Friends Character Encyclopedia 2014

wholovesboo

The Electro Batmans from the Batman Visual Dictionary go for between $9-12 with BIN, less for auctions.  I have no doubt that will rise when the book is out of print.

I am thoroughly confused about mini-doll selling though.  It looks to me like the more expensive sets have mini-dolls that sell for more money (a lot more if I'm to believe what I'm seeing from the Dolphin Cruiser), yet it doesn't look like the mini-dolls sell as well as some of the newer licensed minfigs from SW, LOTR, etc.  Is this accurate?

The Electro Batmans from the Batman Visual Dictionary go for between $9-12 with BIN, less for auctions.  I have no doubt that will rise when the book is out of print.

I am thoroughly confused about mini-doll selling though.  It looks to me like the more expensive sets have mini-dolls that sell for more money (a lot more if I'm to believe what I'm seeing from the Dolphin Cruiser), yet it doesn't look like the mini-dolls sell as well as some of the newer licensed minfigs from SW, LOTR, etc.  Is this accurate?

How much are the Dolphin Cruiser mini-dolls going for? Is this for all 3 dolls or just a boy doll for instance?

I'm really puzzled by any apparent collectibility of the Friends mini-dolls, because frankly there isn't much variation. For a toy aimed at girls, little effort has been put into the outfits. Changing Olivia's tiered skirt to a non-tiered skirt isn't doing much for the character, IMO. Loose mini-dolls I've seen on eBay tend to be sold in huge lots, giving me the impression that there's not much demand for one over the other. I mean, if the characters had bathing suit versions, or there was a cute school uniform (It looks like Stephanie is wearing one at the High School, but then her classmate Matthew isn't wearing a boy version) or something, I could see there being some value in collecting loose mini-dolls. I mean, I guess you could collect a bunch of loose Stephanies from Heartlake High so you could have a school uniform for each of the girls and they could all go to school together...

How much are the Dolphin Cruiser mini-dolls going for? Is this for all 3 dolls or just a boy doll for instance?

I'm really puzzled by any apparent collectibility of the Friends mini-dolls, because frankly there isn't much variation. For a toy aimed at girls, little effort has been put into the outfits. Changing Olivia's tiered skirt to a non-tiered skirt isn't doing much for the character, IMO. Loose mini-dolls I've seen on eBay tend to be sold in huge lots, giving me the impression that there's not much demand for one over the other. I mean, if the characters had bathing suit versions, or there was a cute school uniform (It looks like Stephanie is wearing one at the High School, but then her classmate Matthew isn't wearing a boy version) or something, I could see there being some value in collecting loose mini-dolls. I mean, I guess you could collect a bunch of loose Stephanies from Heartlake High so you could have a school uniform for each of the girls and they could all go to school together...

It is a public school so no uniforms :P

Each dolphin is selling for around $10 (although that's dropping), one Mia has sold for a shade under $10, and Maya and Andrew have sold for between $14-15.  The risk is that these appear to sell slowly, so you may not get even these prices if you decide to part the set out.  I haven't seen a sold price on the boat, so I'm not sure what it would sell for.

• 2 months later...

There's a DK Friends Character Encyclopedia coming this way in June 2014. Can't imagine it being a particularly thick book. Though it sounds like there will be an inventory of the sets which would be nice!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lego-friends-character-encyclopedia-catherine-saunders/1117006750?ean=9781465418944&isbn=9781465418944

Well, it appears that Amazon also has a listing for this upcoming Friends Character Encyclopedia as well. Preorder now and you can save 33% or wait until it is actually available later on and save the same amount I'm sure as Amazon always seems to have pretty good book sales.

Yeah the price will prob stay below retail on Amz even after release. BN.com usually lowers its price to match.

Yeah I'm wondering about the minifig too. A new outfit would be nice!

• 1 month later...

Hey, hey! Barnes & Noble plus Amazon finally have an image up for this future Friends book and states it should be available by June 30th. :) Still nothing as to who the exclusive minidoll will be though. :( At this point I am taking a wild guess with our exclusive girl either being Stephanie or Emma.

9781465418944_p0_v1_s600.JPG

Hey, hey! Barnes & Noble plus Amazon finally have an image up for this future Friends book and states it should be available by June 30th. :) Still nothing as to who the exclusive minidoll will be though. :( At this point I am taking a wild guess with our exclusive girl either being Stephanie or Emma.

Thanks for posting!

I'm curious about the mysterious minifig too. And the exclusive accessories! I'm guessing a new hairbow :)

Thanks for posting!

I'm curious about the mysterious minifig too. And the exclusive accessories! I'm guessing a new hairbow :)

The minifig section is interesting. At first glance it looks like it would include a large accessory, but I think it might just be a bunch of accessories spread out over that area.

There is a lot of glitter effect on that cover - So it might be trans clear accessories with glitter (which would be great).

I have to laugh that they're doing a character encyclopedia. Is it going to be like 5 pages? There aren't that many friends characters!

I have to agree. There are more animals than characters in that line. Maybe we'll just get an inventory of every tank top/skirt iteration.

The minifig section is interesting. At first glance it looks like it would include a large accessory, but I think it might just be a bunch of accessories spread out over that area.

There is a lot of glitter effect on that cover - So it might be trans clear accessories with glitter (which would be great).

I noticed the glitter too. Trans glitter accessories would be neat. Even better a glitter bike or Vespa or something...

I have to laugh that they're doing a character encyclopedia. Is it going to be like 5 pages? There aren't that many friends characters!

This was my exact thought, there's 5 main characters.  I guess if they can do it with Ninjago they can do it with Friends, any way to make some money.

I don't know why they are calling the book a Character Encyclopedia really since it is supposed to be a complete listing of all the sets, polybags, collectables, as well as characters from when the theme started in 2012 all the way to the end of 2013 at least. I remember seeing a couple of preview pages somewhere on Flickr and it looks nice enough thus far.

• 3 weeks later...

Still nothing as certain to who the exclusive mini-doll will be :ireful: but we finally do have a silhouetted image here from this shot. My best guess going by the shape of the hairstyle would be Stephanie which kind of seems to fit. I mean, she does come off as the main girl among them in the line.

10964624196_680fa54ef7_o.png

• 1 month later...