10937 - Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

StarCityBrickCompany

Out of these three sets, if you could pick one to own, which one would it be?  The reason I ask is because this is my exact situation.  I love all three themes, and all three sets are similar enough in price.  I think that all of them will do great as investments, but how do you pick just one when that is likely all you can afford?  I am curious to hear everyones' thoughts on this.  Please try to stick to the facts, and limit personal bias for each theme whenever possible.  Thanks!

To own and build it would be Orthanc.

As an investment I would go with the one closest to retirement, which most people would assume to be the Haunted House.  That way you can always sell that set after the initial price jump after EOL and then still have time to buy one of the others at retail, while banking any profits.

As an investment I would go with the one closest to retirement, which most people would assume to be the Haunted House.  That way you can always sell that set after the initial price jump after EOL and then still have time to buy one of the others at retail, while banking any profits.

That seems like very reasonable logic.  :thumbsup:

Similar thoughts.

Orthanic is to me, by far the most impressive of the three having them all. Orthanic is incredible and daunting - just impossible to not notice it when you walk in a room because it is massive, black, and has a 13inch Mega-figure.

As far as investment, we really have no idea which one is closest to EOL, but I think Haunted House has the most upside, but orthanic could easily be the best seller - we will see when the current LOTR sets start to appreciate. I am gonna bank on the Haunted House, with Orthanic a close second, and Arkham a distant third.

for investment prob the HH or AAB as bother are older and will retire first, tower has a another year or two of shelf life if not more. The HH is rather lame on its own i think its close relation to the modular series is giving it more demand. The tower is pretty much the flagship of the LOTR series, not sure about the AAB i dont get into comics and super heroes.

for investment prob the HH or AAB as bother are older and will retire first, tower has a another year or two of shelf life if not more. The HH is rather lame on its own i think its close relation to the modular series is giving it more demand. The tower is pretty much the flagship of the LOTR series, not sure about the AAB i dont get into comics and super heroes.

Thats the first time I have ever heard the Haunted House is lame. Have you seen it? Its pretty impressive no matter where its at.

Thats the first time I have ever heard the Haunted House is lame. Have you seen it? Its pretty impressive no matter where its at.

guess i should have been more specific, i think the monsters theme is kind of lame. Sure the house is impressive, but from what ive seen most people are using the house not as a monsters theme but as a modular or city theme.

guess i should have been more specific, i think the monsters theme is kind of lame. Sure the house is impressive, but from what ive seen most people are using the house not as a monsters theme but as a modular or city theme.

Ah I see what you mean. I would agree with that - I am not overly impressed. I like the ghost train but it could have been a lot better. I am pretty bullish ont eh other sets. But the VC and HH are pretty awesome - especially as halloween decorations. I keep my HH in my lego room - comes out for halloween.

I own and have built all three...personally, I would skip AA, the build was simple, used too many large pieces, and was not terribly exciting.  AA also feels strictly like a playset and has almost no solid display properties (Small, dark, unrecognizable)  As a LOTR fan, I think the TOO is a great set, but with the missing back it feels "thin"  Not necessarily a bad thing, but it lacks the heft that the HH brings to the table.  I really appreciate how heavy and sturdy my HH feels.  I would probably lean towards whichever of the two (TOO, HH) are going to retire first...and try TRY your hardest to get both.  Considering that you probably want a solid answer I would lean on the HH because of the lower price.  At $20 cheaper it makes just as good a display piece as TOO and will probably appreciate a little faster (considering the rarity of all those green pieces.)  Either way, you're in the best possible position, hahahaha "Which toy do I get to buy myself to build/play with?"

Enjoy!

Buy the Arkham Asylum or Tower of Orthanc just in case Haunted House can flop.  Take out the emotion, and think what can recover your capital if s**t hits the fan.  You have a better chances retaining value with those 8 minifigures in the Asylum or the Tree, Eagle, and the 5 minifigures in the ToT than the Haunted House.  

My favourite of the three is definitely Arkham. I love batman. Always will. I had the opportunity to see Orthanc in the window at my Lego store last week. Wow! It`s huge! Because it is such a stunner in a popular theme, I`d say it will have the most potential if they were to retire now. If they keep it available for 4 years, then who knows, but all I`m saying now is that if they were to retire at this moment, Orthanc is were I`d want my money. 

Bottom line is all 3 are great looking sets, I just prefer AA because of personal reasons (fanboy interest), and Orthanc for it`s size and desirability. HH is likely to go first, and because it is also a great set in a previously unexplored theme for Lego,  it would be the one to buy today IMHO. Hopefully this post makes as much sense as it did in my head  :laugh:

I'm not sure that that HH can be considered an overly 'niche' themed set like the rest of the MONSTERS line appears to be. Halloween/horror themed items will always be timeless and since this LEGO's first major haunted house release that can fit in any CITY or Modular setup or be an excellent stand alone model. Any non- LEGO person can look at it and immediately identify and appreciate for what it is. TOO is impressive by itself but non-LEGO and non-LotR fans won't have a clue what it is. This goes the same with AA, if you don't care about Batman or superhero themes then how much appeal does AA have?

My point is: HH may have the greatest long term potential because its appeal with the general public is probably under estimated.