about the unfair feedback. They say they cannot help because he;s raised the claim on the eBay US site which is apparently separate - first I knew about THAT - from a company perspective.

This Monday he escalates it to eBay for a final decision and a refund. They contact me to provide evidence of proof of posting etc...
Before providing this I double check the tracking and note its changed again, the package is now in the UK, presumably coming back to me (have not got it at time of typing).
I send eBay a picture of the proof of posting, the tracking number, a link to the Royal Mail website, and a copy of his "wrong" address.
Within 12 hours they decide in my favour and restore my 100% feedback record. I have now blocked this user.

Sorry that was a bit long.

Thing is this is what my description says. Note the last two lines....

<<<<
Lost Items
:

All items are sent by Royal Mail (unless stated for UK buyers). Should your item not arrive I will investigate with Royal Mail but I cannot start this until the following times from posting have passed:

UK:                   3 weeks

Europe:              4 weeks

Rest of World:  5 weeks
Apologies these are Royal Mail’s rules not mine.
In my experience their investigations take a couple of weeks.

(In one case this year I got a buyer a refund from Royal Mail after eBay’s “Guaranteed Delivery” scheme said they were not entitled to one.)
>>>>

Had he contacted me nicely instead of leaving negative feedback as a FIRST resort. But this time, I'm not helping him any further.

• Like 1

Little disturbing return came in today.   Had a Nasa Saturn V come back UPS with reason REFUSED, RECEIVER DID NOT ORDER today.   Only noticed it right away as it was a fellow member here who is quite active in the community.  Box came back partially open and inside was a set far from what was sent.   Little shocked as the user had purchased multiples from us and a few were drop shipped and one went to them.   The one that went to them was the one that was refused.  No email, no contact, no nothing just an unexpected return.   The set box was heavily damaged and cut on the side and had loose pieces rattling.  Luckily after taking the time to inventory everything was there so no huge loss there.   Guess the the fact that no communication was made at all from an experienced seller and someone part of the group so to speak is what got to me most.  Funny thing was the listing was for distressed box items which were actually not bad at all and were from factory sealed cases and I noticed the username before shipping and actually sent them ones that were not even distressed.  

The box inside still had the 40lb craft paper perfectly intact as shown and the shipping box was not in to bad of shape considering the distance it went there and back.  Yet somehow the set I received back looked like this and had loose pieces.   Who knows maybe it happened in transit.  Maybe they forgot to change the dropship address like the others they shipped and never meant for it to go to them.   Maybe they didn't need it anymore after getting more of there own to fulfill there orders.    I'll go with one of those theories in my head seeing the person didn't make any contact.  You would think though if it was along those lines they would of contacted saying the set was damaged and asked for a return or if we had replacements or better yet just fill out an automated return.  Again the lack of communication leads the mind to think of worse things.  Would hate to think a fellow member would intentionally do something like that.

The close to 4 hour time it was delivered then dropped off to a UPS store for the refusal was a little strange too.  

06/22/2017

12:56 P.M.

Delivered

06/22/2017    4:42 P.M.

The shipment has been dropped off and is now at The UPS Store®.

06/22/2017 7:57 P.M. The receiver states the product was not ordered and has refused the delivery. / The package will be returned to the sender.

I've dealt with many members on here both buying and selling and never ran across any issues.   Some orders very large and some very small.  Everyone that I have dealt with knows how I pack and the time I take to do everything properly and the materials we use so to even have anything get damaged is a rarity.   Think in last 4 years or so I might of had 1 or 2 items get damaged to that extent and they were small sets.    Guess I am just shocked this happened from a community where everyone pretty much knows each other after all these years and there stores / usernames etc.  It's a pretty small group in the big scheme of things that is active and partakes daily.    

I went back and forth to whether to mention it at all but figured I would share.  The fact the user felt no need to contact me is what led to me posting without contacting them.   Anyways you're refund has been done.  

