6860 - The Batcave

Dr. Brick

• 4 weeks later...

For $50-60 the Batcave is a good investment once retired, Should be a $150 and up set, people will have 2 choices paying $400 and up for the one that came out a few years ago or the 6860 set at around $150 and up. So get them while you can.

Prices on these already seemed to be picking up on feebay. Might be worth picking these up even at full retail (69.99). Thoughts???

Prices on these already seemed to be picking up on feebay. Might be worth picking these up even at full retail (69.99). Thoughts???

I think picking some up at retail is a good idea.  Amazon.com has 98 left right now.  The last time amazon.com went out of stock, the buy-box price jumped to $109.99.

Amazon.com still has 46 in stock for $69.99.

They're down to 26 now...This was off the shelves in my area for a few months and suddenly my local Wal-Mart put 10 back on the shelves...possibly a lost box in some warehouse. I contemplated picking another one up but just couldn't bring myself to pay full retail.

I'm sure this time next year I'll regret it but you can't but them all!

These have been pretty sparse in my area for a couple months now. Targets are empty, TRU doesn't have any in stock, I only know 1-2 walmarts that have them at retail and I've never seen them on sale or clearance and I've been to dozens of retailers multiple times in the last few months. I feel like even if it's not EOL, stores aren't restocking and the price will probably skyrocket as soon as it gets an official EOL tag.

This set is a goner. Waiting to pick up more from a local non-national retailer. You guys are missing the boat if you don't have any, if there's a wave 2 of Batman, people will want the Batcave, and this is $150 I bet a year from now.

This already was the 2nd Batman wave. And the 2nd Batcave. First one was 7783.

Remember that what a set does on retail shelves is not always an indicator of its retirement status.  Even the big box retailers like Target, Walmart, etc. only have so much room in their Lego aisles.  A set like the Batcave has a very large box, and they can't tie up a shelf spot on something that size forever.  With all the new stuff that comes out, they need to stop selling something old to make room for the new.

As everyone knows, this wave of Batman stuff in the blue box has been out for two years come December, so naturally the EOL discussions are going to heat up.  However, history has also taught me (the hard way) that something isn't retired until Lego.com officially labels it "Retired Product."  The Batcave is almost certainly on it's way out in the next few months, but I wouldn't count it out yet.  I think it will be a great seller at Christmas time, so why would Lego stop making it now and lose all those sales?  Most people can't afford the Arkham Asylum set at $159.99, so the Batcave becomes the next best option, and most people can afford $69.99 for a Christmas present for their kids.

My two cents about this set as an investment:  There is no way this set won't climb up over $100 within the first year after official retirement.  Keep in mind that it retails for $69.99, so there is no reason it shouldn't see a pretty quick 30% climb in value.  If you got this set for $49 at Walmart as I'm sure a lot of people have, it is a pretty solid lock to double your investment before too long.  They are still out there at $49, so don't give up yet if you don't have any!

Remember that what a set does on retail shelves is not always an indicator of its retirement status.  Even the big box retailers like Target, Walmart, etc. only have so much room in their Lego aisles.  A set like the Batcave has a very large box, and they can't tie up a shelf spot on something that size forever.  With all the new stuff that comes out, they need to stop selling something old to make room for the new.

As everyone knows, this wave of Batman stuff in the blue box has been out for two years come December, so naturally the EOL discussions are going to heat up.  However, history has also taught me (the hard way) that something isn't retired until Lego.com officially labels it "Retired Product."  The Batcave is almost certainly on it's way out in the next few months, but I wouldn't count it out yet.  I think it will be a great seller at Christmas time, so why would Lego stop making it now and lose all those sales?  Most people can't afford the Arkham Asylum set at $159.99, so the Batcave becomes the next best option, and most people can afford $69.99 for a Christmas present for their kids.

My two cents about this set as an investment:  There is no way this set won't climb up over $100 within the first year after official retirement.  Keep in mind that it retails for $69.99, so there is no reason it shouldn't see a pretty quick 30% climb in value.  If you got this set for $49 at Walmart as I'm sure a lot of people have, it is a pretty solid lock to double your investment before too long.  They are still out there at $49, so don't give up yet if you don't have any!

I've been hunting for some at $49 and haven't come across them at all. And I have hit the retail stores hard all through the summer and fall in my area as well as other areas I've visited. My Targets sold out and never restocked and most of them just have a empty space where this was.