10237 - Tower of Orthanc

Anytime the forums get slow and people start to talk about sets and build some hype everyone will start buying those sets until it's out of stock, purchase metrics prove it.  Happened with HH, GE, and recently a near ice cold TH, it will happen with the Tower Orthanc also.  There will be buyers of this set for a long time coming, but there won't be nearly as many overall as there are for the modulars and others lines.  This set is like Helms Deep, it will continue to grow slowly for a long time because they won't make it again, but it all depends upon if you want to hold it that long.

Edited by JRandall

Anytime the forums get slow and people start to talk about sets and build some hype everyone will start buying those sets until it's out of stock, purchase metrics prove it. Happened with HH, GE, and recently a near ice cold TH, it will happen with the Tower Orthanc also. There will be buyers of this set for a long time coming, but there won't be nearly as many overall as there are for the modulars and others lines. This set is like Helms Deep, it will continue to grow slowly for a long time because they won't make it again, but it all depends upon if you want to hold it that long.

We should do a run on Architecture Studio...

Thanks to a fellow BP'er, who is surely to read this, I am very bullish on ToO.

Math time.

Licensed

X

Outstanding build

X

Never to be reproduced

X

A top literary work of all-time=

$.

I appreciate those who think this set is "fair" as an investment, as it only strengthens the case for those that see its true potential.

Tolkien's work was produced during the 40's. It will never be remade; it will never be matched; an entire literary genre was spurned from it. If you enjoy Game of Thrones, Robert Jordan, R.A. Salvatore, or any other author of the fantasy genre, thank Tolkien for lighting the fire.

This is an epic, iconic, once-in-an-investor's-lifetime set, and will always, always, always have an interested audience.

• Like 4

Tolkien's work was produced during the 40's. It will never be remade; it will never be matched; an entire literary genre was spurned from it. If you enjoy Game of Thrones, Robert Jordan, R.A. Salvatore, or any other author of the fantasy genre, thank Tolkien for lighting the fire.

and don't forget Terry Brooks and his Shannara series!

• Like 2

I'm very bullish on the set as well but if you want investors to ignore it and not stockpile it, the last thing I would do is post how great it is.

I could not disagree with you more.

The spirit of this board- and this forum- is to share perspectives and advice. People can do with it as they please. From what I have learned from this forum, or any of us, it's deserved. I would rather see ToO in the inventory of fellow BP'ers than anyone else.

I will reiterate my case for fellow BP'ers to be the ones owning what remains, now and in the near future, of ToO...

Mixels are fun, and can be very profitable with proper market timing. Same with the Harry Potter sets; though flattening now returns were very positive.

Seventy weeks, vs. seventy months, vs. seventy years of fan base. For the long-term investor, this set is only going one direction.

• Like 1

Another thought on this set...

The build is beautiful; the box sucks.

Lego should have used whatever box R2 is in for ToO; for every R2 box at a Lego store that had folds or creases, there are five ToO's that are damaged.

I am halfway through my acquisition goal so I can cherry-pick mint boxes; I do not know their condition for on-line orders, but based on the ratio of dinged boxes I have seen in stores, I have to assume it will be rough going on good boxes once this set is in the woods.

I'm guessing the Tower of Orthanc is not selling very well.

Reasons:

- LOTR fans are still young, they can't afford a $200 toy yet

- Most current AFOLs already passed the age when the LOTR movies were released

If this is correct, then ToO will likely ripe 3 to 4 years from now when the LOTR generation mature into their mid-late 20s, early 30s, assuming the set's been retired by then (very likely). 

Edited by legone
  • Like 1

I would guess Lego has stopped production on this set.  Since there is no longer a lord of the rings line being produced because it wasn't popular enough there is no reason to continue producing this set.  I imagine they are going to sell off whatever they stock they have left and call it a day.

• Like 1

I agree... When you look at the Monster Fighters Theme. The 10228 HH retired about a year after the theme. So I guess we can expect the same on this one. One day it is gone in 60 seconds.

I have a few LOTR sets with one of these and I like it as a set. It is marvelous. Just I do not like Lord of the Rings itself (movies, books, theme). Never had the patience to watch the movies cause to me they are boring.

So I keep the few sets I have and when I get fedd up with them I will sell them without regrets. Profit or not. It is just not my cup of tea.

I agree... When you look at the Monster Fighters Theme. The 10228 HH retired about a year after the theme. So I guess we can expect the same on this one. One day it is gone in 60 seconds.

I have a few LOTR sets with one of these and I like it as a set. It is marvelous. Just I do not like Lord of the Rings itself (movies, books, theme). Never had the patience to watch the movies cause to me they are boring.

So I keep the few sets I have and when I get fedd up with them I will sell them without regrets. Profit or not. It is just not my cup of tea.

Only comment I would make to this, is that investing is not buying.  You should invest in what you perceive people will want in the future based on the available marketplace and who is in it.  If you like the movies or not should not sway you either way. 

I'm guessing the Tower of Orthanc is not selling very well.

Reasons:

- LOTR fans are still young, they can't afford a $200 toy yet

- Most current AFOLs already passed the age when the LOTR movies were released

If this is correct, then ToO will likely ripe 3 to 4 years from now when the LOTR generation mature into their mid-late 20s, early 30s, assuming the set's been retired by then (very likely). 

LOTR fans are young?  LOTR came out 70 years ago, so I would argue that most fans are of the AFOL variety.

I would guess the main reason ToO isn't selling as well as it could is that the reason of the LEGO LOTR lineup isn't that strong.  I'm guessing there would be more ToO sold if the completionist faction was on board with the whole LOTR theme.

LOTR fans are young?  LOTR came out 70 years ago, so I would argue that most fans are of the AFOL variety.

I would guess the main reason ToO isn't selling as well as it could is that the reason of the LEGO LOTR lineup isn't that strong.  I'm guessing there would be more ToO sold if the completionist faction was on board with the whole LOTR theme.

No one actually knows whether or not this is selling well.  It has always been a limit two on lego.com since the beginning.  Selling volumes are utter speculation due to the simple fact that lego is not a public company and does not disclose that information.  If they every IPO I will be the first in line after my 90 day restriction.

I would guess Lego has stopped production on this set.  Since there is no longer a lord of the rings line being produced because it wasn't popular enough there is no reason to continue producing this set.  I imagine they are going to sell off whatever they stock they have left and call it a day.

Although we don't know for sure, it would be fairly likely that to assume the LOTR license has expired or expires at the end of 2014. It seems doubtful TLG would pay for the license and not release another wave of LOTR sets (this also assumes the Hobbit license is separate) in the spring/summer as past years. That is a huge telling point. We do know licenses are probably expensive and not acquired lightly, so to not release another wave is an indicator that perhaps all LOTR stock was produced that will ever be produced, possibly including ToO. It is also possible that the license expires this year, and that the backorder indicates a final run of ToO before the license expires. I'd expect TLG to make a fair amount though, to keep this set available for awhile. I doubt they will keep the LOTR license in 2015 if ToO is the only set they produce, though, so as long as there aren't more LOTR waves (no rumors that I know of) the Tower can't be produced forever. Better to get one or two now (One in double VIP, on on Black Friday), stay below the banhammer and hedge your bets. Probably not time to wipe out stock from other retailers where you won't get double VIP or bonus sets to sell.

• Like 1