Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

23 minutes ago, Migration said:

No one remembers transactions that go smoothly, they just blur into the others. 

unfortunately as you may or may not know... sung in FFDP tone

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

I just found it cheaper elsewhere ok people? Just kidding just kidding, It wasn't me.

now the state move makes sense jk

Edited by ravenb99
  • Like 1

On 27 June 2017 at 10:59 PM, Fenix_2k1 said:

I had this too. It's a hacked account. Do not send the item out. The reason it has two postcodes is that by keeping the original postcode the address stays verified. However the address info is only enough to go to the first address (IE the scammers replacement). I questioned the user and within a few hours they sent a reply saying do not send, account has been hacked.

Had another this morning, different hacked account, but the same first line: (xx) Mountfield Road E6 6BJ

£300 set on a £1 fvf as well.

Little disturbing return came in today.   Had a Nasa Saturn V come back UPS with reason REFUSED, RECEIVER DID NOT ORDER today.   Only noticed it right away as it was a fellow member here who is quite active in the community.  Box came back partially open and inside was a set far from what was sent.   Little shocked as the user had purchased multiples from us and a few were drop shipped and one went to them.   The one that went to them was the one that was refused.  No email, no contact, no nothing just an unexpected return.   The set box was heavily damaged and cut on the side and had loose pieces rattling.  Luckily after taking the time to inventory everything was there so no huge loss there.   Guess the the fact that no communication was made at all from an experienced seller and someone part of the group so to speak is what got to me most.  Funny thing was the listing was for distressed box items which were actually not bad at all and were from factory sealed cases and I noticed the username before shipping and actually sent them ones that were not even distressed.  
The box inside still had the 40lb craft paper perfectly intact as shown and the shipping box was not in to bad of shape considering the distance it went there and back.  Yet somehow the set I received back looked like this and had loose pieces.   Who knows maybe it happened in transit.  Maybe they forgot to change the dropship address like the others they shipped and never meant for it to go to them.   Maybe they didn't need it anymore after getting more of there own to fulfill there orders.    I'll go with one of those theories in my head seeing the person didn't make any contact.  You would think though if it was along those lines they would of contacted saying the set was damaged and asked for a return or if we had replacements or better yet just fill out an automated return.  Again the lack of communication leads the mind to think of worse things.  Would hate to think a fellow member would intentionally do something like that.
The close to 4 hour time it was delivered then dropped off to a UPS store for the refusal was a little strange too.  
06/22/2017
   12:56 P.M. Delivered
06/22/2017    4:42 P.M. The shipment has been dropped off and is now at The UPS Store.
06/22/2017 7:57 P.M. The receiver states the product was not ordered and has refused the delivery. / The package will be returned to the sender.

I've dealt with many members on here both buying and selling and never ran across any issues.   Some orders very large and some very small.  Everyone that I have dealt with knows how I pack and the time I take to do everything properly and the materials we use so to even have anything get damaged is a rarity.   Think in last 4 years or so I might of had 1 or 2 items get damaged to that extent and they were small sets.    Guess I am just shocked this happened from a community where everyone pretty much knows each other after all these years and there stores / usernames etc.  It's a pretty small group in the big scheme of things that is active and partakes daily.    
I went back and forth to whether to mention it at all but figured I would share.  The fact the user felt no need to contact me is what led to me posting without contacting them.   Anyways you're refund has been done.  
IMG_17213.thumb.JPG.19c6bfb0ff74b86256c125cda7e7f868.JPG
IMG_17216.thumb.JPG.f10a14bc7dcb7ce40250e56021003b0e.JPG
IMG_17228.thumb.JPG.2dd09c072162ddcad28d7b31adb858ae.JPG

I know that this is spelled out in the post but You'd think that being in the same community, other members would understand the risks and pains of selling and would be well.... kinder than that. A refused package- you could have kept it and kept the money. Once you refuse the package, you forefeit it and your money.

1 hour ago, John82 said:

Had another this morning, different hacked account, but the same first line: (xx) Mountfield Road E6 6BJ

£300 set on a £1 fvf as well.

