A Serious Discussion about Brick Classifieds

These are all fair points - Set up this way, I think it will be a niche. You don't have to cater to everyone, because there are plenty of other places to sell sets. If people want something special, they can go to Ebay. If they want to sell something for the right price to someone who knows more about Lego, they can use the classifieds.

As long as the want and expectation is not to make this the foremost and best place to list everything Lego, then it will work just as you see it.

The upfront fees are important. I don't like paying fees, but you all have done a tremendous job keeping spammers off the site so far, but this will somewhat attract them. 

I know there are definitely things I would post on here - and if someone wanted to get rid of something quick, this would be a good way.

Maybe Jeff will show you a peek of a page from the Classifieds.  Posting your eBay listings is a given on the Classifieds.  Your Amazon listings will be as well.  These will be for free, so everyone who sells on eBay and Amazon will benefit from added exposure and we benefit from affiliate advertising.  That is the easy part.

The hard part is dealing with "personal" or non-eBay/Amazon listings.  We are not trying to be eBay or Amazon.  The basic philosophy of the Brick Classifieds is almost exactly like a newspaper classifieds section.  Low prices to advertise, but no guarantees.  It will work for many people, but for some who are entrenched with Bricklink or want the guarantees of eBay, it might not be worth the effort to try or switch over.

One thing though I want to mention...eBay does not protect the seller...not really.  Buyers yes, sellers no.  So many of you who are sellers can only save money selling on the Classifeds.

Maybe Jeff will show you a peek of a page from the Classifieds.  Posting your eBay listings is a given on the Classifieds.  Your Amazon listings will be as well.  These will be for free, so everyone who sells on eBay and Amazon will benefit from added exposure and we benefit from affiliate advertising.  That is the easy part.

The hard part is dealing with "personal" or non-eBay/Amazon listings.  We are not trying to be eBay or Amazon.  The basic philosophy of the Brick Classifieds is almost exactly like a newspaper classifieds section.  Low prices to advertise, but no guarantees.  It will work for many people, but for some who are entrenched with Bricklink or want the guarantees of eBay, it might not be worth the effort to try or switch over.

One thing though I want to mention...eBay does not protect the seller...not really.  Buyers yes, sellers no.  So many of you who are sellers can only save money selling on the Classifeds.

I had forgotten about the Ebay/Amazon thing and that does really make it worth it 0 extra exposure can only help.

As a seller, I absolutely agree that there is no protection on Ebay for a Seller. Paypal is the only thing there and we will have that here. 

Honestly after seeing what you all are bringing, I think I would use the Classifieds over Ebay just to support this site. And I like the way you all make it sound. I know I would browse through every listing about every night.

I would like to make a point that no one has covered yet.... Shipping. This website is visited from people all around the world on a daily basis. What could be a huge difference and possibly successful business model is to get one of the large global shipping companies on board to offer discounted rates. This could be an option for every seller and that way people are not limited by geography.

Not only would the shipping company get more exposure and business, but the buyer gets the assurance of items being shipped by a very reputable and reliable company and the seller knows they have access to a cheaper shipping option. It would also set standard shipping rates for the different size and weighted sets, depending on location. 

Of course this does not include local custom limits, exchange rates or shipping times. Although if using paypal the exchange rate would be. 

I had forgotten about the Ebay/Amazon thing and that does really make it worth it 0 extra exposure can only help.

As a seller, I absolutely agree that there is no protection on Ebay for a Seller. Paypal is the only thing there and we will have that here. 

Honestly after seeing what you all are bringing, I think I would use the Classifieds over Ebay just to support this site. And I like the way you all make it sound. I know I would browse through every listing about every night.

We are partners with eBay and we want to increase the traffic to there as well as Amazon.  They pay our bills.  The question we have for everyone is whether or not a basic listing service like the Classifieds will be welcomed or a waste of our time?  We can make it as simple or as complex as we want, with a ton of options, but we have to determine if people will use it correctly or at all.

I would like to make a point that no one has covered yet.... Shipping. This website is visited from people all around the world on a daily basis. What could be a huge difference and possibly successful business model is to get one of the large global shipping companies on board to offer discounted rates. This could be an option for every seller and that way people are not limited by geography.

Not only would the shipping company get more exposure and business, but the buyer gets the assurance of items being shipped by a very reputable and reliable company and the seller knows they have access to a cheaper shipping option. It would also set standard shipping rates for the different size and weighted sets, depending on location. 

Of course this does not include local custom limits, exchange rates or shipping times. Although if using paypal the exchange rate would be. 

