10937 - Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

StarCityBrickCompany

Wow!! This looks awesome! Anyone know when this is suppose to be released? Also do you think the release of this will hurt the value of the old Arkham Asylum?

I think I read somewhere it will be available first part of 2013. Past trends suggest that the old set will suffer a drop in value a initially, but will recover eventually, as for how much not sure.

Wow!! This looks awesome! Anyone know when this is suppose to be released? Also do you think the release of this will hurt the value of the old Arkham Asylum?

I think I read somewhere it will be available first part of 2013. Past trends suggest that the old set will suffer a drop in value a initially, but will recover eventually, as for how much not sure.

Yeah that's understandable. The old Arkham Asylum set from 06' has increased 4 times its original value, I would love to invest in some of these new ones once they come out, but I'm afraid that they may release a third Arkham Asylum in another 5 years or so, but then again it could still be an investment winner regardless.

Yeah that's understandable. Those old Arkham Asylum sets from 06' have increased 4 times their original value, I would love to invest in some of these new ones once they come out, but I'm afraid that they may release a third Arkham Asylum in another 5 years or so, but then again it could still be an investment winner regardless.

The set looks fantastic. If you have an old one...sell it now!

Definitely a cool set, and as one that missed on the original, and doesn't want to shell out $300+ for it, I am very much looking forward to buying a couple. But at $160, it will have to be on sale. Putting this together with the Vampire Castle would look really cool, and add some more holding cells. Someone on Eurobricks i think modded a VP to make it an updated Arkham, and it looked really cool.

Hey everyone, just curious what your opinions are on this years Batcave and the new Arkham Asylum sets when it comes to investing. Do you think they both will be investment winners? And if so do you think they will ever reach the value of the old Batcave and Arkham Asylum. Personally I think they will both be winners, just not sure if they will ever perform the way the originials have, let me know what you all think.

Hey everyone, just curious what your opinions are on this years Batcave and the new Arkham Asylum sets when it comes to investing. Do you think they both will be investment winners? And if so do you think they will ever reach the value of the old Batcave and Arkham Asylum. Personally I think they will both be winners, just not sure if they will ever perform the way the originials have, let me know what you all think.

While I think both will be winners,(how could they not?) I think there is more to gain on the Batcaves simply because a guy can pick one up for what? $70? The original is going for over $300 now and I believe had a similar MSRP when it hit shelves. Do I think this one will also hit that level? No, not really, but you could(should) triple your money relatively easily as that still hits at around the $200 mark.

Arkhum Asylum's pricetag is going to keep some from buying originally, which may help on the secondary market because not everyone will have one, but even to double your money it going to have to hit the $300 mark if you don't get it on a great sale, which is what I will wait for. I will buy at least 1 AA because I don't have the original, and would like to offset it's price with selling the other down the line, but it will be cost prohibitive outside of a BOGO 50% off sale.

I relatively concur with these opinions. The new Batcave is super cool and has great mini figs, so I see that going up pretty well. I don't think it will hit the level of the old Batcave, for two reasons. 1. The old Batcave came with more stuff. 2. I think there are far less of the old Batcave still left floating around out there. The scarcity keeps the price up. The new Arkham Asylum is (in my opinion) about 100 times cooler than the old one. People will lose some interest in the old one because of this. The value might come down a little, but it is never going to get any less rare, so it will always fetch a good price. The MSRP of the new Arkham Asylum might make it a less lucrative investment just because the beginning ceiling is already high. It may double, and it would be very nice to make $150 on it or whatever the price is. Here is another thing to consider... The Modular Buildings are not as widely available at retail, so they stay under a lot of peoples' radars for a while. That's why they need to resort to getting them at secondary market prices, because they didn't realize they existed when they were still for sale. The new Arkham Asylum will have a lot higher visibility, so a lot of people will get them the first time around. I could be entirely wrong about all this of course. I am still going to invest in an AA or two just because it is so freakin' awesome! As far as the Batcave (6860), I already have 5 of those that I am sitting on because I know it is gonna be a good one in a couple years.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking the 10937 Batman Arkham Asylum set will find a place in my Halloween display. It will look great alongside the Vampyre Castle and Haunted House! Gothic look, gargoyles and kool gate, I might even keep the minifigures with it. lol What do you think?

I'm thinking the 10937 Batman Arkham Asylum set will find a place in my Halloween display. It will look great alongside the Vampyre Castle and Haunted House! Gothic look, gargoyles and kool gate, I might even keep the minifigures with it. lol

What do you think?

I agree this will be a sweet looking set to combine with the HH and VC for a great looking Halloween scene next year!!

Heck yeah! I think LEGO should do more spooky themed stuff. I believe it would do well all year round, not just at Halloween time. Ed had an awesome idea on another thread... a whole Collectible Mini Figures series worth of Zombies! Could you imagine how awesome that would be?!? 16 new zombies to get all at once! Make it happen LEGO!

• 2 months later...

I think it is a great set and I will be buying at least one to build to add to my Halloween display and more for investing. Since this set just came out I would wait until you see it on sale. If it shows up on Amazon it will likely be 20% off or more at some point, free shipping, no tax and 3% more off for using an Amazon credit card. If Lego keeps it as an exclusive then I would buy it at the end of this year when Lego probably does a 10% off sale with free shipping and maybe even a Holiday promotional set you can use to offset the cost. Last VIP sale (before black Friday) I got the Haunted House at $179.99 - 18 (10% off) - $16 (profit on Holiday promotional set) - 8.95 (5% off on VIP points) and free shipping/no tax for $136 which is a pretty good deal (24.5% off)and will certainly help with the profit if I ever sell one! ;-)