The Simpsons - general discussion

Darth Lego

This ranks right up there with Galidor in the failsphere.  If they are looking for hits from the 80s---Is the He-man license really that expensive?  So may obvious wins with that there---the 2 castles, all the vehicles and chracters.

Yet Back to the Future DeLorean is sold out? Think its a little quick to declare it a dud.

During a break in the Cowboys game last night, I found myself watching the Simpsons for the first time in YEARS. Obviously, with the way my mind works, I started thinking about whether or not a LEGO theme was still viable... I think it falls into the same category as the TMNT theme right now: buy it to have the minifigs.

I don't know how viable it is, but a Moe's Tavern or Kwik-E-Mart would be obvious pieces that I would definitely pick up.

I have the feeling the team that responsible for The Lone Ranger line worked to get the license for the Simpson line as well. :D :D :D

If LEGO is supposed to be toys for children (as emphasized multiple times by TLG), why release a line based on a TV-PG / TV-MA TV series ? 

If this set is supposed to appeal to adults, there are so many other more popular TV series to choose from.

I grew up during the age of Simpsons so I feel like I have a pretty good feeling on how they are in terms of pop culture.  I was in the 3rd-4th grade once they started to hit big time.  The seasons between about 1992-1998 are the classics and will never be topped.  The seasons since then have been pretty ho-hum with a few good episodes in between.  The past 3-4 have been so bad that I've taken the show off the DVR recording list.

That being said, I have a feeling that the Simpsons line will have some absolute hits.  Not just with the kids of today, not with the AFOL, but with the adult fans of the Simpsons.  There could be many iconic builds.  I see the Simpsons' house, Bart's Tree House, a big build of Springfield Elementary, another big build of the Nuclear Power Plant, and Moe's Tavern as being the must haves.  The best build could be the (now sing it with me) the Monorail....Monorail....Monorail.

The line of the minifigs will be outstanding.  There have been so many characters the show has put out in its 20+ years.  In addition to the Simpson's family but you also have Nelson, Martin, Milhouse, the Flandereses, the Wigums, the Beeman, Kent Brockman, Troy McClure, Bleeding Gums Murphy, Mr Smithers, Mr Burns.... the list could go on and on.  There could literally be over 100 of minifigs.

Just because the Simpsons have lacked luster that some of the other sets might have doesn't mean they could not be a hit.

p.s.  Donuts.  Is there anything they can't do?

• Like 1

Funny how Galidor was brought up cause much like those 'sets' and the show, this is one theme I know from the get go I will never purchase any for myself ever. I am strangely curious to see how Lego designed the sets and minifigures but aside from that, I can only see this theme being strictly as an investment with potential due to the license tie-in for a show that will never die. Seriously, it just won't go away.

I really don't have a clue as to how many people still enjoy the show but apparently enough to keep it around. I may be in the minority but this whole theme can just "eat my shorts".

Funny how Galidor was brought up cause much like those 'sets' and the show, this is one theme I know from the get go I will never purchase any for myself ever. I am strangely curious to see how Lego designed the sets and minifigures but aside from that, I can only see this theme being strictly as an investment with potential due to the license tie-in for a show that will never die. Seriously, it just won't go away.

I really don't have a clue as to how many people still enjoy the show but apparently enough to keep it around. I may be in the minority but this whole theme can just "eat my shorts".

Of everyone on this website, you would be the absolute last person I would think would be anti-Simpsons!  You manage to surprise me daily...

I grew up during the age of Simpsons so I feel like I have a pretty good feeling on how they are in terms of pop culture.  I was in the 3rd-4th grade once they started to hit big time.  The seasons between about 1992-1998 are the classics and will never be topped.  The seasons since then have been pretty ho-hum with a few good episodes in between.  The past 3-4 have been so bad that I've taken the show off the DVR recording list.

