Name that brick?

willy431

Question

Can anybody identify a set that this white brick might have come in.  I am drawing a blank.  Trying to get an offer together on a lot off craigslist.  I know I have seen it somewhere valuable.

g10d.jpg

Here is the listing for context if that helps.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tag/3971968867.html

Heading over there at 9 when he gets home from work to look at the lot.  He doesn't have any boxes or instructions--and no idea what is there--no figures---but looks like a nice lot.  Said he would take a c note if I come tonight.

Edit---also---any interest in maybe ansticky a topic named---name that brick--- sort of thing....where we can look at lots/mixed lots and give thumbs up/down?  And if members help someone spot a great deal--person who got the deal can kick 5-10 bucks back to the person who helped identify bricks/sets that were worthy of purchase?

23 answers to this question

just saw this thread. otherwise I would have answered it earlier. We went to almost all free lego builds (lego store, toysrus, and others).

I just took a photo of the back of the instruction that lists all the pieces and how the finished product looks.

I think I know what it is! it is the Chima set Toysrus gave out the past Saturday.

post-14603-0-22857500-1375336361_thumb.j

• Like 3

Guest eightbrick

I am assuming that you are talking about the white reverse arches (this piece: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30099). If that is the case, this is a very strange lot because according to Bricklink, that piece only appears in one set, the 2013 Creator Plane (31101) and in that set it only includes one of the piece (here's the link to the set's that have that piece: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=30099&in=S). I am seeing no evidence that there are a bunch of 31101 Aviation Adventures in there by looking at the other pieces included.

If we are in fact looking at this (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=2339&in=S) white arch that can be confused with the one I talked about before in small pictures it appears in 15 sets.

The only other white piece I can imagine you are wondering about is this guy (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=48092&in=S) that seems to be littering the bottom of the box in reasonable quantity. If that is the case, follow the link to see the 14 sets it appears in as white.

Hope that helped, good luck with the buy.

Thanks----yes---sorry---should have been more specific when I said the white one.  I meant the inverted arch---didn't know what it was called--was looking for stepped slope and everything it wasn't!   Very odd---I thought there was a set that had a bunch of those---but obviously not.  I have no idea--maybe it was on the pick a brick wall?  Think I might call and tell him not to hurry home.  I saw the brown and green and was thinking potter--which is really all I am after.   No idea what he has there!  Probably not worth the trip.

Edit---also---any interest in maybe and sticky a topic named---name that brick--- sort of thing....where we can look at lots/mixed lots and give thumbs up/down?  And if members help someone spot a great deal--person who got the deal can kick 5-10 bucks back to the person who helped identify bricks/sets that were worthy of purchase?

We can do this and add a button to where people can say "Yes, this was the correct answer" and the person with the "right" answer can get bonus brickpoints.  I don't want to deal with giving people money.  Individuals can do that privately on their own.

• Like 1

That would be great. I only mentioned money...because I sometimes need help. With brick/set identification...and can't really contribute help help on that topic...but I can kick back some cash if I score a nice lot of mixed thanks to a member spotting a great deal. There are tons of mixed lots craigslist deals in my area...but I never know if it's worth it without boxes/set numbers to look up on this site.

Guest eightbrick

Good idea, Willy, I find it sometimes annoying to look through a bunch of seperate threads for individual identification of pieces so a single thread for this kind of thing, akin to Brickset's piece ID thread, would be quite helpful. It should also be noted that the thumbs down button has been removed, but I find that generally, people will be willing to give out answers without promise of money, or even brickpoints (myself, I will do it to an extent for a simple thanks :D ). If it is a lot of work for Jeff to add a button for correct answers, I'm sure the current +1 button will work just fine; in other threads like this people will often give a rep[ point to whoever answers first/the best.

Good idea, Willy, I find it sometimes annoying to look through a bunch of seperate threads for individual identification of pieces so a single thread for this kind of thing, akin to Brickset's piece ID thread, would be quite helpful. It should also be noted that the thumbs down button has been removed, but I find that generally, people will be willing to give out answers without promise of money, or even brickpoints (myself, I will do it to an extent for a simple thanks :D ). If it is a lot of work for Jeff to add a button for correct answers, I'm sure the current +1 button will work just fine; in other threads like this people will often give a rep[ point to whoever answers first/the best.

