How will the new Hulk Lab Smash affect Hulk Helicarrier Breakout?

icephoenix181

I had ten of these I bought at $36 each during Walmart summer clearance. I had them listed over the holiday season at $90 ($80 plus $10 shipping). I didn't sell a single one. Over the past week however, after the holiday season has come and gone, I have sold all ten of them at the same asking price. Weird, right? After fees and shipping I made a profit of $30-$33 on each one. Not too bad for only holding them for four months. I wanted to wash my hands of them as soon as possible, before the new hulk comes out. I remember leaving several on the shelf at $36 because I wasn't too keen on this set and was happy with only ten. Oh well. I can't complain.

• 2 months later...

I still have 3 6868's left. I think the magic is gone now with the new one out. So I guess I have to hide them in my closet for a year or three and see where they are at that point of time.

The movie tie-in could well be the secret to this sets profits. I'm guessing a few investors might be dumping these as a result of the Hulk Lab Smash. But with the possibility of a chain of Avenger movies released over the next few years, and with its huge fan base I can only imagine Avengers Movie tie-in sets will be hugely desirable amongst collectors a few years from now.

If it was me with 3 Hellicarriers, I'd sit tight on them for a few years

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I sold all but one of my Helicarrier sets and I also kept one Captain America Avenging Cycle.  I'm still debating if I should sell all of my Wolverine Chopper sets.  I've had a few listed for $60 w/ free shipping for about a week, but no takers so far.  I sold 3 previously for $55.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just sold my last Hulk Helicarrier Breakout for $125 after fees and shipping - damn good ROI...at times I thought I bought too many than naturally as sales picked up it's like I should of bought more.  Was happy to let this last one go...brown or purple pants didn't really matter to me.  I do like the new set better and still waiting for a great sale to buy one.  Who knows if and how much higher 6868 set can go...maybe $125 will look like a steal in 2-4yrs as crustybeaver is predicting.  I'm ok with taking some profits and moving on.

Just sold my last Hulk Helicarrier Breakout for $125 after fees and shipping - damn good ROI...at times I thought I bought too many than naturally as sales picked up it's like I should of bought more.  Was happy to let this last one go...brown or purple pants didn't really matter to me.  I do like the new set better and still waiting for a great sale to buy one.  Who knows if and how much higher 6868 set can go...maybe $125 will look like a steal in 2-4yrs as crustybeaver is predicting.  I'm ok with taking some profits and moving on.

Nice! This set has done crazy well in such a short period of time, definitely one I`m certain everyone wishes they had some (or more) of. Not sure the ceiling could be exactly given the already large growth, but I`d guess somewhere between $150-$200 before people stop seeing the value in spending more. $125 now is easily worth it as opposed to waiting, it`ll probably go up slow now then maybe spike a bit at Christmas, but you could make more money elsewhere in that time, so good choice to anyone who`s sold already or looking at doing so. Did you have a bunch of them weakside?

@rtisan, I had a small stash...last yr was my first yr investing so I picked up 4 on sale at Target I remember (should of gone the distance and hit 2-3 more stores!) and than 10 more at only 20% off CAN retail but by than I saw the demand and inflating prices so even at retail you could of made decent roi.

Looking at my ledger/summary sheet, 6868 made me some nice coin to supplement my collection/inventory for sure.  Definite winner - thanks Hulk :)

Personally, I'm not a hardcore fan or a kid so I'll take the Smash Lab at $60 any day vs up to $125 on secondary market for Breakout.  

Do you think the new hulk lab smash is a better set? I was trying to decide whether to buy this or the joker steam roller since they are both the same price. The lab part of the set doesn't look that great displayed?

I agree, the lab part doesn't look like much fun to play with...but the minifigs is what's driving this set.  You get 5 and some are unique I believe.  

The Joker Steam Roller is awesome, I'm still waiting of course for a good sale but set looks like a winner to me.  I won't be shy loading up on it when the time is right.  

If I only had $60 to decide between the two...I would pick the steamroller for play and investment value.  just my 2cents.      

Yes the sale is 20% off select sets (all the newer superheroes). Cineplex had a $15 off $60 coupon on the box of thw kids combo earlier in the year. I combined it with a capt america vs hydra at 19.97 to get me over the $60 mark ($67ish). The smaller spiderman and electro set would have brought me closer to $60 but I figure the larger set would sell better in the future.