10233 - Horizon Express

fxdl96

I take it you build the trains you buy? I plan on buying some trains but just to invest in, 10233 looks pretty cool!

I wish I could buy trains just to invest in, it'd be a lot cheaper but it's way too much fun building them, then laying out the tracks, etc. So I usually pick up one to build, and one to invest in. Stephen you need to start building trains, they help to make amazing train layout's under/around the Christmas tree when the holidays come around. I'm currently working on a pretty sweet town and train MOC to layout at my Grandmother's house this Christmas, the relatives who no nothing about Lego should be impressed. Sorry I know I'm getting way off topic, just love me some Lego trains ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I just looked at the details of the Horizon Express on Lego's site and I really like it! The Horizon Express might finally convince me to upgrade to a power function train. Mostly all I have are 9 volt trains and I still have plenty of unopened 9v track (and trains!). I do have most of one power function train and track because it was mixed in with a bulk lego purchase. I am still very unhappy about the train track. We should be able to purchase straight and curved track separately. The flexible track has only limited use.

I wish I could buy trains just to invest in, it'd be a lot cheaper but it's way too much fun building them, then laying out the tracks, etc. So I usually pick up one to build, and one to invest in. Stephen you need to start building trains, they help to make amazing train layout's under/around the Christmas tree when the holidays come around. I'm currently working on a pretty sweet town and train MOC to layout at my Grandmother's house this Christmas, the relatives who no nothing about Lego should be impressed. Sorry I know I'm getting way off topic, just love me some Lego trains ;)

I dont know how I just now saw this post Rich! I really want to start building something just dont know what yet lol

I cant wait to get my hands on the new 10233 Horizon Express : http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=10233-1.

I love my 10219 Maersk Train but I find it uses too many stickers. The new 10233 doesnt look like it relies as much on stickers as the Maersk train does, wich is a really good thing to me because I hate stickers!

I hate stickers as well. They should just print on the bricks themselves. But as always, it's not cost effective to print on the bricks.

I hate stickers as well. They should just print on the bricks themselves. But as always, it's not cost effective to print on the bricks.you mean it would take away from their profits!Yep...Years ago, LEGO never used stickers. Bricks were stamped with the letters, numbers or designs. These new stickers are hard to apply and peel over time. Not a big fan.

I dont know how I just now saw this post Rich! I really want to start building something just dont know what yet lol

You should build something man! I mean afterall that is what Lego bricks are for, building! :) You should build a city/town/train layout or some sort of Star Wars MOC

Good god, I hate stickers WITH A VENGENCE!!!! I'm trying to remember when the 'sticker craze' started. I still can't believe what LEGO did with the Ferrari license. The sets were good, but you had to use stickers for everything! Even the minifigs! Wait a minute.... LEGO lands a license agreement with a company like Ferrari, and they decide to half-ass the sets with bloody stickers?! Good way to honor the deal there, guys. Jeeze....

Ah well, the one good thing that comes from this is, since many of the pieces do not have any kind of printing, it makes MOC'ing easier. Try building a western saloon or 1950's street machine and the piece you need says "The Krusty Krab". Not fun.

....What was this thread about again? Oh right.

I look forward to the "Horizon Express" about as much as the next guy, and the other CREATOR sets as well, actually. I've really been getting into them recently. They are better when you're holding the completed design in hand, plus each set has a nice selection of good parts in varying colors.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw this set recently built in the Lego Store. It was much larger than I would have thought. Thinking about getting it some time this year. Just thought I would add the size comment to this thread. Its BIG!

I was also concerned that the cars looked too similar from the outside. But I liked the details inside the cars when I saw them in person. Going to pick one up as well, probably waiting for the double VIP or a good promotion...

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone built 2 of these and connected them to make one big train, and then tried powering it up with Power Functions? I want to build 2 of these eventually to make one long train and I'm wondering if 1 Power Function Motor can handle pulling it all or if I'll need 2 separate Power Function motors? I know this set is relatively new and a lot of you may not own it yet, much less own 2 connected together with Power Functions, but I figured I'd ask. Where my train heads at?!

I've built two Horizon Express sets, good fun :) I found that with one Power Functions motor, the train had a hard time getting started, particularly if it was on a curved section (or worse, flexi track). I could have motorised both ends, but I didn't want a situation where they got out of sync due to one end not receiving the IR signal properly, so instead I added a second motor to the same end that already had the motor and battery (I used a short PF extension cable so that the doubled-up power connectors could be tucked inside the train instead of being visible from the top). This also has the benefit that you don't need another IR receiver or battery. If you decide to go this way, you'll need a couple of extra of "decorative side" pieces for the motor since the bogie that the motor replaces doesn't include those pieces. It works much better now for me, much easier to start. I did find I have to be a bit more particular about making sure the magnets connect properly; you can also use a black 1x2 plate or tile to "permanently" connect the couplings so that the magnets aren't a factor.

I've built two Horizon Express sets, good fun :) I found that with one Power Functions motor, the train had a hard time getting started, particularly if it was on a curved section (or worse, flexi track).

I could have motorised both ends, but I didn't want a situation where they got out of sync due to one end not receiving the IR signal properly, so instead I added a second motor to the same end that already had the motor and battery (I used a short PF extension cable so that the doubled-up power connectors could be tucked inside the train instead of being visible from the top). This also has the benefit that you don't need another IR receiver or battery.

If you decide to go this way, you'll need a couple of extra of "decorative side" pieces for the motor since the bogie that the motor replaces doesn't include those pieces.

It works much better now for me, much easier to start. I did find I have to be a bit more particular about making sure the magnets connect properly; you can also use a black 1x2 plate or tile to "permanently" connect the couplings so that the magnets aren't a factor.

Awesome, thank you for the feedback, this information definitely helps!! Why was there an issue with the way the magnets were connecting? Or were they not connecting well due to the extra train cars, which in turn leads to extra overall weight being pulled from one train car to the next?

Awesome, thank you for the feedback, this information definitely helps!! Why was there an issue with the way the magnets were connecting? Or were they not connecting well due to the extra train cars, which in turn leads to extra overall weight being pulled from one train car to the next?

The problem was that the engine with two motors had enough pull that if the magnets weren't aligned to give the best connection, it would go rogue and speed off by itself! :D

It wasn't so much that the magnets weren't connecting at all. Apparently they rotate within their capsule to get best alignment, and sometimes get stuck, which gives a weak connection (tapping them is reported to help).

When the connection is "right" the magnets are strong enough to keep the engine under control.

The problem was that the engine with two motors had enough pull that if the magnets weren't aligned to give the best connection, it would go rogue and speed off by itself! :D

It wasn't so much that the magnets weren't connecting at all. Apparently they rotate within their capsule to get best alignment, and sometimes get stuck, which gives a weak connection (tapping them is reported to help).

When the connection is "right" the magnets are strong enough to keep the engine under control.

I see what you mean, thanks for the quick reply! :)

• 1 month later...
Guest ph4tb0i

@ Target. Possibly stack with 5% redcard for cheaper? http://www.target.com/p/lego-creator-horizon-express-10233/-/A-14461072#prodSlot=medium_1_18&term=lego