trending away from star wars??

stephen_rockefeller

I have gotten the feeling in the last few weeks that investors are focusing less on star wars are more on other themes, Monster fighters, ninjago ect. I am very new to all of this so am I just imagining things or are investors "seasonal"?

I've noticed the same thing, and I have to admit as much as I love the Star Wars theme I have been kind of side tracked myself with the Monster Fighters, especially with the new release of the Haunted House. Also I'm pumped for the Winter Village Cottage coming out next month, gotta love those winter sets!! Still a huge Star Wars fan though no matter what.

Truth is, I think there are simply more sets than ever that have enormous investment potential. LEGO has introduced the modular buildings (which have so far proven to be extremely profitable), they've released some great exclusive sets geared towards adults, like the Maersk cargo ship, tower bridge, shuttle expedition, etc. and have begun a number of new successful series, like POTC, LOTR, and DC and Marvel superheroes. LEGO now has a lot more to offer in addition to Star Wars.

We're not exactly being 'seasonal', it's just that STAR WARS has been around for a while (about 14 years and it'll be around for a great deal more) whereas NINJAGO and MONSTER FIGHTERS will be around for only a limited run.

NINJAGO is a really big thing right now.

One. There are very few times where you can buy a set at retail, only to list it on eBay and sell it for as much as 3x retail! (Quick investment, even quicker return!)

Two. It's aleady been said before, but the NINJAGO-Spinners are really good investments. They cost about $10 (very minimal) and are already appreciating in value very well.

As Ed Mack said "Spinners are Winners!" (Really catchy!)

Three. The series WILL be discontinued by early next year. (LEGO did officially confirm this.) This will make our investments worth even more!

Four. Umm...people love ninjas?...

MONSTER FIGHTERS, besides being really cool, has some great potential as well.

One. These sets are great for Halloween as well as B-movie fans.

Two. Look how fast the 'The Zombies' set flies off the shelves! (As soon as Target gets it, it's gone!)

Three. Even though I REALLY love this series, It's one of those unique series (like Pharaoh's Quest) that may only run once. (Don't quote me on that though, it's just a feeling)

Especially with Halloween coming up soon, these could do well.

(Unless LEGO and places like Walmart have seasonal specials)

There's already a thread about LORD OF THE RINGS sets, so I won't bother going into that (again).

It's not as though we forgot about STAR WARS, it's just we know that STAR WARS will always be there. Sure certain sets will come and go (some will get redesigned), but overall it'll always be there to invest in.

Truth is, I think there are simply more sets than ever that have enormous investment potential. LEGO now has a lot more to offer in addition to Star Wars.

Very true.

SW is still the king - It just gets hard to create a lot of buzz over re-doing the same set a dozen times. We have all the SW sets up until 2012 in our collection, but this year my kids haven't had that same must have feeling that they used to get (they are 11 & 8). Plus, with 10 More Years of Star Wars Lego to come - How many more X-wings & Falcons will there be? And where will I ever put them all??? in Ed's Car?

Star wars sets are overpriced and the latest releases are not that great (sans Jabba's palace).

Yeah, they have gotten pricy haven't they?

SW is still the king - It just gets hard to create a lot of buzz over re-doing the same set a dozen times. How many more X-wings & Falcons will there be?

Oh god, isn't that the truth. Seriously, how many times have they redesigned the X-Wing for crying out loud? Three times? (And each one more expensive than the last!)

Admitably, some of the redesigns are better than the original ones they came up with in the first place.

The (7657) 'AT-ST' is WAY better than the (7127) 'Imperial AT-ST' one. (It also was $10 more, ouch...)

They just started doing sets based on the "The Old Republic", which is cool.

And where will I ever put them all??? in Ed's Car?

HA HA! I know, right?

Star wars sets are overpriced and the latest releases are not that great (sans Jabba's palace). Having said that, I will continue to buy them.

Overpriced most likely to George Lucas and licensing fees......Lucas isn't dumb and he knows how to milk every last penny from merchandising.

I've been eyeing the Anakin/Sebulba pod racing set (7962) but the MSRP of $90 is insane. I know it can be found for about $60 but even that is overpriced IMO.

I've been eyeing the Anakin/Sebulba pod racing set (7962) but the MSRP of $90 is insane. I know it can be found for about $60 but even that is overpriced IMO.

Yeah, everytime I pass by that box It feels like an awful lot of money for (at a glance) not that much.

(Even though it comes to about 11 cents a piece, which isn't bad.)

Another one that gets me is 'Luke's Landspeeder' (8092), which costs $25. I'm sorry, but that's $5 too much.

Overpriced most likely to George Lucas and licensing fees......Lucas isn't dumb and he knows how to milk every last penny from merchandising.

I actually really like that set. Love the colors.

If you haven't already noticed, I am heavily invested in STAR WARS sets, so I will tread lightly on the theme. Truth be told, there are just many more options out there now, than say, 5 or 6 years ago. LEGO releases over 500 sets a year and a lot of the themes are wonderful. Monster Fighters, POTC, Harry Potter, Ninjago, Modulars, LOTR, Hero Factory to name a few. The STAR WARS UCS sets are exceptional sets...the top of the LEGO food chain IMO. But the rest of the theme, with a few exceptions, is been there, done that, sorry to say. I am also tired of constant remakes and new versions of STAR WARS sets, but one good thing about introducing new versions of older sets is that the next generation gets to buy and build an X-Wing or TIE Fighter without having to spend $200 on an older version on the secondary market. A new STAR WARS movie would help sales and prices for sure, but I don't think that is happening anytime soon. I expect prices to remain solid for the theme, even extremely impressive for some of the special sets, but for some of the lesser STAR WARS sets, money might be better spent elsewhere.

If you haven't already noticed, I am heavily invested in STAR WARS sets, so I will tread lightly on the theme. Truth be told, there are just many more options out there now, than say, 5 or 6 years ago. LEGO releases over 500 sets a year and a lot of the themes are wonderful. Monster Fighters, POTC, Harry Potter, Ninjago, Modulars, LOTR, Hero Factory to name a few. The STAR WARS UCS sets are exceptional sets...the top of the LEGO food chain IMO. But the rest of the theme, with a few exceptions, is been there, done that, sorry to say.

I am also tired of constant remakes and new versions of STAR WARS sets, but one good thing about introducing new versions of older sets is that the next generation gets to buy and build an X-Wing or TIE Fighter without having to spend $200 on an older version on the secondary market. A new STAR WARS movie would help sales and prices for sure, but I don't think that is happening anytime soon. I expect prices to remain solid for the theme, even extremely impressive for some of the special sets, but for some of the lesser STAR WARS sets, money might be better spent elsewhere.

Great points. The one constant with Lego investing and or collecting is to pick the right sets. There has always been Star Wars sets that were investment juggernauts, but there were also Star Wars busts during the same release year. Not every set goes up. Not now, not then. Pick the right sets and your Brickfolio will "trend" upwards. Simple. :)

I am also tired of constant remakes and new versions of STAR WARS sets, but one good thing about introducing new versions of older sets is that the next generation gets to buy and build an X-Wing or TIE Fighter without having to spend $200 on an older version on the secondary market.

That's a good point. Look at the original 'Landspeeder' (7110-1). Retailed for $5.99, now (like you said) costs $200 on eBay.

...Yeah, I think I'll just buy the new one at $24.99.

Star wars sets are overpriced and the latest releases are not that great (sans Jabba's palace). Having said that, I will continue to buy them.

Totally agree.......LEGO better come up with something spectacular in the next few years to keep me interested in the theme.......The UCS B wing just doesn't cut if for me (even though I will buy it).