Yeah losing your fvf offer is a bummer. What time of day were the sales and do you offer 1 day dispatch. I'm wondering if they try and catch you late at night for next day dispatch before the real account owner realises. I've started sending thank you for your purchase messages to give hacked user a chance to notice they've been hacked. Also I class next day dispatch only for orders before 5pm.

1 hour ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Yeah losing your fvf offer is a bummer. What time of day were the sales and do you offer 1 day dispatch. I'm wondering if they try and catch you late at night for next day dispatch before the real account owner realises. I've started sending thank you for your purchase messages to give hacked user a chance to notice they've been hacked. Also I class next day dispatch only for orders before 5pm.

I sold one at at 7.35am today, and the other was at 11.30am on Tuesday.

Yes I offer 1 day despatch, or same day on all orders before 12 noon if payment clears. So my dispatch policy could be the cause of the problems.

But I would have lost a lot of sales without the fast dispatch promise as I pitch my prices above the average sales.

Maybe the lowballing method is the way forward ? 

Edited by John82

Guest TabbyBoy

I've also been stung by a member on here and I'm so tempted to name and shame him on here right now as I have all the proof I need. It was also an eBay transaction about 2 years ago for a Fire Brigade when it was returned back to me with random MegaBloks and other clones, but still the genuine LEGO box. There's no way I sent it out like that as it came from a sealed factory box direct from LEGO themselves. I fought this on eBay and I was eventually reimbursed. If I didn't get my money back, a bailiff friend lived about 25 miles away and would've gladly helped me out. Luckily, it didn't come to that. Honestly, at the time, I didn't know that the buyer was a BP member until earlier this year when I tied up sold listings with "What LEGO set did you sell today and for how much?". C'mon guys, we are competitors but at least play fair!

When I was last on eBay, any item selling for >£100 had to be paid for by direct bank transfer to avoid the ever increasing number of PayPal chargebacks. Most genuine buyers never had a problem with this. Since then, I've not sold any item worth more than £75 on eBay and there's never been a problem since. eBay is NOT the place anymore to sell high value items, it's as simple as that I'm afraid. eBay security just sucks and it could easily be made virtually impossible to hack a user account these days. Why can't they use 2F authentication like a captcha, Google Authenicator or a code sent to the registered mobile phone?

Ed/Jeff... For any new members joining, can you please start asking for something like proof of address and a copy of a government ID. I'm happy to provide mine right now. Of course, to be kept confidential from the rest of us, but we can ask you to verify at the time? Also, how about a 2F authentication when logging in? This will also reduce the amount of trolls as forum owners in the UK are now starting to prosecute.

I know it's a lot of hassle, but is there another way to build up trust in this unsafe World?

12 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Ed/Jeff... For any new members joining, can you please start asking for something like proof of address and a copy of a government ID. I'm happy to provide mine right now. Of course, to be kept confidential from the rest of us, but we can ask you to verify at the time? Also, how about a 2F authentication when logging in? This will also reduce the amount of trolls as forum owners in the UK are now starting to prosecute.

I know it's a lot of hassle, but is there another way to build up trust in this unsafe World?

I was ok until this.
i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

• Like 6

Received an eBay order yesterday.  I packed it and shipped it out in the afternoon.  Picked up by FedEx in the evening so its already on its way.

Case opened today for an unauthorized Paypal transaction.  Do you guys typically respond and upload the tracking right away or wait for it to be delivered?

I have to respond to Paypal by 7/10 and the estimated delivery date is 7/7.  Thanks.

Received an eBay order yesterday.  I packed it and shipped it out in the afternoon.  Picked up by FedEx in the evening so its already on its way.
Case opened today for an unauthorized Paypal transaction.  Do you guys typically respond and upload the tracking right away or wait for it to be delivered?
I have to respond to Paypal by 7/10 and the estimated delivery date is 7/7.  Thanks.

Right away, or your seller performance can take a hit.

• 5 weeks later...