We could have a wonderful shipping calculator and tool if we want to pay for it and go the more complex route.  It gives multiple options for shipping companies and methods.  It depends on the final version of the Classifieds.  

We are partners with eBay and we want to increase the traffic to there as well as Amazon. They pay our bills. The question we have for everyone is whether or not a basic listing service like the Classifieds will be welcomed or a waste of our time? We can make it as simple or as complex as we want, with a ton of options, but we have to determine if people will use it correctly or at all.

I explored some of the concerns a seller might have with the BC, but personally I would still use it, for a few reasons no necessarily related solely to profit.

1) I'm small time. I'm assuming this would be easier for the casual seller.

2) I already have a certain amount of camaraderie with many members here. If I want to sell something at a reasonable price and know one of them would be appreciative, I'd rather put it here than on eBay.

3) I've used the resources this site offers enough to feel obligated to give back in some respect. I don't really have the time to write reviews due to college, full time job, etc., but i don't even mind listing things here even for a small loss if it helps promote growth and traffic to this site. It's one way I can give back.

Why would there be a yearly fee at all

I frequent 2 forums and don't have to pay a fee to sell. they even have a feedback page(like ebay)

What are the fees for?

Maybe you could try reading the thread first, the answers you seek are contained within.

I have done, it doesn't say. just a load of arse kissers has usual without no real answers

Perhaps you also need to check your reading comprehension skills as well then, as it's made pretty clear what the fee would be for in Jeff's original post.

Also, please refrain from double posting where possible as per the forum etiquette, which I'm sure you've also read.

Perhaps you also need to check your reading comprehension skills as well then, as it's made pretty clear what the fee would be for in Jeff's original post.

Also, please refrain from double posting where possible as per the forum etiquette, which I'm sure you've also read.

Yeah i read reinvesting in the site, blah blah blah

Edit - Maybe they should reinvest so the prices are right for the rest of the world then. just an idea.

My point was i don't see what the costs are for since i sell on other sites and dont have to pay a fee,

Im not new to selling, i make a living from buying and selling and also had my own site and cant see apart the owners profiting what the costs/fees are for.

You may not be new to selling but from your posts we can see that you lack tact and common courtesy. I wouldnt worry much about brick classifieds, I dont forsee you being around much longer anyway.
  • Like 1

Edit - Maybe they should reinvest so the prices are right for the rest of the world then. just an idea.

What exactly does this mean?

So you are saying that you don't pay any fees on eBay, Bricklink, Amazon, Brickowl, or anywhere else.  If you want to go post on the Brickset forums, then go do so, this is not for you.  The Classifieds section is not just going to be a new forum thread.

Obviously you don't like the site very much, sorry about that.

I like this site and appreciate what you have done so far for the US side of things

My point is i think you should concentrate on getting the price's for the rest of the world right before even mentioning a marketplace on here

Seems i cant do any right on here so **** it.

Well in all honesty, your posts this morning don't come across too well.  Basically you just crushed and beat up on everything done here, but now say you like this site. It seems people are very good at criticizing, but not very good at offering any help or suggestion.  At any time you can PM me, talk to me about what you are seeing wrong on the pricing.  We do have have links on the price guide page to click if numbers don't look right, just fire off an email.  We have also stated on numerous occasions that as each month goes by and we have more data to fill these new regions, the data will become more solid.  Each time we are able to filter out bad listings and fill it with good ones.  We have explained that this process also happened with the US data back in the beginning.  Each ebay listing we get to work with doesn't not come with this perfect data that lays everything out ideally.    June and July will be released shortly and hopefully that makes it better.  I am sorry it is not up to your standards yet, but our goal is to improve it as time goes by.

• Like 1

From the first post: "(...) pay for the data, purchase more locations in the future, more contests, advertising and possibly help build a kick butt mobile app"

• Like 2

Ok I read 90% of the conversation (good points all over the topic)

I would like to express my biggest concerns:

1. Everyone or 99% of visitors who visit atleast once a week are of more educated people about LEGO. Not many will be willing to pay premium for sets (MISB) for themselves.

2. We need some type of feedback system.... (a more detailed than ebay)

3. About fees I think yearly fees are fine but I would tier them out liek someone mentioned before:

Tiered yearly fees should be like:

level 1: 12 listings X$ 

level 2: 24 listings XX$

level 3: 36 listings XX$

level 4: unlimited (max 1 entry per day) XXX$ 

BUT keep regular (pay when sold) type of stuff (like bricklink) but ONLY for max 2 listings per user (and then put some fee for more)

Ok I read 90% of the conversation (good points all over the topic)

I would like to express my biggest concerns:

1. Everyone or 99% of visitors who visit atleast once a week are of more educated people about LEGO. Not many will be willing to pay premium for sets (MISB) for themselves.

