Marvel Comic Variant Covers: Investment potential?

Guest eightbrick

Guest eightbrick

http://marvel.com/news/story/20743/get_ready_for_marvel_lego_variants_in_september

Apparently, Marvel will be releasing comics with variant covers featuring Lego versions of classic superhero images. These are said to be rare, I believe I read somewhere that one in 25 regular copies features a Lego variant, so these will go fast. Coming this fall I believe.

Anyone else seeing investment potential?

http://marvel.com/news/story/20743/get_ready_for_marvel_lego_variants_in_september

Apparently, Marvel will be releasing comics with variant covers featuring Lego versions of classic superhero images. These are said to be rare, I believe I read somewhere that one in 25 regular copies features a Lego variant, so these will go fast. Coming this fall I believe.

Anyone else seeing investment potential?

It's definitely something to look into as a collectible not investment.  I doubt there's much retention of value with newer comic books these days.  It seems cool as a cross selling opportunity for Marvel and Lego. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a big time comic collector/reader and have had these LEGO variant covers on my radar since they were announced a few monthes ago. I will try to get an entire graded set eventually for my own personal collection. But I would NOT consider these overally investment worthy! The variant comic market is overdone in general and these will most likely be forgotten by the comic collecting community within a year and I doubt the LEGO collecting community will increase overall demand by very much.

But for those looking to buy 'raw' ungraded copies I would not pay more than $10 for the 1:25 ratio books. At 1:25 these variant these won't be overly hard to find and plentiful on eBay. The 1:100 covers could prove to be much tougher to get though... are to say where those prices will start at. $50 from the outset.

• Like 1

I agree with Lobo. Variant comics are terrible investments. The only people making money on them are publishers and comic shops.

These are pretty cool though. I'm not a buyer at $10 though. If you ask me, $3.95 is already too much for 22 pages.

I would love to have these covers in poster form. That would be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hope everyone's been doing well, and I'm still here! Anyway, I was wondering if anybody on this site who has been collecting the LEGO variant comics has been able to get there hands on the sketch variant for Marvel Universe Avengers Assemble #1. So far its been one of the harder ones to come by. Other than this one, I still have been able to get every one that has been released, and it's still fun! 

Hope everyone's been doing well, and I'm still here! Anyway, I was wondering if anybody on this site who has been collecting the LEGO variant comics has been able to get there hands on the sketch variant for Marvel Universe Avengers Assemble #1. So far its been one of the harder ones to come by. Other than this one, I still have been able to get every one that has been released, and it's still fun! 

I've also started collecting them since day one but my collection is not nearly as complete as yours. It's pretty fun looking forward of getting them on release date. I don't have that sketch variant just the color one. 

• 3 years later...

I know I shouldn't be resurrecting this thread, but I'm just too happy and need to post. As of this month, my collection of these marvel lego variant covers is complete. I believe I am the first person to ever have a confirmed complete collection of these. I have every single one that was released in both regular (1:25) and sketch (1:100) variants. Only the two at the top (Rocket Raccoon #1 and Marvel Universe: Avengers Assemble #1) never had sketch variants released. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ExoBro94 said:

I know I shouldn't be resurrecting this thread, but I'm just too happy and need to post. As of this month, my collection of these marvel lego variant covers is complete. I believe I am the first person to ever have a confirmed complete collection of these. I have every single one that was released in both regular (1:25) and sketch (1:100) variants. Only the two at the top (Rocket Raccoon #1 and Marvel Universe: Avengers Assemble #1) never had sketch variants released. 

Very cool. I only got 8 of these covers in CGC 9.8. Did you ever go after the DC LEGO variants that came out later?

5 hours ago, ExoBro94 said:

Jealous...super cool. 

12 hours ago, lobo1969 said:

Very cool. I only got 8 of these covers in CGC 9.8. Did you ever go after the DC LEGO variants that came out later?

No, I didn't go for any of the DC ones. I didn't like how uninspired and generic they were. The backgrounds were all the same and the characters were CGI rendered instead of drawn.