IMG_17213.JPG

IMG_17216.JPG

IMG_17228.JPG

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Little disturbing return came in today.   Had a Nasa Saturn V come back UPS with reason REFUSED, RECEIVER DID NOT ORDER today.   Only noticed it right away as it was a fellow member here who is quite active in the community.  Box came back partially open and inside was a set far from what was sent.   Little shocked as the user had purchased multiples from us and a few were drop shipped and one went to them.   The one that went to them was the one that was refused.  No email, no contact, no nothing just an unexpected return.   The set box was heavily damaged and cut on the side and had loose pieces rattling.  Luckily after taking the time to inventory everything was there so no huge loss there.   Guess the the fact that no communication was made at all from an experienced seller and someone part of the group so to speak is what got to me most.  Funny thing was the listing was for distressed box items which were actually not bad at all and were from factory sealed cases and I noticed the username before shipping and actually sent them ones that were not even distressed.  

The box inside still had the 40lb craft paper perfectly intact as shown and the shipping box was not in to bad of shape considering the distance it went there and back.  Yet somehow the set I received back looked like this and had loose pieces.   Who knows maybe it happened in transit.  Maybe they forgot to change the dropship address like the others they shipped and never meant for it to go to them.   Maybe they didn't need it anymore after getting more of there own to fulfill there orders.    I'll go with one of those theories in my head seeing the person didn't make any contact.  You would think though if it was along those lines they would of contacted saying the set was damaged and asked for a return or if we had replacements or better yet just fill out an automated return.  Again the lack of communication leads the mind to think of worse things.  Would hate to think a fellow member would intentionally do something like that.

The close to 4 hour time it was delivered then dropped off to a UPS store for the refusal was a little strange too.  

06/22/2017

12:56 P.M.

Delivered

06/22/2017    4:42 P.M.

The shipment has been dropped off and is now at The UPS Store00ae.png.

06/22/2017 7:57 P.M. The receiver states the product was not ordered and has refused the delivery. / The package will be returned to the sender.

I've dealt with many members on here both buying and selling and never ran across any issues.   Some orders very large and some very small.  Everyone that I have dealt with knows how I pack and the time I take to do everything properly and the materials we use so to even have anything get damaged is a rarity.   Think in last 4 years or so I might of had 1 or 2 items get damaged to that extent and they were small sets.    Guess I am just shocked this happened from a community where everyone pretty much knows each other after all these years and there stores / usernames etc.  It's a pretty small group in the big scheme of things that is active and partakes daily.    

I went back and forth to whether to mention it at all but figured I would share.  The fact the user felt no need to contact me is what led to me posting without contacting them.   Anyways you're refund has been done.  

IMG_17213.JPG

IMG_17216.JPG

IMG_17228.JPG

sorry to hear about this. 

Got to be something else besides the switcheroo. The buyer knows that you know who they are on here, ebay and Amazon and that you could have easily called them out, good restraint. Perhaps the will post up an explanation or if they want to remain anonymous send it to a mod to post for them. 

Switcheroo?

Raven mentioned the box was only partially open though?

Got to be something else besides the switcheroo. The buyer knows that you know who they are on here, ebay and Amazon and that you could have easily called them out, good restraint. Perhaps the will post up an explanation or if they want to remain anonymous send it to a mod to post for them. 

If the user is reading this and wants to post their side or somehow provide some info and does want to remain anonymous, send a note to Ed or Jeff.

3 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

all i can add is "that it was done with not good intention" and its not a "good thing"

if i am dealing with fellow BP'er and we have shared our personal information at one point. there are lot of heavy spenders but i personally have spent over 4 figures at @ravenb99 and he doesn't remember me by my name which leads me to believe that this person must be a real heavy spender for him to remember his name :) ... or he has tried something funny in the past as well to be noticed :D

having said that if one is spending over 5 digits would really want to screw things for $200. i mean even with 4 figures i would just take the set and absorb for the deal he must have been getting or turning over.

Edited by newbie77

14 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

all i can add is "that it was done with not good intention" and its not a "good thing"

if i am dealing with fellow BP'er and we have shared our personal information at one point. there are lot of heavy spenders but i personally have spent over 4 figures at @ravenb99 and he doesn't remember me by my name which leads me to believe that this person must be a real heavy spender for him to remember his name :) ... or he has tried something funny in the past as well to be noticed :D

having said that if one is spending over 5 digits would really want to screw things for $200. i mean even with 4 figures i would just take the set and absorb for the deal he must have been getting or turning over.

No one remembers transactions that go smoothly, they just blur into the others. 

• Like 1