7754 - Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser

mr_cotta

Funny you bring up this set. This is one of of the first sets I ever came across on eBay and I was fascinated by it. As I got more into legos and investing the less this set interested me. I did think it was the coolest set ever at one point not so long ago. As for investment purposes I feel like this won't do super. With that said my feelings are solely based on my amateur experiences only and I would definitely listen to what Ed and Jeff say because they are the real experts here (whether they think so or not lol)

Funny you bring up this set. This is one of of the first sets I ever came across on eBay and I was fascinated by it. As I got more into legos and investing the less this set interested me. I did think it was the coolest set ever at one point not so long ago. As for investment purposes I feel like this won't do super. With that said my feelings are solely based on my amateur experiences only and I would definitely listen to what Ed and Jeff say because they are the real experts here (whether they think so or not lol)

Thanks...but we are no experts, just fans like everyone else. The 7754 has been heavily discounted and you can find that set in many STAR WARS set "lots" on EBAY. The one thing I like about that set is that LEGO probably won't reproduce another version anytime soon, so these STAR WARS sets that are slightly different from the typical "ship" set do very well in the secondary market.

This is one of the first sets I ever bought for investment purposes, and I've been slightly disappointed by its performance in the secondary market. I bought it 50% off LEGO.com (it was a clearance item after Christmas) and I expected it to at least shoot back up to retail price after being discontinued, but two years later and it barely breaks $100. I really like the set itself, but right now it's not performing as well I would have hoped.

See that is what I am saying, if two years after its EOL it is not performing well, what would suddenly make it become a good investment? Bottom line though is if you like the set I think you should buy it. I have bought many under performing sets just because I like them, 7661 and 7962 just to name a few.

It has gone up over 12% in the past year(better than average set). This set will never light the world on fire, but if a person likes it and can buy it for less than MSRP, it might be a good deal.

Although I have quite a few of them--all bought at discounted rate--I really don't like it very much for an investment at this point. The larger ships seem to do better. I'll guarantee that everyone who has a sealed 7754 wishes they had bought 8039(Venator) instead. I would be surprised for 7754 to reach $200 within the next two years. If you have the money to buy one and are contemplating it, I would rather sink that $100 into a Medieval Market or even a Malevolence and wait for that to retire. Just too many other better options out there, IMO /shrug Just my 7 cents

• 4 months later...

Bumping this. If anything, this set seems to be tanking in secondary market at least looking on eBay recently. So weird, just a bad combo of uninteresting minifigs and structure? I will say this was one of the first ones I bought when I started to stockpile some sets for my son, specifically for the Admiral Ackbar figure. :-)

This set should be discussed more by investors as a cautionary tale about potential dangers of investing in Lego. This sets seems like it should have been a surefire winner. It was an exclusive to Lego and TRU, apparently at one point it could have been had for significantly below retail, 6 minifigs many of which remain exclusive to the set. What went wrong? With the new A-wing coming out that's a strike against this set, but that doesn't explain what did this set in. Is it the low brick count? This high initial pricetag? Boring characters? Nobody wants Mon Mothma and General Madine? For what its worth it does look like anyone who was able to originally get it sub 70$ can probably flip it now and eke out a tiny profit, but this should reinforce why it is critical for investors to keep careful tabs on all of their costs as well as maximize every opportunity to purchase investment stock on sale below retail. Folks who saw a surefire hit and bought a bunch of these at full price are either taking their losses on the chin now or taking an opportunity cost loss as their investment money lies tied up in stock they can't move with no guarantee of ever being able to recoup even their initial investment.

Indeed a cautionary tale - I still look at this set and think it is cool and should do well! (which tells you how much I know) Perhaps people were just getting tired of SW, or Ackbar isn't as cool as he thinks he is. I think the only way this set starts gaining big is a new generation of SW films re-ignites interest for the next generation. God help us (investors) if Jar Jar plays a critical role in the new trilogy.

• 3 months later...

While Disney may have their missteps, I doubt Jar Jar in Star Wars VII will be one of them. As for investment cautionary tales, I have one of these that I got for a good discount after I'd gotten my first at nearly MSRP. I figure my investment is small, and the holding cost doesn't matter. The store exclusives don't always go over so well. I still think it's a pretty decent set, especially given the unique 'figs.

The Home One illustrates perfectly that not all OT sets are surefire winners. There are some good OT sets, some average, and some just suck -- same with Clone Wars sets, and prequel sets. I think it would have been much more interesting if they had dropped the A-Wing, which is included for no good reason, and designed the set more like the 6211 Star Destroyer, with the interior of the ship containing different scenes from the movie. Oh well, too late now.

Yes even I got stuck buy 12 of these for $50 Each, Even if you can get these cheap I would not buy any, Its hard to believe it was a Fans Pick to make this set.

Ouch, I know 12 isn't that many to you considering the high volume of numbers you push and your purchasing power, but that's still gotta sting a bit. I met a guy locally who had about 10 or 12 Anakins podracers that he paid 50 for and is having a hard time dumping them for enough to make any profit at all...seems that set has fallen in the same pit as this one.

This set is a real beacon of failure for sure. It has the lowest CAGR for any Star Wars set from 2009 or previous. In fact the only worst ones I could find from other themes were a handful of Racers sets like 8182 and 8495. There are in fact 11 other Star Wars sets from 2010 and 2011 that have a worse CAGR so far. But that could just be due to retail discounting and not yet being EOL or not EOL for long, so they haven't had time to grow. It will be interesting if any of them can wrest the crown from Mon Calamari in the future years. 7931 7956 8095 7965 7877 7957 7930 7961 7958 7962 7959

I think part of this set's problem was they really overdid the supply. They need to go back to being more "limited edition" than they really are. Ever since they ran out of set 7666 a few years back, TRU seems to over-order their exclusives to avoid being out of stock.

That is a very good observation.  It's something that I don't think we factor into investing decisions as much as we could/should.  It is very hard to judge though.  All we really have to go by is stock levels on shelves and how long they sit there.  I know when I go to my local stores every few weeks or so I make a quick mental note of what sets seem to not have moved at all.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone noticed that set 7754 is no longer available on any european Amazon sites

I was just perusing the European Amazon sites and have just noticed that the Home One Mon Calimari Star Cruiser is no longer available for sale at any of the sites. This seems to be the only retired star Wars set available on said Amazon sites that has completely disappeared. Any thoughts as to why and could this set begin to see some gain?

I was just perusing the European Amazon sites and have just noticed that the Home One Mon Calimari Star Cruiser is no longer available for sale at any of the sites. This seems to be the only retired star Wars set available on said Amazon sites that has completely disappeared. Any thoughts as to why and could this set begin to see some gain?

I found it on the ES site. Obviously as a 2009 set, it's only available from 3rd party sellers.