Which LEGO Star Wars Sets Bombed?

Doofy McGee

As we all know, Star Wars is the cornerstone of most serious LEGO enthusiasts collections. Many SW sets have soared to enormous values and have made a lot of people a lot of money. So here is my question, and this is for the veterans on the site... What Star Wars sets flopped, or became investment nightmares? Or for that matter, which ones were so terrible, ridiculous, etc. that you couldn't even bring yourself to buy them in the first place? I am fairly new to this gig. There are so many SW sets that I wouldn't even know where to begin analyzing the data for this topic.

I think most STAR WARS sets appreciate to a degree, some more than others. I don't think there are too many older SW sets that did not go up in value. The BRICK INDEX for the STAR WARS theme is a good place to start. These are the TOP 20 STAR WARS sets in appreciation over the last 6 months. We don't like to promote underachieving sets. The worst SW sets is something you will have to search through yourself. May I suggest just going through the Price/Set Guide page for STAR WARS sets for SW sets that are at least a year or two old and see for yourself. It's a little tedious, but a lot of fun.

Off the top of my head, some more recent ones that are underperforming.. Home One Midi Star Destroyer 2011 Advent Calendar The Twilight Anakin's Y Wing V-19 Torrent I think it is interesting to look at some of these sets to see why they haven't performed well...some are obvious (The Twilight is just a giant grey thing), others less so (Home One was a TRU exclusive which should have limited supply). In other cases the supply has really far outstripped demand...The Midi Star Destroyer is a nice model to put on your desk at work, but Walmart had a ton of them and clearanced them for half off. Same with the Advent Calendar, Lego really miscalculated the appeal it seems.

Thank you for the list cbaker1974. It provided some good insight. I wanted to see a list so I could look at it and figure out why the sets in question don't do well. Your list did exactly what I hoped for. After looking at the sets you mentioned, it's no surprise that they are doing well. Take The Twilight for instance. It is a big ugly grey blob. Anakin's Y-Wing looks stupid too and comes with lame mini figures. The Midi Star Destroyer looks really cheap, and has NO mini figures. The point of all this is...I am trying to sniff out the under performers BEFORE I buy them, no after. :) Thanks again!