Toy Story

rass101

Toy story line has not had much success and so the 2010 sets are currently priced low on one of my local e-shops http://www.rekato.ee/index.php?page=78& (Toy story sets are at the bottom of the page) Toy Story it self has been along for almost 2 decades and with huge success so my thinking would be that their value can only can go up as time goes by. And also we might not see another toy story movie ever so LEGO does not have an excuse to bring back Toy Story on their line ether, especially with their current poor sales. What do you guys think?

Toy story line has not had much success and so the 2010 sets are currently priced low on one of my local e-shops http://www.rekato.ee/index.php?page=78&

(Toy story sets are at the bottom of the page)

Toy Story it self has been along for almost 2 decades and with huge success so my thinking would be that their value can only can go up as time goes by. And also we might not see another toy story movie ever so LEGO does not have an excuse to bring back Toy Story on their line ether, especially with their current poor sales.

What do you guys think?

I love the Toy Story movies and the Lego sets are fantastic. The mini figs for this theme will be worth a lot in the future IMO. People like building spaceships and houses out of Legos. That is one reason themes like Toy Story don't translate well in to Lego sets. People love the characters, but there aren't enough things to recreate as Lego sets. Maybe a Woody bust would sell well, like the old Darth Maul(10018) set. Buy the sets for the mini figs and I think you will do OK.

• 11 months later...

Lego had Toy Story sets a few years ago. After these sets were retired, the value of them has stayed relatively the same. Any thoughts on whether these will be of higher demand in the future? I don't remember them having a long run, so my thought is that they have the potential to be a late bloomer.

I think this line is just a dog. This is one of the worst performing themes ever. Most of the sets aren't even worth the original retail price after 3 years. My Toys R Us still has them in store. Nobody is buying these. Most of the sets are too kid-oriented for anyone to want to get them as anything other than toys. Now, if you can pick them up at a huge discount, that might be another story.

I think this line is just a dog. This is one of the worst performing themes ever.

Most of the sets aren't even worth the original retail price after 3 years. My Toys R Us still has them in store. Nobody is buying these. Most of the sets are too kid-oriented for anyone to want to get them as anything other than toys.

Now, if you can pick them up at a huge discount, that might be another story.

What kind of story, perhaps a 'toy' story?

I had to do it.

while kids love the movie, it does have an adult fan base. kids who grew up with toy story might be looking for these sets down the road. i just don't know when. then again, maybe it will perform like a 20 yr bond :( i honestly think the entire toy story line might be a sleeper as an investment. now, cars on the other hand, is a diff investment story. i bought many cars sets for my son to open and play with. just my 2 cents.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I still don't get why these are not appreciating more from retail price. I have built these sets with my son and they are nice. Very fun for kids. He likes Woody's Roundup and the train the best so far. He'll be receiving most of the other sets for his b-day in July (plus, I need the shelf-space). Then I'll give him the rest for Christmas or as awards.

Movies 1 and 2 came out in the mid to late 90s. Assuming kids were 10 years old in 2000, that would make them 23 now. Am I to assume we have another 6-10 years before these same people come out of their dark ages? Then they will want these sets?

I built the sets with my son, and I thought they were all pretty good, the Woody's Roundup set especially. Just doesn't seem to have taken off. It didn't help that the sets seemed way overpriced to begin with, but even after heavy discounting they didn't do much. I would have thought the Army Men battlepack would have soared thogh for obvious reasons

Barring some unforeseen turnaround in collector sentiment, it seems safe to conclude that the investment potential of Toy Story Lego sets is just about nil. Too much inventory floating about, not anywhere near enough demand. 3 years EOL and you can't even get retail? If someone gives them to you or you can get them for pennies on the dollar, then tuck them away on the odd chance they explode in popularity some day. Otherwise, almost any other Lego product would be a better investment.

• 9 months later...

Seems no one talking about the Lego Toy Story sets, 

they contains cool minifigures,  also some sets are quite unique e.***.: 7592 Construct-a-Buzz, 7598 Toy Story Pizza Planet Truck...

but seems they are not doing well in the after market... what is the reason?

I see you're from Hong Kong, not sure how many non-Lego Toy Story products are available there, but here in the US, there has been a never-ending stream of licensed action figures in every category imaginable. Despite being a powerhouse franchise, Toy Story Legos are competing with many, many options, many of which are very desirable both as toys and investments. 

I think this is the ONLY reason why the Toy Story sets aren't better. Excuse my ignorance, but, in less someone knows production numbers, it just seems that there were too many Toy Story sets available. 

I personally think it came down to a fundamental paradigm difference between the two toy worlds. If you look at the sets they seem well designed and very nice. And the Toy Story universe has been a powerhouse for 15 years. So on individual metrics there is no reason these sets should not be doing amazing right now.

But when I think of Toy Story LEGO. Something just feels off. I cant quite put my finger on it...but something is wrong. Something did not translate from the toy world to the building toy world. Almost like two really great people who for some reason don't work well together.

I really wish I could put it into words better,

• Like 2

I think there was far too much produced and lack of interest. When they were being discontinued I would see hundreds of Toy story sets and they just didn't budge. I bet most kids who saw Toy story 3 didn't appreciate the movie because they didn't grow up with it and most adults/teenagers who did grow up with it didn't buy merchandise for it after they saw the movie, they did that when they were kids themselves.

Most of these sets after selling and taking out the fee's (depending what price you got them for), there is extremely low profit margin/break even. I might sell my lot off at break even point (if they ever sell!) and reinvest the money elsewhere as I don't see any of these going up much until they are completely sparse on the market.

I personally think it came down to a fundamental paradigm difference between the two toy worlds. If you look at the sets they seem well designed and very nice. And the Toy Story universe has been a powerhouse for 15 years. So on individual metrics there is no reason these sets should not be doing amazing right now.

But when I think of Toy Story LEGO. Something just feels off. I cant quite put my finger on it...but something is wrong. Something did not translate from the toy world to the building toy world. Almost like two really great people who for some reason don't work well together.

I really wish I could put it into words better,

I feel this same way! It just seemed odd but i could never place it. I even purchased one for myself a couple years ago (Buzz/Woody on RC set) and i just didn't like it... Personally i have 2 of the trains that i got at a decent discount that i intend to sit on a good while in hopes it will do better someday.

Sets based on Toy Story 1 and 2 are finally doing well selling-wise on eBay and bricklink. Same for the Cars 1 sets. Cars 2 and Toy story 3 sets are complete duds with "maybe" the exception being the train.

The popular sets are...

Flo's v8

Mack's Team

Woody''s Roundup

Buzz's ship

Army men

RC

Note The Pizza Truck (Target) is having a tough time due to it's higher retail price for what you get.

If you bought any of the mentioned sets above at the then common 30% discount, you are doing fine. If you bought at 50% or better!, you're doing very well.

I also feel if the Toy Story sets were released during the 1st or 2nd movie, the sets would have done better as those fans are prob in their dark ages. The same can prob basis for Cars 1 to a much less degree.

The Toy Story sets doing fine and will continue to do so. The annual Halloween and Christmas shows will help maintain some secondary market demand.