That being said, I have a feeling that the Simpsons line will have some absolute hits.  Not just with the kids of today, not with the AFOL, but with the adult fans of the Simpsons.  There could be many iconic builds.  I see the Simpsons' house, Bart's Tree House, a big build of Springfield Elementary, another big build of the Nuclear Power Plant, and Moe's Tavern as being the must haves.  The best build could be the (now sing it with me) the Monorail....Monorail....Monorail.

The line of the minifigs will be outstanding.  There have been so many characters the show has put out in its 20+ years.  In addition to the Simpson's family but you also have Nelson, Martin, Milhouse, the Flandereses, the Wigums, the Beeman, Kent Brockman, Troy McClure, Bleeding Gums Murphy, Mr Smithers, Mr Burns.... the list could go on and on.  There could literally be over 100 of minifigs.

Just because the Simpsons have lacked luster that some of the other sets might have doesn't mean they could not be a hit.

p.s.  Donuts.  Is there anything they can't do?

Hey it may fly under the radar and be big hit in the after market!

I'm quietly excited about it.  I do love the Simpsons.  Sure it has gone downhill a bit in recent years but there have still been a few good episodes around, the latest season wasn't too bad.  I grew up watching the early stuff and it's a really great memory for me.  There are so many Simpsons lines that get quoted in my group of friends.

I used to collect the "World of Springfield" toys and dioramas.  They got quite pricey at one point but have now crashed in value.  Hopefully the Lego sets don't do the same.  I do think they will be pretty risky as investments though (I guess most new themes are risky), so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for them.  Collectors who want them will buy them at retail and sate their appetite for them.  With the show being so old it isn't really generating a lot of new die hard collector fans, so the outlook for a few years down the road when sets retire would point toward a low secondary market demand.

For the personal collecting I'll be waiting to see the sets before I pass judgement.  Like I said I am quietly excited as I think there are so many opportunitys for sets and great minifigs.

I'm leaning toward this just seems like an odd choice. I have not watched an episode of the Simpsons since the movie was released, I was a big fan then but it just doesn't feel relevant anymore. I also feel that for a company that wouldn't make a Shaun of the Dead set because it wasn't kid friendly, to release a line based on a show that I would consider in some ways (i know Shaun of the dead did have explicit language) less kid friendly seems wrong.

I agree with a lot of what is being said here.  The Simpsons are well past their prime, but there is undeniably some nostalgic value for a lot of us.  If the builds are cool, I will most likely get a set or two.  I am skeptical about how the mini figures are going to translate, but I don't think Lego would do it if there was no way to make them look good.  Somebody made a mention and comparison of these going the way of Toy Story Legos...I could see that happening too.  I guess we'll see what happens in 2014...

I agree with a lot of what is being said here.  The Simpsons are well past their prime, but there is undeniably some nostalgic value for a lot of us.  If the builds are cool, I will most likely get a set or two.  I am skeptical about how the mini figures are going to translate, but I don't think Lego would do it if there was no way to make them look good.  Somebody made a mention and comparison of these going the way of Toy Story Legos...I could see that happening too.  I guess we'll see what happens in 2014...

Yes really that is the most valuable point. It really just depends what and how well they do if. The toy story sets were crap because they picked crap stuff to do.

Of everyone on this website, you would be the absolute last person I would think would be anti-Simpsons!  You manage to surprise me daily...

Hurray for spontaneous surprises! Ha ha.

Admitedly, I did watch Simpsons a little bit when I was a kid especially the Halloween specials, but now I feel like I have to force myself to finish an episode the same way I felt trying to finish any one of the Friday the 13th flicks. Anymore, the jokes feel predictable and perhaps a couple of 'likeable' characters for the many that are there. I don't know really.

Futurama must have gotten all the good writers cause that series is still funny as hell and even the 'bad' characters are enjoyable like Bender, or Zoidberg, or the Robot Devil. I'm more of a Family Guy, Venture Brothers, Futurama, Robot Chicken, kind of guy. :popcorn:

Anyway, I just thought of something. How much you want to bet Lego designed completely new molds for the characters heads? I can't see them using regular prints on simple minifigure heads. We'll probably be seeing Bart's unique head and hair on a torso with short legs.