Lord of the Rings 2014

After thinking about it, the only other big set I would like to see that I may put ahead of Minas Tirith would be a Rivendell set like Diagon Alley, that gave you a few buildings and a ton of figures.

I highly doubt we will see anymore Rivendell sets considering we got the Council of Elrond set. 

My guess is they will do a smaller Minas Tirith set since even a half ass version would still cost about $200.  It would have to be a $400 set to really get the effect of the city, and even then, it would be too small, which is why I think you'll see a set with the White Tree or something like that for $40-60 and hopefully throw in some folks like Denethor, but he's very low on my list of wants for this theme.  At the same time, MT is about the only other site that I think would deserve the D2C treatment.  I can't think of another place in Middle Earth that A)would be more deserving, and B) people would actually buy. Yeah, you could make a big Mordor location, but I don't know who would buy it outside of the die hards.  Orthanc was a great location to make as it has plenty of action going on around it in the movies. 

After thinking about it, the only other big set I would like to see that I may put ahead of Minas Tirith would be a Rivendell set like Diagon Alley, that gave you a few buildings and a ton of figures.

But none those Rivendell figures would really be useful... except for die hard Elf fans....

We got way too many elves now in Hobbit and LTOR combined.... both generic and named...

I highly doubt we will see anymore Rivendell sets considering we got the Council of Elrond set. 

Hopefully they'll consider Council of Elrond the "add on" set.  

It's been done before.  Harry Potter had lots of Diagon Alley shop sets before 10217 was made.  Granted, they were several years prior to DA. 

Of the major battle scenes in LOTR, lego has already done big sets for helms deep and orthanc. The battle of Minas Tirith is the largest and most memorable of the movie trilogy. So my bet is that it will be made and it has to be a big set, UCS level, I hope.

Nah if so it is likely we are getting 90

If they did Pelenor they would have room for a UCS Minas Tirith. Might have to retire Orthanc before it comes out though, not sure how much shelf space they want to budget to UCS LOTR themes.

I doubt we will ever see another LOTR UCS.... Better not hope for it tbh....

But Doing pelennor fields we could get Oliphont (instead of Gates of Minas Tirith) and haradrim instead of maybe Denethor/pippin (in Gondor attire) which I personally would prefer. But if making Pelennor fields would mean we get a Rohan Rider instead of Gondor Soldier (with shield) then I would be heavily against it lol

Doesn't make much sense to do a LOTR/Hobbit line and not include:

Balrog v. Gandalf

Fell Beast v. Eoywn

A UCS Minas Tirith

A UCS Smaug

The Battle of the Five Armies

A UCS Tower of Barad-ur

Dol Guldur

The Siege of Osgiliaoth

Galadrial

An Oliphant

The Argonath

Amon Hen and a Boromir v. Lurtz set

Faramir

Denethor

Only one Samwise

Mount Doom

The Stone Giants from the Hobbit

The Trolls turning to Stone

An actual Sauron figure v. Isildur

Pretty much the entire LOTR/Hobbit world would be ripe for representation....

If they did Pelenor they would have room for a UCS Minas Tirith. Might have to retire Orthanc before it comes out though, not sure how much shelf space they want to budget to UCS LOTR themes.

why would lego not consider doing a second UCS set for LOTR, where almost all the buyers are AFOLs who prefer UCS any thing.

why would lego not consider doing a second UCS set for LOTR, where almost all the buyers are AFOLs who prefer UCS any thing.

Because if LEGO would consider that in the first place we would now have 3 prints of Mordor orcs, 3 prints of Rohan Soldiers only 1 version of each of Fellowship and 3x as many regular soldiers to begin with....

Now personally I dont prefer UCS anything... I prefer huge armies when I talk about LOTR.... I would buy a LOTR Chess set... but would not buy UCS Mount Doom....

so saying UCS is ultimately better than other stuff I disagree....

A UCS Mount Doom would be the worst set of all time.  What the heck are you going to do with a rock face and a bridge leading to some lava? 

It really depends on how well Orthanc is selling.  If it is doing well, they will probably invest in another D2C playset.  If it's not, then they won't, for LotR at least.  Hobbit could still get the treatment with Erebor or Smaug.  Lego really doesn't care if we have every figure/scene we want(think Indiana Jones), though they have definitely turned their focus to figures lately, just look at Star Wars for proof.  Rehashes of sets but with new figures, rinse and repeat. 

A UCS Mount Doom would be the worst set of all time.  What the heck are you going to do with a rock face and a bridge leading to some lava? 

It really depends on how well Orthanc is selling.  If it is doing well, they will probably invest in another D2C playset.  If it's not, then they won't, for LotR at least.  Hobbit could still get the treatment with Erebor or Smaug.  Lego really doesn't care if we have every figure/scene we want(think Indiana Jones), though they have definitely turned their focus to figures lately, just look at Star Wars for proof.  Rehashes of sets but with new figures, rinse and repeat. 

