NEW FEATURE: LEGO LOT CALCULATOR

Here is something I have wanted to put together for some time.  Working on Brick Classifieds, I realized I had already made a few bits of code that will work well for finding out the value of some of these listings we find on eBay and Craigslist.  Is this eBay listing really worth $1799?  Go ahead, try out the new tool and find out.  I think you will find that it is overpriced!!  Use the tool to make people offers on their lots.  Send them to the site so they can find out for themselves.

It's Very Simple to Use!!!

I worked it out so that for many of the listings, you can just paste in their list of set numbers and set titles.  When you hit the "Process Sets" button, you will see that it will strip out the text and process the set numbers it finds.  It will allow you to remove or change listings if some are not correct.  It will also identify left over numbers that it can't match to a set.  In most cases this could be the numbers that are for quanity or soemthing else.  Just ignore and hit the "Get Set Values" button at the bottom.

Here is where you will get all the sets in that lot with their current values and lot total.  You can change the condition from "New" to "Used" and also update the quantity of each set.  It will automatically change the totals on the fly.

You need to be a member to use this feature, so please log in and go to the tool.  Like I mentioned earlier, this could be a tool for negotiating better deals bundles/lots.  It's also a good tool to just find out the value on a few sets quickly.  Right now it defaults to the US values, but there is a option to change to the other 3 regions to see what the sets are valued at in the UK, EU and AUS

Let me know what you think, any enhancements that may make it better or any bugs you run into.  Hopefully you find it usefully.  I know I have used it to talk to a few sellers already.  A link to this tool can be found in the Tools and Data menu on the main site.

Here is a quick video so that you can see how it works!

lego_lot_calc.jpg

• Like 1

I noticed it's limited by the Post parameters length. Leave it to a programmer to test the robustness of a webpage. :D

Using this ebay post for instance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-lot-EVERYTHING-approx-800-lbs-star-wars-harry-potter-knights-pirates-/181244465724?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2a3303123c

Check out this thread:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/6330-anyone-want-a-real-challenge/#entry175876

I just input all the numbers in, got rid of the "x2s", etc., and then cut and pasted half of the numbers into a second open window.  Lot value came to $22k $14k without the Bionicle or MegaBloks, and assumed only one of each set number.

I noticed it's limited by the Post parameters length. Leave it to a programmer to test the robustness of a webpage. :D

Using this ebay post for instance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-lot-EVERYTHING-approx-800-lbs-star-wars-harry-potter-knights-pirates-/181244465724?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2a3303123c

I increased the limit to handle more, but I am not making it unlimited. I thought 250 would have been enough.

Great tool and very easy to use!  

Now the next step would be for the tool to allow you to enter what you actually paid for the lot and then allocate the total cost to each set based on its % of total value automatically.  Pretty soon, you'll put all our fancy spreadsheets to shame!  :thumbsup:

Great tool and very easy to use!  

Now the next step would be for the tool to allow you to enter what you actually paid for the lot and then allocate the total cost to each set based on its % of total value automatically.  Pretty soon, you'll put all our fancy spreadsheets to shame!  :thumbsup:

Well if you can give me an example of how this would work the best, then I can look into adding something like that. What is the proper way (equation) split up the sets?

Guest eightbrick

Well if you can give me an example of how this would work the best, then I can look into adding something like that. What is the proper way (equation) split up the sets?

You could do it by MSRP or pieces I guess. Or by current value. Then just add them together, percentile them and apply that percent to the value paid.

For Example for current value, let's say you bought three new in box Batman (1) sets, 7884 Batman's Buggy, 7885 Robin's Scuba Jet, and 7888 The Tumbler. You paid 200 bucks total (what a steal!):

Price You Paid: $200

Value of 7884: $117.73 (25.915%)

Value of 7885: $138.67 (30.525%)

Value of 7888: $197.89 (43.560%)

Subtotal: 454.29

Apply to $200 Price Paid [(200)PercentValue]:

7884: $51.83

7885: $61.05

7888: $87.12

You could also do that by MSRP or Used Value or Piece Count. I think this is what they were suggesting.