The Simpsons - general discussion

Darth Lego

From that where's waldo type poster from the Simpsons, the possibility for the minifigures is endless.  However one concern is the demographics of Simpson fans.  It's not like the following of Star Wars, the Marvel Superheroes, or the LOTR fans where fasn have deep pockets to spend on those merchandises. 

I'm sure this can be a moneymaker, but I'm not interested.  It fits right along with Spongebob to me.  There are some cool things they could do with it, as I watched the show a bit when I was a kid, but it just doesn't appeal to me anymore.  The only piece I would want is a minifig Duff Beer accessory. 

Spongebob is no investment slouch though...There are many worse themes.  The Simpson's minifigures will be where the money is at.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it won't do well, it just doesn't move the needle for me.  I know many that are very excited for this theme, it just doesn't do it for me.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it won't do well, it just doesn't move the needle for me.  I know many that are very excited for this theme, it just doesn't do it for me.

Yeah, I'm not going to run out and wait on line for them.  LOL.  Maybe if STAR TREK was a new theme, then I might get excited. :jig:

• Like 1

After reading the other Simpons thread, I think people may be discounting the latent popularity for a theme like this.  I think this will perform similarly to the TMNT line.  While TMNT is on a reboot, The Simpsons are still running original shows, and they both originally had similar "crazes" occur 20+ years ago, albeit The Simpsons craze was slightly more recent than TMNT.

I think a lot of the appeal will be based on the design of the sets.  If we see a similar lineup to TMNT, I agree the theme will likely be on shaky ground.  However, if we see a $100 monorail set (as another member in another thread aptly suggested) with the donut shop, along with 2-3 other medium to large sets and 3 small to medium sets, I think it could be poised for big things.  That said, we'll likely see a repeat of TMNT and SpongeBob themes: one $50-60 set, two $30-50 sets and two to three sets under $25.  That seems to be the product line template for licensed themes intended to cycle out of the product line after 1-2 years. 

Problem is they won't make Mel's, the Reactor, and I seriously doubt the Monorail.  We will get the Simpson's house, maybe the Quickie Mart with Apu, some other dumb little sets like Bart with his skateboard.  Heck, they probably won't even make Apu because they will worry about being called racist or make Smithers because he's homosexual.  Hopefully I'm wrong for those of you that like the line, because I see Lego not making the sets that you will want.  Lego does not like to slurry the waters and will make the most appropriate Lego Simpsons sets they can, which is too bad, because the show was/is anything but appropriate, which is why we think it's(sort of) funny.  I would have been happier with a Family Guy theme, but I like the show, so I would probably pick up a couple of the sets.

Yeah, I'm not going to run out and wait on line for them.  LOL.  Maybe if STAR TREK was a new theme, then I might get excited. :jig:

What the Kre-O models did not do it for you ?  :D :D :D

I actually thought those Kreo models look absoultely dreadful :)

After reading the other Simpons thread, I think people may be discounting the latent popularity for a theme like this.  I think this will perform similarly to the TMNT line.  While TMNT is on a reboot, The Simpsons are still running original shows, and they both originally had similar "crazes" occur 20+ years ago, albeit The Simpsons craze was slightly more recent than TMNT.

I think a lot of the appeal will be based on the design of the sets.  If we see a similar lineup to TMNT, I agree the theme will likely be on shaky ground.  However, if we see a $100 monorail set (as another member in another thread aptly suggested) with the donut shop, along with 2-3 other medium to large sets and 3 small to medium sets, I think it could be poised for big things.  That said, we'll likely see a repeat of TMNT and SpongeBob themes: one $50-60 set, two $30-50 sets and two to three sets under $25.  That seems to be the product line template for licensed themes intended to cycle out of the product line after 1-2 years. 

I would be more excited had the Simpsons got a new movie and the sets been released in prior to the movie. The TMNT sets were released at the same time as the new cartoon series to keep the line fresh. 

Also, the Simpsons TV show is geared towards adults and older teens. Does the Simpsons have comparable adult fan base to LotR or SW ?  Otherwise, I can't see the potential for this line. 

