79007 - Battle at the Black Gate

I just found one Battle at the Black Gate at Target in the Clearance aisle for 30% off ($39.98).  After surfing the eBay listings on this one, it appears to be a nice set to part out.  Most of them are selling this set parted out like so (with an estimate of eBay's BIN sold auction prices):

1. Black gate by itself (will allow buyer to double the size of the current Black Gate) - $25-30 

2. Mouth of Sauron fig w/ horse - $15-$17

3. Gandalf the White fig - $10-11

4. Eagle maxi-fig - $10-14

5. Aragorn fig - $9-11

6. Orc figs (2) - $10

That's between $79-93, not bad for a $40 purchase.  Seems like a no-brainer, right?  Yet with all these exclusive figs, will it pay to wait on this set until EOL?  Let me know your thoughts.  I'm leaning toward parting it out - this will give me a chance to build the Black Gate, an added bonus.

I got a similar deal, and am parting out 2 out of the 3 that I was able to get. 

The reason why is like you said: people will want 2 of the actual structure, but won't really want two of the minifigs (Gandalf, Aragorn, and MOS).  So unlike most sets, you can get a pretty good premium for the structure only.  The minifigs are good too.  If you want to receive a bit of an income, then I think this is a good way to go.  For me personally I like to have cash flowing in to offset some what is going out.   Think of it this way:  in the future, will you be able to buy this set again for $40?  I am thinking I will, and don't want to tie up space and captial waiting for Xmas 2014, therefor I am parting out some of the sets in my possesion now.

I got a similar deal, and am parting out 2 out of the 3 that I was able to get. 

The reason why is like you said: people will want 2 of the actual structure, but won't really want two of the minifigs (Gandalf, Aragorn, and MOS).  So unlike most sets, you can get a pretty good premium for the structure only.  The minifigs are good too.  If you want to receive a bit of an income, then I think this is a good way to go.  For me personally I like to have cash flowing in to offset some what is going out.   Think of it this way:  in the future, will you be able to buy this set again for $40?  I am thinking I will, and don't want to tie up space and captial waiting for Xmas 2014, therefor I am parting out some of the sets in my possesion now.

Great point - it's really early in the sales cycle for this (I still can't believe Target was clearancing this out), so it should be available later at the same price.

Anyone buying figures right now is kinda ''dumb'' (forgive my language) because it is evident everyone buying 2 will try to get rid of the figs...

You will get Gandalf and Aragorn and Mouth for 5$ a piece MAX within X-mas... maybe X-mas 2014 for 3.5$

You are forgetting eBay 7-10% fees as well. (7% with Top Rated 20% off, 10% with no store).  And they keep hiking fees since they are the biggest game in town.

We all know eBay's fees cut into profit, but that doesn't really change the decision, does it?  If I pay 10% for eBay fees, and then I'm looking at between $7-9 off the selling price.  I'm still clearing $32-$44 for a relatively quick sale. 

This may sound rude, but it's not intended to be so please don't take it so.  Most people on here are very familiary with eBay fees - they aren't "forgotten", instead they're typically glossed over as an assumed cost.  In this case, eBay fees weren't really that relevant.

We all know eBay's fees cut into profit, but that doesn't really change the decision, does it?  If I pay 10% for eBay fees, and then I'm looking at between $7-9 off the selling price.  I'm still clearing $32-$44 for a relatively quick sale. 

This may sound rude, but it's not intended to be so please don't take it so.  Most people on here are very familiary with eBay fees - they aren't "forgotten", instead they're typically glossed over as an assumed cost.  In this case, eBay fees weren't really that relevant.

Didn't sound rude at all.  I was just correcting your numbers.  Very few people can find 79007 at $40.  $52-55, sometimes with sales.  $58 after credit card bonuses is normal.

With that said, your profit numbers are too optimistic.

1. Black gate by itself (will allow buyer to double the size of the current Black Gate) - $25-30 

2. Mouth of Sauron fig w/ horse - $15-$17

3. Gandalf the White fig - $10-11

4. Eagle maxi-fig - $10-14

5. Aragorn fig - $9-11

6. Orc figs (2) - $10

That's between $79-93

I can tell you you'll get $70-75 after fees ($75 if you have 20% off FVF).  I've sold many sets so I know these numbers down to the penny.

So, yes if you get it for $40+3 in tax = $43 less $70 is more like $28 at best for a lot of work.  BUT....most of us can't find them at $40, so it's kind of irrelevant.  Most pay $10-15 more, cutting it down to $13-18 profit for a ton of work shipping out a lot of stuff and multiple trips to the post office.

Still profit, and yes, at $40 I'd snap them up too.  We all know about PP/eBay fees, but they are far more agressively cutting into total sales lately and that now includes fees on s/****.

• Like 1

Didn't sound rude at all.  I was just correcting your numbers.  Very few people can find 79007 at $40.  $52-55, sometimes with sales.  $58 after credit card bonuses is normal.

I can tell you you'll get $70-75 after fees ($75 if you have 20% off FVF).  I've sold many sets so I know these numbers down to the penny.

So, yes if you get it for $40+3 in tax = $43 less $70 is more like $28 at best for a lot of work.  BUT....most of us can't find them at $40, so it's kind of irrelevant.  Most pay $10-15 more, cutting it down to $13-18 profit for a ton of work shipping out a lot of stuff and multiple trips to the post office.

Still profit, and yes, at $40 I'd snap them up too.  We all know about PP/eBay fees, but they are far more agressively cutting into total sales lately and that now includes fees on s/****.

43 less 70 is 27. :)

Still profit, and yes, at $40 I'd snap them up too.  We all know about PP/eBay fees, but they are far more agressively cutting into total sales lately and that now includes fees on s/h.

phat64 - The numbers in my previous post were gross sale prices, not profit expectations - sorry for the confusion!  I agree with you - profit will be in the $30 range flipping this set.

Yea, still a great find at $40.  The Great Eagle, Gandalf, and Sauron sell like hotcakes.  People will buy the Sauron without the horse, but the horse itself doesn't sell well at the $7 gross, so I bundled it with Sauron and added $3-4.  Just depends on how many auctions you want to run.  Lots = more work, but more money.  Combo lots, less money, less work.

But those three will sell out the fastest at decent prices.

Plus..the two that I parted out I combined the gates to make one "real" gate.  The way Lego has it set up if you combine the gates, then you actually just have two little gates...kind of lame.  I don't remember there being two separate gates in the movie.  So with a little creativity and re-engineering made the two gates into one large gate.  It was fun, not like work at all.

Plus..the two that I parted out I combined the gates to make one "real" gate.  The way Lego has it set up if you combine the gates, then you actually just have two little gates...kind of lame.  I don't remember there being two separate gates in the movie.  So with a little creativity and re-engineering made the two gates into one large gate.  It was fun, not like work at all.

How interesting. Would it be presumptuous of me to ask for some pictures? I'm rather curious to how one large Black Gate would look like.

• 4 weeks later...