LEGO Events

TheOrcKing

It all depends on the store. When my son was 4, the lego store closest to our home, refused to let him build it. He was with his older brother waiting in line. The store employee said it would be unfair for the other kids behind us. I am not sure how it would be fair to my son who also had been waiting in line but could not get one to build while his brother could. My younger son has been building lego since he was 2, and does not need any help to build any of those mini-models. What worse was, while at the table building, the employees would happily give the mini-model for ADULTS who asked for it, to take home. But they refused to let my 4 years old to build it! since then we have been going to another lego store, which is super friendly. They will happily let any one who wants to build it to build it including me :-)

It all depends on the store. When my son was 4, the lego store closest to our home, refused to let him build it. He was with his older brother waiting in line. The store employee said it would be unfair for the other kids behind us. I am not sure how it would be fair to my son who also had been waiting in line but could not get one to build while his brother could. My younger son has been building lego since he was 2, and does not need any help to build any of those mini-models. What worse was, while at the table building, the employees would happily give the mini-model for ADULTS who asked for it, to take home. But they refused to let my 4 years old to build it! since then we have been going to another lego store, which is super friendly. They will happily let any one who wants to build it to build it including me :-)

Yeah, I feel like that age restriction thing is pretty messed up. My daughter can build the mini-models but isn't 6 yet. Our store is friendly and hasn't said anything about her age (just turned 5) but its pretty silly to tell a 4 year old they aren't welcome but then hand an AFOL a polybag. I would've been pissed if our store did that.

Leaving now---he wasn't the youngest to be handed a mode to build---must be certain stores.  This was braintree MA---perfect experience--in and out fast---with the free model, 2 more funhouse esacpes, 2 more orc forge, and a LR teepee to build--made 2 seperate purchases--got seperate extra Jor-els.

The store closest to our home asked the kids (those who are young) how old they are, and if they are under 6, they won't get a set. It could be just that one time. We had been going there for a year without an issue, until the staff started asking the kids how old they are. I was not the only unhappy parents there that day. I wrote a complaint to Lego but I have not been back for the mini-build, I do not want to take the risk. The other lego store has been doing well for us, much shorter line, friendlier staff and most the kids are very young kids.

Another problem I have with that one lego store which is closer to us, is one of the employees will pack the display in grab bag for himself to buy. While waiting in line, he talked about the best deal is to buy the grab bag, and he continued to talk about how he put all the pieces of Ninjago Fire Temple in one bag and bought it himself. I am not sure how that can be good deal for general consumers when the employees pack the display they took down into grab bag for themselves to buy.

The best grab bags I have ever bought were Hero Factory grab bags after the last Hero Factory event, got more loose pieces for my sons to make their own hero and villains. Otherwise, what left for general consumers to buy is loose pieces from the pick a brick wall.

The store closest to our home asked the kids (those who are young) how old they are, and if they are under 6, they won't get a set. It could be just that one time. We had been going there for a year without an issue, until the staff started asking the kids how old they are. I was not the only unhappy parents there that day. I wrote a complaint to Lego but I have not been back for the mini-build, I do not want to take the risk. The other lego store has been doing well for us, much shorter line, friendlier staff and most the kids are very young kids.

Another problem I have with that one lego store which is closer to us, is one of the employees will pack the display in grab bag for himself to buy. While waiting in line, he talked about the best deal is to buy the grab bag, and he continued to talk about how he put all the pieces of Ninjago Fire Temple in one bag and bought it himself. I am not sure how that can be good deal for general consumers when the employees pack the display they took down into grab bag for themselves to buy.

The best grab bags I have ever bought were Hero Factory grab bags after the last Hero Factory event, got more loose pieces for my sons to make their own hero and villains. Otherwise, what left for general consumers to buy is loose pieces from the pick a brick wall.

Sorry to hear all of that. I'm glad my store isn't like that, and it sounds like the one you are talking about is very poorly managed. The employee who did that with the grab bag - I would expect that from most store employees I guess but the fact that he talked about it openly was pretty ridiculous and shows a serious lack of discipline.

• 1 month later...

(Yes, it's happening today!)