Problem is they won't make Mel's, the Reactor, and I seriously doubt the Monorail.  We will get the Simpson's house, maybe the Quickie Mart with Apu, some other dumb little sets like Bart with his skateboard.  Heck, they probably won't even make Apu because they will worry about being called racist or make Smithers because he's homosexual.  Hopefully I'm wrong for those of you that like the line, because I see Lego not making the sets that you will want.  Lego does not like to slurry the waters and will make the most appropriate Lego Simpsons sets they can, which is too bad, because the show was/is anything but appropriate, which is why we think it's(sort of) funny.  I would have been happier with a Family Guy theme, but I like the show, so I would probably pick up a couple of the sets.

Agreed, Huskers.  I too am concerned the choices for the sets will be less than optimal.  No Moe's (how great would a "Flaming Moe" transparent brick be?), no reactor, and likely no Monorail.  Here is my guess to what we may see:

Simpsons' House w/ Marge, Maggie, Flanders and Homer

KrustyBurger w/ Krusty and Sideshow Bob

Springfield Elementary school room (includes chalkboard) w/ Skinner, Krabappel, Groundskeeper Willie and Bart

Otto's School Bus w/ Otto, Lisa, Bart and Milhouse

"The Homer" Car w/ Homer and one other minifig w/ small vignette (perhaps Abe Simpson or Bumblebee Man on sidewalk bench)

Bart and Skateboard w/ Bart and one or two of Nelson Muntz, Ralph Wiggum, or Martin Prince with small schoolyard vignette

And a few darkhorse candidates:

Jebediah Springflied statue with Chief Wiggum and Mayor Quimby

Kwik-E Mart w/ Apu, Homer and Lenny

Android's Dungeon & Baseball Card Shop w/ Comic Book Guy, Bart, and Jimbo Jones (and first edition Radioactive Man comic)

Simpsons Accessory sets with four minifigures (Lionel Hutz, Kent Brockman, Mr. Burns and Disco Stu), Snowball 2 and/or Santa's Little Helper

Itchy and Scratchy set w/ trap

Agreed, Huskers.  I too am concerned the choices for the sets will be less than optimal.  No Moe's (how great would a "Flaming Moe" transparent brick be?), no reactor, and likely no Monorail.  Here is my guess to what we may see:

Simpsons' House w/ Marge, Maggie, Flanders and Homer

KrustyBurger w/ Krusty and Sideshow Bob

Springfield Elementary school room (includes chalkboard) w/ Skinner, Krabappel, Groundskeeper Willie and Bart

Otto's School Bus w/ Otto, Lisa, Bart and Milhouse

"The Homer" Car w/ Homer and one other minifig w/ small vignette (perhaps Abe Simpson or Bumblebee Man on sidewalk bench)

Bart and Skateboard w/ Bart and one or two of Nelson Muntz, Ralph Wiggum, or Martin Prince with small schoolyard vignette

And a few darkhorse candidates:

Jebediah Springflied statue with Chief Wiggum and Mayor Quimby

Kwik-E Mart w/ Apu, Homer and Lenny

Android's Dungeon & Baseball Card Shop w/ Comic Book Guy, Bart, and Jimbo Jones (and first edition Radioactive Man comic)

Simpsons Accessory sets with four minifigures (Lionel Hutz, Kent Brockman, Mr. Burns and Disco Stu), Snowball 2 and/or Santa's Little Helper

Itchy and Scratchy set w/ trap

Man, I had forgotten about many of those characters.  I agree, you'll probably see the school bus, chalkboard scene, and Homer's car, Lego loves vehicles if you haven't noticed.  Hopefully, whatever Lego does, the builds aren't made to look like a comic book like the TMNT sets. 

Anyone else feel this move is just ten years too late? That's about how long it's been since the Simpsons was funny, anyway. A decade ago I would have been chomping at the bit for this theme. Now... Meh. And as others mentioned, Lego likes to dumb down these "kids" licensed themes. A 600 piece Simpsons home just ain't gonna cut it. If the Creator line can sustain 900+ piece houses, I expect the same commitment here. I doubt we'll get it.