After taking a long break, just started listing some items on eBay again.  Have listed 9 sets for sale of the past few days.  Was just checking each listing, seeing how many page views to see which sets might be picking up more interest than others... most of them have 10 or 15 page views, or so... except the 10221 SSD I listed. Not the lowest priced listing in the group, but  it has 475 page views in 3 days... what's up with that?  Some 'bots checking out my listing?  Why so many page views?

43 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

After taking a long break, just started listing some items on eBay again.  Have listed 9 sets for sale of the past few days.  Was just checking each listing, seeing how many page views to see which sets might be picking up more interest than others... most of them have 10 or 15 page views, or so... except the 10221 SSD I listed. Not the lowest priced listing in the group, but  it has 475 page views in 3 days... what's up with that?  Some 'bots checking out my listing?  Why so many page views?

Hmmm, you made me look at mine. I relisted mine 7-8 days ago and it has little over 700 views with 5 watchers.

Edited by Lordoflego

• 3 weeks later...

This is not eBay but Kijiji.

There's a trade that supposed to take place with a NIB set. The other party in all email correspondences mentioning his set is mint and box is perfect . He insisted on to discuss over phone further. On calling and probing further, then only I realized that the set is built. I think he is desperate to trade as he kept insisting I got a better deal.

In the end I called it off. With the shady behaviour, I am not sure even the set is complete in the first place.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0031.JPG

Is this a legit seal for a Space Needle (21003)?

All of the Space Needle sets I've seen have two pieces of factory tape. This set has only one. And the font of the seal code looks a bit different. Anyone seen this before? It also sounds like there are too many pieces not in sealed bags moving around inside the box.

IMG_0031.JPG.782072967d49c598e9d96ca48131ed15.JPG

Is this a legit seal for a Space Needle (21003)?
All of the Space Needle sets I've seen have two pieces of factory tape. This set has only one. And the font of the seal code looks a bit different. Anyone seen this before? It also sounds like there are too many pieces not in sealed bags moving around inside the box.

I have seen those bigger letter seals on factory reseals before ...
  • Like 1

Is a factory reseal when LEGO themselves reseal the box?

Yes, typically done to replace a part that was found to be defective across a lot etc. I think I last saw such a seal on a Dimensions starter pack, which had been reopened to have a Supergirl polybag added. It did have BOTH the old AND the new seals though, with the new big letter seals placed over the old ones.
  • Like 1

Totally legit offer on eBay, I'm sure.

Hi,

Id like to buy all your Lego sets you have available, and pay you now for your whole lot.

We buy ones that are in nice condition boxes.

Please send me a list of what you have to offer. model number, qty, and condition. 

Kind Regards, 

XXXX XXXXXXXX

Email 
xxxx[at]xxxxxx.com

Tel

XXX-XX-XXXX

• Haha 1

Totally legit offer on eBay, I'm sure.

Hi,

Id like to buy all your Lego sets you have available, and pay you now for your whole lot.

We buy ones that are in nice condition boxes.

Please send me a list of what you have to offer. model number, qty, and condition. 

Kind Regards, 

XXXX XXXXXXXX

Email 
xxxx[at]xxxxxx.com

Tel

XXX-XX-XXXX

Got same offer last week. Sold my entire collection.

JK. for anyone who thought I may be serious.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Received a message from someone interested in a hard to find set I listed. Straight off, quoted Brickset and complaining my set is overpriced. Willing to pay only what Brickset quoted.

Ended up reminding the person  to click on the link on Brickset and look at what the price now for sets available for sales. The cheapest price is from USA (only $40 cheaper) excluding shipping, insurance and custom duty. More so, not many sellers in Canada. Mine in fact is cheapest amongst Canadian seller.

10 hours ago, Ogelwoc said:

Received a message from someone interested in a hard to find set I listed. Straight off, quoted Brickset and complaining my set is overpriced. Willing to pay only what Brickset quoted.

Ended up reminding the person  to click on the link on Brickset and look at what the price now for sets available for sales. The cheapest price is from USA (only $40 cheaper) excluding shipping, insurance and custom duty. More so, not many sellers in Canada. Mine in fact is cheapest amongst Canadian seller.