I doubt it depends on how well Orthanc does... I mean didnt LEGO said they need about a year from idea stage to set in production/shelf time? If so then they would be designing set right now with expected release in 2015 which is highly unlikely...

so either a D2C UCS set of LOTR is already envisioned and ready to go I dont see anything else happening... ever...

Our best hope is that those 3 rumored sets being released in October / summer whatever with 1 number missing (exclusive) are LOTR sets and that we atleast get Faramir and Gondor Soldier (with new print or new molded shield + print and ofcourse helmet!) hopefully also Witch King, Balrog and Eowyn....

No kidding! My point of view is if you (anyone in general) want a decent Mount Doom, build it yourself. Even if Lego decided to make a version of it, nothing they`de make would capture everything, even at $500. Multiple that cost by 5-10+, then we`re talking. Anything less just sounds mediocre. 

No kidding! My point of view is if you (anyone in general) want a decent Mount Doom, build it yourself. Even if Lego decided to make a version of it, nothing they`de make would capture everything, even at $500. Multiple that cost by 5-10+, then we`re talking. Anything less just sounds mediocre. 

I like that you think big!

I also want a fell beast more than a balrog.  Not that TLG cares what I think...

I'm a really big fan of the LOTR sets. Its the only lego I'm buying not as an investment. I really hope they do a set with an elephant, I think that would be really awesome!

yes, do a motorised elephant like the AT-AT. Essentially the same design but add some pieces to make it look like the elephant in LOTR. Lego designers, are you listening?

They have been putting them on everything. I was suprised the disney sets didn't have them.

They are easy enough to add.

"Hey Ariel, it's me, Prince Whatever"....Wham! Flick-fire right to his grill. That actually might make me want to build that set. :)

• Like 2

They are easy enough to add.

"Hey Ariel, it's me, Prince Whatever"....Wham! Flick-fire right to his grill. That actually might make me want to build that set. :)

The Dolphin Cruiser would look a lot more menacing with flick fire missiles.  Even if they were pink and purple...

• Like 1

Personally, I seriously doubt the legitimacy of the rumors (though they are listed on half a dozen sites, it's all from some random...), and also have mixed feelings about those sets (the "12.99" sounds very boring. Galadriel would be nice, but lame otherwise). If those ARe real though, I would still expect 1-3 more sets (limited edition, exlusives, ect. all take a few more months to be known. - with star wars at least...). Anyway, the things I see that MUST be made (to finish up what we're missing I mean) are;

- Sets for Gondor and Pelennor Fields. No doubt about it. This is why I see the 40$ rumored set as most likely. That, some replica of Gondor, and maybe a set with a war elephant would complete the minimum IMO.

- Faramir. If there is an Osgiliath set (I really hope so), he is a must. We need him to go with Boromir...

- Sauron, and his tower. Should be very similar to Saruman's, but with different coloring of course. This would be amazing IMO. EVERY fan (of LOTR+LEGO at least...esp. Adult) would want "The Two Towers" together. BEST. Coffee. table. display. ever! And a Sauron minifig, if they do his justice, would be insane.

^ Yup, switched into speculation/fanboy mode. That would cover everything missing from first 2 releases (bar the more obsure characters...Denethor, or Wormtonge [lol]).

...But if that didn't work out, a Mount Doom with flick fire missiles would work OK... As long as the missiles are in the most obscure places possible... 

Personally, I seriously doubt the legitimacy of the rumors (though they are listed on half a dozen sites, it's all from some random...), and also have mixed feelings about those sets (the "12.99" sounds very boring. Galadriel would be nice, but lame otherwise). If those ARe real though, I would still expect 1-3 more sets (limited edition, exlusives, ect. all take a few more months to be known. - with star wars at least...). Anyway, the things I see that MUST be made (to finish up what we're missing I mean) are;

- Sets for Gondor and Pelennor Fields. No doubt about it. This is why I see the 40$ rumored set as most likely. That, some replica of Gondor, and maybe a set with a war elephant would complete the minimum IMO.

- Faramir. If there is an Osgiliath set (I really hope so), he is a must. We need him to go with Boromir...

- Sauron, and his tower. Should be very similar to Saruman's, but with different coloring of course. This would be amazing IMO. EVERY fan (of LOTR+LEGO at least...esp. Adult) would want "The Two Towers" together. BEST. Coffee. table. display. ever! And a Sauron minifig, if they do his justice, would be insane.

^ Yup, switched into speculation/fanboy mode. That would cover everything missing from first 2 releases (bar the more obsure characters...Denethor, or Wormtonge [lol]).

...But if that didn't work out, a Mount Doom with flick fire missiles would work OK... As long as the missiles are in the most obscure places possible... 

Grima Wormtongue is in the Tower of Orthanc set, so he's covered.  I could really care less if they make Denethor, as he doesn't really add much to the film outside of jumping to his death after trying to kill Faramir.