Here's more details:

==

Build and Decorate a LEGO Friends Jewelry Box

Thursday, August 1

Visit your local LEGO Store to build and decorate your own LEGO Friends Jewelry Box and take it home - for free! Event begins at 5 pm. Quantities are limited to approximately 250 per store and offer is good while supplies last only. Models are not for sale and cannot be purchased. One free per child. Event is open to children ages 6-14 only. 

==

Anyone planning to go? It's strictly BYOK (Bring/Borrow Your Own Kid). I'm going to try to take mine, but there is no way she's going to let me keep the kit afterwards for "investment" purposes. :)

If you have experience selling exclusives from LEGO Store events, I'm curious to hear about it!

Here's a pic of the Jewelry Box from the LEGO Store calendar:

P.S. Looking closer at the Jewelry Box, I do see some exclusive pieces on there:

- There's the Red Ladybugs, which are only found in Olivia's House and Olivia's Treehouse. (There's Yellow Ladybugs too in 3 other Friends sets: Heartlake City Pool, HL Vet, and the Summer Riding Camp.)

- And there's the LF Logo tile, which may or may not be the same as this one.

Thoughts: Neither of the above pieces are in high demand on BrickLink. If you buy Olivia's House or Treehouse, the Red Ladybugs come in one of those perforated mini bags with a bunch of other accessories like butterflies and different types of flowers, and at the moment it seems like the flowers are more in demand than the bugs are.

Also, there's not much play value in a jewelry box. An event exclusive like the TRU Wishing Well from last March at least can fit into a "scene".

P.P.S. Here's a pic of the Wishing Well with Emma next to it holding a popsicle:

Edited by wholovesboo
  • Like 1

How strict are they on the age limits?  I have a 4 year old that likes playing with the little Legos not just the Duplo or Megablocks.

My daughter is 3, and she built and took hom the grill on Monday (with the help of my wife, of course).  We're taking her back tonight for the jewelry box.

Here's a pic of the Jewelry Box from the LEGO Store calendar:

P.S. Looking closer at the Jewelry Box, I do see some exclusive pieces on there:

- There's the Red Ladybugs, which are only found in Olivia's House and Olivia's Treehouse. (There's Yellow Ladybugs too in 3 other Friends sets: Heartlake City Pool, HL Vet, and the Summer Riding Camp.)

- And there's the LF Logo tile, which may or may not be the same as this one.

Thoughts: Neither of the above pieces are in high demand on BrickLink. If you buy Olivia's House or Treehouse, the Red Ladybugs come in one of those perforated mini bags with a bunch of other accessories like butterflies and different types of flowers, and at the moment it seems like the flowers are more in demand than the bugs are.

Also, there's not much play value in a jewelry box. An event exclusive like the TRU Wishing Well from last March at least can fit into a "scene".

P.P.S. Here's a pic of the Wishing Well with Emma next to it holding a popsicle:

Great post, wholovesboo! You certainly did your research. :thumbsup:

To add, I believe that Lego Friends Logo tile on the Jewelry Box is the same as the one in the link for the Friends Pencil Holder. Good catch.

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up, TRU Canada will be doing their annual Bricktober event and the info has been announced on their website. Check out the link here.

Doesn`t look like their are any major promotions, but I am curious about the Vintage Minfigure set. Anyone have an idea as to what will be included (assuming the info/pictures are elsewhere and I just can`t find them). Sadly there aren`t any on the TRU.ca site that I could find. May have to venture in store to find out. 

I'm not sure if the exact figures are known yet, but it will likely be very similar to the images below with one or two of the minifigures changed.  The top picture was the Vintage Minifigure Collection Vol. 1 given away by TRU in 2012.  The bottom one was the original version sold by LEGO stores in 2008.  In 2012 TRU gave away a different volume each of 4 weeks.

post-319-0-05979900-1380128076_thumb.jpg

post-319-0-95217300-1380128126_thumb.jpg

Guest eightbrick

In Canada they are free with $75 worth of purchases I believe (which make sense given that a 60 dollar USD set retails for 75 here). Pretty lame pickings this year, in my opinion. They aren't even remotely vintage.