That was courteous of you to respond. I don't even bother with those people. This isn't Pawn Stars and they aren't the dealer.

• Like 7

Here's a story illustrating why I rarely offer "free shipping," and only in cases of a low ticket item that is unlikely to be returned. Here's how I make sure I never loose money on a return on eBay.

I listed ten 17 watt LED light bulbs that weigh 4lb 8oz packed. I priced them at $26.99 and 6lb calculated sipping via Priority Mail. Shipping within my zone would be $10.40 for these.

A guy on the east coast buys them and pays $25.25 shipping.The order came in as I was about to hit the Post Office and I immediately packed and shipped it. "I'm going to make this guy's day with my lightning fast turnaround time," I thought.

Shortly after leaving the PO, I get this message:

i WISH TO CANCEL THIS ORDER. IT WAS MISTAKENLY PLACED BY PAYPAL. WHEN THE ORDER WAS VIEW ON PAYPA IT WAS PLACED WITH MY OK IT IS LESS THAN A HALF HOUR SINCE THE ORDER WAS MISTAKENLY PLACED BY PAYPAL. THE SHIPPING COSTS ARE THE ISSUE. PLEASE DON'T SHIP THIS ORDER AND CANCEL IT IMMEDIATELY.

Uh-oh. The all caps and awkward language made my Spidey Senses tingle. I wrote back:

Dang, this went out at 6pm today to *redacted* in NY, NY. I'm sorry about that.

The only thing to do, at this point, is to refuse the package, and it will be sent back to me. Upon receipt, I can refund the purchase price. I cannot, however, refund the shipping cost.

Sorry, randrace

The guy immediately opens an 'item not received' case in PayPal with a similarly worded all caps note complaining about the high shipping cost. I accelerate the case and the funds are frozen.

A day passes, and I decide I want that sweet sweet money now rather than later. I call PayPal, the rep sees the tracking and that item is in transit. He closes the case in my favor, unfreezing the funds.

Two weeks later, I get the package back. The guy had refused it as I suggested. Sweet! I relisted the bulbs and sold them to someone else. I then get this message from Mr. All Caps:

I CONTACTED BOTH PAYPAL AND EBAY WITHIN MINUTES OF THIS ORDER HAVING BEEN ERRONEOUSLY PLACED. THE REQUEST WAS THAT THE ORDER BE CANCELLED. I HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE ITEM IN QUESTION IN FACT IT WAS REFUSED AND RETURNED TO YOU BY USPS.

THE COST OF THE SHIPPING IS THE MAJOR PROBLEM. IT ALL BUT EQUALS THE COST OF THE ITEM SOLD MAKING IT A VERY HIGH PRICE FOR THE ITEM IN QUESTION. SINCE I DID NOT OPEN NOR DID I IN FACT WANT THE ITEM IN QUESTION I REQUEST A REFUND FOR THE ITEM IN QUESTION. THE WAS A TOTAL UNWILLINGNESS TO DEAL WITH THIS ISSUE BY EITHER EBAY OR PAYPAL WITHIN MINUTES OF MY REQUEST THAT THE ERRONEOUS ORDER, MYSTERIOUSLY PLACED WAS "MADE". THE PACKAGE WITH THE BULBS WAS UNOPENED AND MARKED REFUSED AND RETURNED VIA USPS. PLEASE CREDIT MY ACCOUNT.

My reply was:

You need to initiate a return in eBay. Go to Purchases. To the right of the item, click on 'more actions.' From the drop down menu, click 'return item.' Follow the instructions from there so I can process your return.

Thanks, randrace

My impression is that the outcome he would be happy with is a full refund. And had he caught me before I dropped the package, I would have canceled the shipping label and given him a complete refund. As it stands now, with my 20% restocking fee, he's looking at a $21.60 refund.

I imagine I have some negative feedback in my future, written in all caps.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, minicoopers11 said:

That was courteous of you to respond. I don't even bother with those people. This isn't Pawn Stars and they aren't the dealer.