2. We need some type of feedback system.... (a more detailed than ebay)

3. About fees I think yearly fees are fine but I would tier them out liek someone mentioned before:

Tiered yearly fees should be like:

level 1: 12 listings X$ 

level 2: 24 listings XX$

level 3: 36 listings XX$

level 4: unlimited (max 1 entry per day) XXX$ 

BUT keep regular (pay when sold) type of stuff (like bricklink) but ONLY for max 2 listings per user (and then put some fee for more)

I understand the tiered system, but I really don't understand or agree with your logic on the (Max 1 entry per day).  I think that would make more people run from the site than help.  If you have small to large business, who would want to wait a full day before you can post a new set?  I think you are missing the point of the upfront fee and waiving all other fees.  It would make everyone's life much easier.  I personally don't want to deal with billing/invoices.  One and done.  Simple, everyone wins.  A am sure there are plenty of people that have more than 50 sets to sell.  The cost savings could potentially be great to many of them.  They would like to get their sets listed and hopefully sold. Why would anyone want to wait 2 months to get all their sets listed?

• Like 1

I think the tiered system would be great for the yearly fees.

Also, I was thinking, when the Brick Classifieds is put up, who would be willing to pay more than the Brickpicker value for a Lego set? Since we have all that data available, we would know what is a good deal and what is not. But I was also thinking, here who would pay the value for a set in the first place, when you could probably find the set cheaper on eBay or some other site? Since there is a lot of sets selling on a lot of different websites online, you could probably find a better deal than buying it off of the Classifieds. I think that the Classifieds would only work when there is an exclusive/rare set, and you cannot find it at a better price somewhere else.

I like this site and appreciate what you have done so far for the US side of things

My point is i think you should concentrate on getting the price's for the rest of the world right before even mentioning a marketplace on here

Seems i cant do any right on here so **** it.

Let me be the politically incorrect one...You are a clown. The topic was brought up to see how members felt about paying for advertising their listings to weed out spammers and fraudulent listings. I'm sorry that a person of your knowledge of websites and their costs of operation was incapable of posting a few simple courteous responses.

Let me educate you on how much money the site costs to operate and the time involved running it. Your non-US data costs us over $20,000 annually to obtain. We asked for nothing from members. The data is not yet up to par to the US data beause the US data has been in our system for a full two years more than the non-US data. It takes time to get enough listings to get accurate prices, but I guess you knew this...becuase you are a internet guru. Besides that one cost, there are thousands of other dollars that are spent monthly to maintain the site. Also, the time Jeff and I spend on the site probably doubles whatever hours you put in working at your job...if you even have one.

Whatever other sites you inhabit, I suggest you go there. I have neither the time nor the inclination to deal with fools like you. This is one of the top 5 busiest LEGO sites on the internet and asking about advertising on it is a valid question. Jeff and I might not charge anything for posting items or we might charge hundreds, that is what we are trying to determine. But it will be without you, this I can assure you. Have a nice life.

• Like 8

I understand the tiered system, but I really don't understand or agree with your logic on the (Max 1 entry per day).  I think that would make more people run from the site than help.  If you have small to large business, who would want to wait a full day before you can post a new set?  I think you are missing the point of the upfront fee and waiving all other fees.  It would make everyone's life much easier.  I personally don't want to deal with billing/invoices.  One and done.  Simple, everyone wins.  A am sure there are plenty of people that have more than 50 sets to sell.  The cost savings could potentially be great to many of them.  They would like to get their sets listed and hopefully sold. Why would anyone want to wait 2 months to get all their sets listed?

Because I assumed (correct me if you're preparing otherwise) that NEW listing will be seen on top of the classifieds...

and unlimited entry = spam.... UNLESS you will accept each individual entry like with BLOGs....

Folks,

Can we make a new Forum for classifieds for a week or 2?  Like a simple newspaper style listing as many other sites have?  Make it free, so we get honest feedback on transactions.   It would "cost" you x amount of $ in lost revenue, but you, and more importantly--us would get an invaluable market study. This would help us all get a feel for the traffic and prices/process we can expect. I would be willing to sell for MUCH less than what I list things for on ebay in hopes of driving sales and traffic to this site, which I love-- and use daily.  As a minimum standard I would proffer the need 50 real posts in the forums, before you can list an item--no bumping threads unless there is a price change, and 1 active listing (with multiple items) per member---until the real classified section is ready to launch.