79008 - Pirate Ship Ambush

17 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

This set just won't go away. I have zero right now, but there are five on the shelf at my TRU that keep calling my name. The thing is... the same boxes were there 3 or 4 months ago... a bit shelf worn... I asked if they had anymore in back and they said "no". So back then I asked the store manager if she would go 50% off the $99 price, if I took all 5 off her hands.  She said the best she could do would be 30% off. At the time, I could do 30% myself with coupons + TRUTH, so I decided to pass. Now - months later - I'm wondering if she might accept my offer. You know... year end and all... may need to clear things out? On the other hand, though, I'm thinking... the same 5 boxes sat there through Christmas - prominently displayed on and endcap - buyers must really hate this set? You can still buy them at toysrus.com, limit 5.  If Toysrus can't sell them at $99...with free Bricktober... or polybag promos... why should I want them?

The best thing about this set is all the minifigures, but yeah... the ship ain't much of a ship... not much to look at. Maybe I should just forget about it.

I don't think people hate it, just LEGO came up with better alternatives. Typical cannibalism.

• Like 1

I'm down to one...got great discounts on them at Target (before it left Canada) so the return was okay. It took Helm's Deep a second Christmas post EOL to really get moving for me (sold six this holiday season) so I think 79008 will see a very slow steady rise from here on out. Emphasis on slow :(

Canadians can still get these at MSRP but I won't bite until the selling price is consistently around $160 CAD (currently seems around $130-140 CAD)

• 5 weeks later...

For those of you who have purchased this set and built it, would you recommend it? I read through the thread and saw people all excited about it in the beginning and then let down towards the end.

Local TRU has about 4 in stock for $99. It doesn't seem like it is a good investment, but I was wondering if it would be good for the personal collection? I asked the manager if they discounted discontinued Lego sets, and he said he couldn't do that it had to come from their corporate, so no luck on getting it cheaper.

For those of you who have purchased this set and built it, would you recommend it? I read through the thread and saw people all excited about it in the beginning and then let down towards the end.

Local TRU has about 4 in stock for $99. It doesn't seem like it is a good investment, but I was wondering if it would be good for the personal collection? I asked the manager if they discounted discontinued Lego sets, and he said he couldn't do that it had to come from their corporate, so no luck on getting it cheaper.

If you purchase on a Thursday with a TRU CC (& tell the cashier you'd like the TRU CC discount) you'll get 10% off...

12 minutes ago, Bags751 said:

I'd buy at least one at that price.  I helped my son build this one, and it's one of his favorite sets he has.  Personally, I like this set and don't really get the hate of it, even if it's not the Imperial Flagship or Queen Anne's Revenge.  It looks like the ship straight from the movie, so the replica is well done, and the minifigures are decent.  We have this displayed prominently in his room.  Granted, I purchased a few copies for 45.00 at a walmart about a year and a half ago, so you won't find those prices today.  However, its starting to go up in value, and I suspect it will go much higher as time goes on.  If you can get a discount, and you can at least get 10% more with coupons right now, i'd buy at least one.  Even if you tire of it down the line, a used copy will at least net you what you paid at that price. 

Bags-  It was a fun set to build and displays very well.  I know many people are down on the set but I very much like it.  Last time I checked was still available on toys r us which I think is why it has really hurt the price of the set right now.  I have  mine up on a shelf with all my other Lotr sets and besides the Gathering and Helms deep this one looks the best.  

36 minutes ago, Bags751 said:

The only problem with this set is that this is an investment site and the set is still available for retail cost long after many of us bought it at clearance pricing thinking it was going away. This is a wonderful set. The figures are outstanding, the exclusive figures are amazing and it has the main heroes. If this thing had dispersed with the rest of the line it would be $200 by now. The problem with this thinking is we believe there are way too many out there to be consumed by the market. However if you were just looking at the quality of this set say 3 years from now, someone will be very, very interested in it. Sometimes we worry too much about current availability versus future desirability and quality. I feel this way about Benny's spaceship as well. There appear to be way too many of them available for below retail right now, but that might not matter 3 years from now when someone looks at the set and is very impressed by it.

I'd rather put my money behind a quality set and know that I need to wait 3 to 4 years to cash in versus buying something that disappeared quickly,  and had mainly perceived scarcity as a selling point. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

The only problem with this set is that this is an investment site and the set is still available for retail cost long after many of us bought it at clearance pricing thinking it was going away. This is a wonderful set. The figures are outstanding, the exclusive figures are amazing and it has the main heroes. If this thing had dispersed with the rest of the line it would be $200 by now. The problem with this thinking is we believe there are way too many out there to be consumed by the market. However if you were just looking at the quality of this set say 3 years from now, someone will be very, very interested in it. Sometimes we worry too much about current availability versus future desirability and quality. I feel this way about Benny's spaceship as well. There appear to be way too many of them available for below retail right now, but that might not matter 3 years from now when someone looks at the set and is very impressed by it.

I'd rather put my money behind a quality set and know that I need to wait 3 to 4 years to cash in versus buying something that disappeared quickly,  and had mainly perceived scarcity as a selling point. 

LOTR set prices could be very interesting (for better or worse) in another 3-4 years. The entire theme could be more popular long after retail than during it.  I assume if the sets were released during the 3 films, demand would have been far better.  Instead, Lego was forced to release the theme with the Hobbit movies that many considered "so so".  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mudcatsfan said:

Massive dose of wisdom here especially for newer investors who can handle not flipping everything in a year or less.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, that is all good info and is appreciated. I'll head there tomorrow and grab it.

On 1/26/2016 at 1:48 PM, dcdfan said:

If you purchase on a Thursday with a TRU CC (& tell the cashier you'd like the TRU CC discount) you'll get 10% off...

I didn't know that. I did recently sign up for the TRU CC, so I'll have to ask them for that tomorrow. Thanks!

Looked into this a bit more last night after spotting this thread. Managed to pick one up off Ebay for £85 posted (brand new sealed in box) which I thought was a fair deal. This will be going up the loft for a few years. I also can't really understand why the price hasn't appreciated too much by now. If it does in the coming years, I've got one now. :)

• Like 1

Looked into this a bit more last night after spotting this thread. Managed to pick one up off Ebay for £85 posted (brand new sealed in box) which I thought was a fair deal. This will be going up the loft for a few years. I also can't really understand why the price hasn't appreciated too much by now. If it does in the coming years, I've got one now.

I think we stated the reasons in the last page of this thread.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 2:47 PM, Kenxxx said:

Finally, they put 79008 on clearance at my TRU. Still not really interested at this $69.98...

I know LOTR hasn't been blowing anyone anyway, but with TRUTH and rewards, I'd (me personally) be scooping those up at $70.

15 minutes ago, Achilles said:

I know LOTR hasn't been blowing anyone anyway, but with TRUTH and rewards, I'd (me personally) be scooping those up at $70.

The problem is that they aren't even disappearing at $70.  I picked up a few of these at $60 in December 2013 (!) when my local Kmart was shutting down.  In September 2014, I was able to pick up a few more at a Walmart clearance for $40.  They're all still sitting there, collecting dust.