79007 - Battle at the Black Gate

There are still a few sets of the pirate ambush ship around for $70 and I'm wondering if I should pick these up or go for the black gates.  Basically, what's the better investment, 4 black gates ($160) or 2 pirate ambush ships ($140)?

buy them all. part out the black gates now ($30/profit on each), and that will basically pay for the pirate ambush sets which you can hold to sell after eol.

• Like 1

The Ship is going to be much better than the black gate. Where are you finding the ships for $70?

Quite a few Targets have them for that price right now...They have a clearance on Black Gate and the pirate ship...it's crazy.  30% off and they were just released.

I so wouldn't mind extras of the Mouth of Sauron minfigure. I mean, check out his unmasked head! It's freakin' awesome! Try telling me that does not look like a cenobite from Hellraiser to you. :yahoo: So many possibilities....and "such sights to show you." :spiteful:

Definitely a great comparison.  That fig is awesome.

I would try scanning them anyway. I scored 4 Helms Deep at $85 and the sets themselves and the shelf did not show the discount. The shelf had $129.99.

same here. my target had the discount on the lotr sets in question but the shelf tags showed reg retail, even though they scanned otherwise. always scan to make sure!

I would try scanning them anyway. I scored 4 Helms Deep at $85 and the sets themselves and the shelf did not show the discount. The shelf had $129.99.

That's right.  I just came back from a local Target, the price tag for Black Gate and Pirate Ship still show full price, but when I bring them to price scanner, they show up at $41.97 and $69.97.  Worth a try.   I grabbed one of each.  I still still debating if I should go back and get more pirate ships.

I went to Target today to grab the one Helms Deep they had and when I went to the LEGO aisle a guy was already holding it and ended up taking it. However they had one Pirate Ship Ambush with no tag so I scanned it and it came up $69.97 so my trip ended up worthwhile.

Is it possible we have a Brickpicker handshake so you know it's one of the members that beat you to a set?

I also had a good score for black gates and pirate ships (5 and 2) for 30% off.  Any reason why the black gate and pirate ships were discounted? 

I was trying to figure that out myself.   I think both of these sets are awesome!  I ended up with 4 pirate ships and 5 gates at 30% off, plus another 2 pirate ships for $35 each and 1 gate for $21 (plus tax).  

Was at the Target at 45 & I35 and what do you know Pirate Ship Ambush 69.98. I bought three but they had 3 more, so if you know where this is at I suggest checking it out

Thanks for the tip...I'm gonna try the Target by my work (Dell children's hospital) tomorrow and if theirs aren't clearanced I'll hit another location or two.

I also had a good score for black gates and pirate ships (5 and 2) for 30% off.  Any reason why the black gate and pirate ships were discounted? 

They ran out of shelf space.  Basically any Target with half to three quarters of an Lego aisle have those on clearance.

Darn, I always forget to do the simpliest thing of scanning sometimes. Course I already went way over my limit when I found Helm's Deep, Goblin King Battle, and Ghost Train (among others) for the sale I did. Thanks for the tip and I'll try to keep that in mind next time I can run by Target.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Is the Battle at the Black Gate a good set to part out?  I was trying to do the math.  Based on what I see prices going for on Ebay and such it would seem to me that if you sell everything separately you should be able to get about $66.  It's $45 on Amazon right now, or wherever you can get it on discount.  I really want some of the minifigs for myself (Aragorn, Gandalf and Mouth of Sauron) so I was thinking about buying two, and was hoping that selling the rest off would just about pay for it.  Am I off?  I know sometimes when you see prices on Ebay and such that isn't necessarily what you get for them.  Anyone have any experience parting out this set?  I am also thinking it might be a good long-term investment down the road, though it might take a while. 

Is the Battle at the Black Gate a good set to part out?  I was trying to do the math.  Based on what I see prices going for on Ebay and such it would seem to me that if you sell everything separately you should be able to get about $66.  It's $45 on Amazon right now, or wherever you can get it on discount.  I really want some of the minifigs for myself (Aragorn, Gandalf and Mouth of Sauron) so I was thinking about buying two, and was hoping that selling the rest off would just about pay for it.  Am I off?  I know sometimes when you see prices on Ebay and such that isn't necessarily what you get for them.  Anyone have any experience parting out this set?  I am also thinking it might be a good long-term investment down the road, though it might take a while. 

Uhm, if my math does not fail me this time, it is actually $36 on Amazon if you buy a pair. It is part of the current BOGO 40%