9472 - Attack on Weathertop

There is already some speculation as to the shelf life of this set albeit a newer one. I was wondering what everyone thought about this set. It is somewhat overpriced being 430 pieces but msrp of $59.99 instead of $49.99. No other set however has the Ringwraiths yet nor does it look like any other set will so far. Merry is exclusive to the set and the Frodo contains an exclusive variation which I think is just his cape is different. Aragorn is in one other set. The horses are exclusive variations I believe. It is oos on Barnes and Noble.com (other sellers selling high), limit 1 per customer at Lego.com, and looks like Amazon itself isn't selling (other sellers not Amazon). I picked up 2 at my Walmart on clearance for $40 but saw another one the other day. Was considering getting it...

I saw about 20 of these on clearance at Walmart the other day but passed on them. Mainly because I already have 8 but I wish they were discounted a little more. I think they should make a decent return. Could take a little while though.

Nice... where was this? Out here in ****** Cal, we rarely see clearances like that.

I really think the minifigs carry it as an investment. The set itself isn't spectacular and is more of a playset. If it remains the only place to get ringwraiths it will do very well.

Pretty much what he said. The Ringwraiths are THE highlight of this set.

It is somewhat overpriced being 430 pieces but msrp of $59.99 instead of $49.99.

To me, this is what killed the set. At $50, I would have said "eh, okay", but $60? I don't think so. At $40 I would definately pick myself up one.

Pretty much what he said. The Ringwraiths are THE highlight of this set.

It is somewhat overpriced being 430 pieces but msrp of $59.99 instead of $49.99.

To me, this is what killed the set. At $50, I would have said "eh, okay", but $60? I don't think so. At $40 I would definately pick myself up one.

Yeah, I wouldn't have got it if it wasn't $40. I decided to go ahead and pick up the last one.

At some price point every set is an investment winner! When I purchase something I really like at 20-30% off like the Haunted House I feel great. Something I like marginally or I think is a marginal investment, meaning it won't appreciate a lot but might be better than average, then I want more like 40-50% off and I likely won't purchase as many. Weathertop is not an iconic set to me, but it does have the Ringwraiths so it is better than average. I do have two I bought at $38.10 including tax which is about 36.5% off.

If you are paying retail then I would say go with Orc Forge. It being an exclusive means not everyone will be vigilant enough to get it. Not everyone goes on the net to buy legos and not everyone will find a target with them in stock.

But if you get a really good deal on Weathertop then it is a toss up.

I second this.

Last year on the Friday before Black Friday, Lego had a 10% off sale for VIP members, plus free shipping, plus no tax (I moved to a state without a Lego store) plus I got the free Winter Holiday set which I sold for an average profit of $19.20 plus the 5% back in VIP points. I figure all in I got a little better than 24% off. However, now that Amazon has the Haunted House I do expect to see some sale prices at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know many people here were disappointed with the black gate set that is set to launch this year while the attack on weathertop has gotten a much warmer reception on average, but I just wanted to throw a little comparison out there between these two sets. First of all, the black gate is a more pivotal scene in the movie, as it is the place where the final battle of LOTR occurs, yes the battle of minas tirith was the main battle of the movie, but the Black gate was still a massive battle with a good deal of screen time. Secondly, the black gate includes the mouth of sauron, a very well done, highly exclusive minifig that I cannot imagine will ever be released in another set. Thirdly, the black gate includes Gwahir the eagle, a creature that may either be exclusive to this set, or at least extremely rare overall, this bird will be coveted for MOC'ers who want to include large birds in their creations, something that has been missing up to this point. Fourthly, there is a significant part count advantage to the black gate over attack on weathertop (.09c per brick vs .14c per brick) while I personally don't put a world of value into the raw part count as many set sets may include a lot of nearly worthless small pieces, I don't see these sets being in different categories here so I think this is a fair comparison As for the weathertop having advantages, I am a little at a loss for what those might be, but here could be a few 1. It is a first edition set, this could make it rarer and more valuable in the long run 2. The Nazgul may not be released in another set, I'd say this is remote, but still a factor; or if they are, they may not release more than one of them again. 3. Weathertop has better parts for MOC'ing, the greys and greens do lend themselves a bit better to valuable parts than the solid black of the gate, just a thought. Personally, I am excited about the black gate, what are your thoughts?

Both are disappointing and easily the worst sets that are above 30$ RRP.... Eagle is the worst thing and no way will that be rare... maybe this year, next year atleast 2 more sets will use the same mould and it wil lbe easy to get. But if we have to compare them on retail price basis. (lets for comparing sake say you bought both for investment on retail price) Black gates easily wins on equal ground (both 20% off both 30% off) But I expect in the long run we will get another set with: - Merry - Nazgul If both Nazgul and Merry remain exclusive to Weathertop then Weathertop might come close to performance of Black Gates on equal ground.