To be honest, I normally respond the first message. I sold some sets to buyers by being courteous. Of course, there were few nasty responses.

I do see your point. 

13 hours ago, randrace said:

Here's a story illustrating why I rarely offer "free shipping," and only in cases of a low ticket item that is unlikely to be returned. Here's how I make sure I never loose money on a return on eBay.

I listed ten 17 watt LED light bulbs that weigh 4lb 8oz packed. I priced them at $26.99 and 6lb calculated sipping via Priority Mail. Shipping within my zone would be $10.40 for these.

A guy on the east coast buys them and pays $25.25 shipping.The order came in as I was about to hit the Post Office and I immediately packed and shipped it. "I'm going to make this guy's day with my lightning fast turnaround time," I thought.

Shortly after leaving the PO, I get this message:

i WISH TO CANCEL THIS ORDER. IT WAS MISTAKENLY PLACED BY PAYPAL. WHEN THE ORDER WAS VIEW ON PAYPA IT WAS PLACED WITH MY OK IT IS LESS THAN A HALF HOUR SINCE THE ORDER WAS MISTAKENLY PLACED BY PAYPAL. THE SHIPPING COSTS ARE THE ISSUE. PLEASE DON'T SHIP THIS ORDER AND CANCEL IT IMMEDIATELY.

Uh-oh. The all caps and awkward language made my Spidey Senses tingle. I wrote back:

Dang, this went out at 6pm today to *redacted* in NY, NY. I'm sorry about that.

The only thing to do, at this point, is to refuse the package, and it will be sent back to me. Upon receipt, I can refund the purchase price. I cannot, however, refund the shipping cost.

Sorry, randrace

The guy immediately opens an 'item not received' case in PayPal with a similarly worded all caps note complaining about the high shipping cost. I accelerate the case and the funds are frozen.

A day passes, and I decide I want that sweet sweet money now rather than later. I call PayPal, the rep sees the tracking and that item is in transit. He closes the case in my favor, unfreezing the funds.

Two weeks later, I get the package back. The guy had refused it as I suggested. Sweet! I relisted the bulbs and sold them to someone else. I then get this message from Mr. All Caps:

I CONTACTED BOTH PAYPAL AND EBAY WITHIN MINUTES OF THIS ORDER HAVING BEEN ERRONEOUSLY PLACED. THE REQUEST WAS THAT THE ORDER BE CANCELLED. I HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE ITEM IN QUESTION IN FACT IT WAS REFUSED AND RETURNED TO YOU BY USPS.

THE COST OF THE SHIPPING IS THE MAJOR PROBLEM. IT ALL BUT EQUALS THE COST OF THE ITEM SOLD MAKING IT A VERY HIGH PRICE FOR THE ITEM IN QUESTION. SINCE I DID NOT OPEN NOR DID I IN FACT WANT THE ITEM IN QUESTION I REQUEST A REFUND FOR THE ITEM IN QUESTION. THE WAS A TOTAL UNWILLINGNESS TO DEAL WITH THIS ISSUE BY EITHER EBAY OR PAYPAL WITHIN MINUTES OF MY REQUEST THAT THE ERRONEOUS ORDER, MYSTERIOUSLY PLACED WAS "MADE". THE PACKAGE WITH THE BULBS WAS UNOPENED AND MARKED REFUSED AND RETURNED VIA USPS. PLEASE CREDIT MY ACCOUNT.

My reply was:

You need to initiate a return in eBay. Go to Purchases. To the right of the item, click on 'more actions.' From the drop down menu, click 'return item.' Follow the instructions from there so I can process your return.

Thanks, randrace

My impression is that the outcome he would be happy with is a full refund. And had he caught me before I dropped the package, I would have canceled the shipping label and given him a complete refund. As it stands now, with my 20% restocking fee, he's looking at a $21.60 refund.

I imagine I have some negative feedback in my future, written in all caps.

If you get negative, contact eBay. I'm sure they'll remove it as you didn't do anything wrong.