We have already tried that button for a couple of days. It works well and is very straightforward, so I am sure Jeff can turn it on without issue.

Guest eightbrick

We have already tried that button for a couple of days. It works well and is very straightforward, so I am sure Jeff can turn it on without issue.

Ah, good. Koolbeans. I don't really know anything about how much work is involved in programming so, forgive me of my ignorance LOL

Would it move the best/correct answer to the top of the thread--or be marked in any way?  What Brian did was amazing to me---I spent at least 30 mins looking up various names of what I thought that brick could be called--and never found it.  I posted here--and what--15 mins later he knew exaclty what it was and what sets it could be from,  Amazing.   I can do that with stocks after 20 years of active "week" trader-ing in stocks.  People mention a company name, and I know the trading symbol, and a pretty good guess at the stock price and range--and any news about it.  I have cnbc running in the house, and investing podcasts running all night at work on my laptop.

Unfortunately my hard drive is getting full with stock info-----starting to delete some of those "files" and replace them with lego files--but might just end up going to a shrink and reformating the whole mess!

Can anybody identify a set that this white brick might have come in. I am drawing a blank. Trying to get an offer together on a lot off craigslist. I know I have seen it somewhere valuable.

g10d.jpg

Here is the listing for context if that helps.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tag/3971968867.html

Heading over there at 9 when he gets home from work to look at the lot. He doesn't have any boxes or instructions--and no idea what is there--no figures---but looks like a nice lot. Said he would take a c note if I come tonight.

Edit---also---any interest in maybe ansticky a topic named---name that brick--- sort of thing....where we can look at lots/mixed lots and give thumbs up/down? And if members help someone spot a great deal--person who got the deal can kick 5-10 bucks back to the person who helped identify bricks/sets that were worthy of purchase?

This kinda looks like someone who went crazy at a Pick-A-Brick wall, or someone who thought they needed X number of these pieces for a MOC and went crazy buying it. Those inverted white arches are selling for about $.50 each on Bricklink if you can get the lot cheaply. Also, those green 8x8 plates are selling for around $.70 per plate, and there seem to be a ton in that box.

Nice job on the ID, Brian.

This kinda looks like someone who went crazy at a Pick-A-Brick wall, or someone who thought they needed X number of these pieces for a MOC and went crazy buying it. Those inverted white arches are selling for about $.50 each on Bricklink if you can get the lot cheaply. Also, those green 8x8 plates are selling for around $.70 per plate, and there seem to be a ton in that box.

Nice job on the ID, Brian.

I would agree.  If it was only available in one set, I would almost guarantee these are from a PAB wall.

I would grab it if it's a decent price.  I would use mine for building though.  Those white pieces would go nice with a moc.

9o8u.jpg

WOW!  That is exaclty what it is---and the answer was literally staring me in the face!  I KNEW I just saw that weird white piece somewhere---I was thinking it was on a pricey set---but it was watching my son build that chima thing last Saturday!  GREAT JOB!  I am impressed.

And that jerk on craigs was being cute.  Said it was his kids collection, and he wasn't sure what sets were mixed in.  BS.  He is probably a TRU employee who scooped up the leftovers from the free build and is cashing in.  All different sets over the years my foot---what a liar.

Guest eightbrick

I selected the answer to this question. Does anyone disagree that Boomzoom provided the correct answer?  Boomzoom also got 50 brickpoints for identifying the correct piece :)

I completely disagree... that you only gave him 50 brickpoints for that answer. That is awesome memory and IDing skills by him.

(pic removed for space)

WOW!  That is exaclty what it is---and the answer was literally staring me in the face!  I KNEW I just saw that weird white piece somewhere---I was thinking it was on a pricey set---but it was watching my son build that chima thing last Saturday!  GREAT JOB!  I am impressed.

And that jerk on craigs was being cute.  Said it was his kids collection, and he wasn't sure what sets were mixed in.  BS.  He is probably a TRU employee who scooped up the leftovers from the free build and is cashing in.  All different sets over the years my foot---what a liar.

Wow is all I have to say as well. I hope you didn't pay that cheat too much.