10233 - Horizon Express

fxdl96

Guest TabbyBoy

It's a shame that Amazon have it for RRP+ so, I'd go to LEGO Shop at Home if I was to buy one (for VIP points and promo).  Since, it's early life and only "half a train", I'm in no rush to pick one up just yet.

Amazon had a sale last May 30th for $101.04. It was released not even a yr ago so wait for a similar discount. It was the same day as other great sales. I was able to pickup 2

Looking back, I was like... how could I totally miss that day!!! Maybe coz I did not join the forum back then. :(

• 2 weeks later...

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Horizon-Express-Kit-5003540?fromListing=listing

too bad about the high price and excluding track. this set looks to be a winner especially if it stays as a true lego exclusive.

while people love buying lego trains, they like it better buying everything at once (power functions, track, the train, etc...)

post-3743-0-52892500-1386023454_thumb.jp

Edited by jaisonline
merged

will431, the train is going to be roughly $129 whether you buy it in the kit or not.  You can still power the regular $129 HE with the same elements they use in the kit, and it's going to end up costing you roughly the same buying it all separate as it would buying it altogether in the kit.  It's no different than the Maersk or Emerald Night trains.

Understood....I guess what I don't understand is his the new passenger and cargo trains come with power for so cheap..as compared to this one.

Put simpler...if I bought a horizon for 129 and a passenger for 85 (uk deal...could I simply take the power items from the passenger set, throw the train in the trash---and them to a regular horizon--and still be cheaper than this powered horizon set? Or are the power parts not the same?

Understood....I guess what I don't understand is his the new passenger and cargo trains come with power for so cheap..as compared to this one.

Put simpler...if I bought a horizon for 129 and a passenger for 85 (uk deal...could I simply take the power items from the passenger set, throw the train in the trash---and them to a regular horizon--and still be cheaper than this powered horizon set? Or are the power parts not the same?

One of the big differences is that the regular trains come with a 6 AAA battery box (http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=88000-1) vs the kit as described comes with the LI-ION rechargeable battery box (http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=8878-1). And yes, the transformer to charge that battery box is extra (http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=8887-1).

$13 vs $75

• Like 2

I remember seeing this Horizon Express Kit available shortly after the original set was. Pricy as heck but we do love our trains, don't we? :)

We do love out trains. Reminds me of a friend who is a train enthusiast who like Lego sets, and has a lot of model trains but not one Lego train.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question.  What is your general feel on Horizon express set.  Is it here to stay for a usual life cycle or is it a seasonal  set that will dissapear very soon? Also would you buy an exclusive version of the set complete with power functions or would wait and see how well it appreciates and then add PF functions at a later date when it's time to sell.  I am not sure if  exclusive versions are specially packed somehow or if it's just a set with separate boxes for PFs.  If it is the latter then it makes sense to buy the train itself and see how well it appreciates and then add PF separately.

The 50035405 set is nice and will be rare. However, it is expensive to not really include track. I estimated about $110-$115 of PFs are included for the extra $125 retail price. That $50 rechargeable 8878 rechargeable pack is brutal. I rather throw in 6 of my own rechargeable AAAs using item 88000

Personally, I would rather stick with the regular one. I doubt the difference will be as great as the 10132 motorized 9v Hogwarts compared to the regular one. 10132 came with everything you needed to build and get started.

Here is a picture of all items and prices. It isn't showing part 88000 which is the $13 version of 8878.

post-3743-0-06597500-1387402467_thumb.jp

Regarding the Winter Cottage, I drove 35 miles each way to buy 3 sets today, that is how much I believe in set 10229.

Granted, the first 3 Winter sets were about $65 each at retail but were smaller. These sets already fetch $140+ each on eBay and bricklink. I have them all except the Bakery because I was sleeping during Nov 2012. 10229 is the first $99 one and might be the best looking of the bunch to-date. Anyway, I would bet lego sold a ton more 10229s than the prev 3 but like the module buildings, people will want to complete a set and will ultimately shell out more cash for a larger set because like m they missed 1 in the set.

Btw, more people should be thinking of these annual Winter sets like the building modulars but with a smaller annual cost (once they catch-up) and less are produced since they are seasonal.