Polybags - general discussion

Any polybaggers around here?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a polybag collector?

• I am a serious polybag collector and must have at least one for my personal collection.
    • I am a casual polybag collector and only buy what I like.
    • I do not collect polybags.
  2. 2. Do you invest in polybags?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

I'm hoping that Target clears out all of those TIE Fighters with their Summer clearance...tired of looking at them.

I enthusiastically agree with you one hundred percent. Even the Mining Quad polybag would be a welcome sight compared to the billions of TIE Fighters flying around. Plus there isn't a single exclusive piece in there so even from a building aspect, they stink. I guess at best it could be interesting to see how many designs one may be able to come up with from the limited 44 parts.

Five Below always has polybags. They are typically marked at $4 (except Friends foil packs @$5), so they're not at much of a discount. I just picked up HP MiniHogwarts and The Lab, and Uruk-hai w/ ballista.

Mine had those, and I waited forever for a possible discount but no such luck. They must have sent them off elsewhere. I bought at least one of each for my collection so I'm good but had wanted more of the Uruk-hai polybag for the right price of course. I still think for $4 that polybag is lousy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ive now accumulated nearly 70 Gandalf 30213 polybags, 

Do you think i should sell these now or is there any chance they will increase in value enough to be worth selling them individually. i just don't want to be going to the PO every other day with one bag for just a couple of quid.

I thinking of selling them in one lot and just put the money to something else like the HH or Tower Of Orphanc.

Didn't want to make a thread on this, seems like the right place to put it.

Do you think i should sell these now or is there any chance they will increase in value enough to be worth selling them individually. i just don't want to be going to the PO every other day with one bag for just a couple of quid.

I thinking of selling them in one lot and just put the money to something else like the HH or Tower Of Orphanc.

On decent value I might be interested in 3-4 :P

Gandalf minifig is available in every other LoTR and Hobbit sets so 30213 probably won't rise too much in value. However, depending on how much you paid for them, you may still make some money selling them in bulk

Good polybags are quick and easy sellers.  For newer sellers, they're a great way to get the positive feedback rating up, and learn the eBay selling ropes in a low pressure environment.

My Jor-Els have sold like hotcakes.  I am thinking about listing the Hot Dog Carts soon.  Anyone else list the Hot Dog Stand yet?

Think i paid around 80p each

UK market is out of my realms of expertise.  I suggest you do a quick search on eBay.co.uk

Good polybags are quick and easy sellers.  For newer sellers, they're a great way to get the positive feedback rating up, and learn the eBay selling ropes in a low pressure environment.

My Jor-Els have sold like hotcakes.  I am thinking about listing the Hot Dog Carts soon.  Anyone else list the Hot Dog Stand yet?

Agreed.  However, they need to be ok with sending multiple small packages every other day to get small ROI %.  Lets just say polybags are not suitable for people who avoid investing in or dealing with smaller sets.

I sold mine the first week of July...got about $20 each for the first few then the price started dropping.  I am going to sit on the rest of them cause I think they'll go up.  It is a great little set, so I think there will be demand later.

I sold mine the first week of July...got about $20 each for the first few then the price started dropping.  I am going to sit on the rest of them cause I think they'll go up.  It is a great little set, so I think there will be demand later.

Yeah, they're selling for around $13-15 each w/ shipping now.  Not too bad for a free polybag!

I agree, though - if you want to maximize your ROI on this, you would probably be smart waiting a little while to sell this.  I can't see Jor-El ever being released in a set, and this will be a must have for Superman Lego collectors.

I can see Jor-el being released in a set. He's a major character, played by Russell Crowe, and I can think of a few sets he could come with, such as the crashed ship together with Lois and/or Clark and the guard robot, or a set of the Kryptonian ship with Lois and a few bad Kryptonians.

Yeah, they're selling for around $13-15 each w/ shipping now.  Not too bad for a free polybag!

I agree, though - if you want to maximize your ROI on this, you would probably be smart waiting a little while to sell this.  I can't see Jor-El ever being released in a set, and this will be a must have for Superman Lego collectors.

Why wouldn't he be in a set? He is a pretty major character and they have already announced a second movie, right?

I had this spark of insanity from remembering a Brickset article titled "Confessions of a Serial Polybag Collector". We talk a lot about these little items here and there especially when it comes to Shop-at-Home freebies and I was wondering how many of us really enjoy collecting these to begin with. So, are you a polybagger? :biggrin:8191927439_fcba60671b_b.jpg (This is not my personal collection.)

:shocked: Are those yours, TOK? I don't really collect polybags, and only own about 15, 10 of them being HP The Lab polybags... :?

I knew I should have placed a disclaimer about that. The image is from a collector on Brickset. Most of mine have already been opened with but a few still left in their crinkly bags waiting to be assimilated by the rest of my collection. :shifty:

Guest eightbrick

med_gallery_7318_46_1598564.jpg

Here's a picture of my meager sealed polybag collection. It's small but I'm proud of it. I started getting serious about polybags about three weeks ago, picked up all those Friends ones (I originally bought them for investment but they are growing on me I might keep them :D ), the Toy Story and Atlantis polybags. Finally, my pride and joy is the Adventurers raft from 1999. I love polybags, it pains me to open them so I either buy two or keep it sealed. It's partly the way they are packaged, and partly that I just love impulse sets, boxed or bagged. I had the chance earlier to pick up a bunch of sealed ones, everything from the BBC Bear to the Creator Fish, but I only got a couple. I'll definitely be on the hunt for some more once the Classifieds opens.

Anyone here tried bag building?