9472 - Attack on Weathertop

Both are disappointing and easily the worst sets that are above 30$ RRP....

Eagle is the worst thing and no way will that be rare... maybe this year, next year atleast 2 more sets will use the same mould and it wil lbe easy to get.

But if we have to compare them on retail price basis. (lets for comparing sake say you bought both for investment on retail price) Black gates easily wins on equal ground (both 20% off both 30% off)

But I expect in the long run we will get another set with:

- Merry

- Nazgul

If both Nazgul and Merry remain exclusive to Weathertop then Weathertop might come close to performance of Black Gates on equal ground.

Personally, I feel that all of the LOTR/Hobbit sets are fairly disappointing in many ways, even the proposed 28.75" tall tower of orthanc isn't all that spectacular. I would much prefer if it was around 40" tall as that would actually make it somewhat impressive. That being said, my general expectations for these sets are fairly low and I tend to hold them all to that standard. I don't know if this is entirely Lego's fault as they need to stick to certain price points and recreating the massive movie scenes is quite a challenge with those constraints. However, I do really like LOTR and these shortcomings really aren't going to keep me from getting excited about them.

I can't say I view these as the worst sets by any means, there are several I would hand that title over to before these. They certainly aren't the best either though, as they are neither exceptionally well designed nor the largest sets in the series.

Personally, I feel that all of the LOTR/Hobbit sets are fairly disappointing in many ways, even the proposed 28.75" tall tower of orthanc isn't all that spectacular. I would much prefer if it was around 40" tall as that would actually make it somewhat impressive. That being said, my general expectations for these sets are fairly low and I tend to hold them all to that standard. I don't know if this is entirely Lego's fault as they need to stick to certain price points and recreating the massive movie scenes is quite a challenge with those constraints. However, I do really like LOTR and these shortcomings really aren't going to keep me from getting excited about them.

I can't say I view these as the worst sets by any means, there are several I would hand that title over to before these. They certainly aren't the best either though, as they are neither exceptionally well designed nor the largest sets in the series.

I think Helm's Deep look cool on display with 2 walls added.... It is just about right size for me to get it in display in the flat...

I also think Orc Forge looks good enough, while lacking alot of things it is good enough for display.

Rest are much more play-sets (2 above are also but they also fill display purpose good enough)

Black Gate - no contest. I am not a fan of Weathertop. It's only redeeming feature is the minifigs. If we see Merry and the Nazgul in other sets then it's value will drop, less so if we see only variants of those minifigs. Wethertop seems stuck in a no mans land of being somewhat of a 'playset', whereas the main market for LOTR to me is those who want display sets - more of an AFOL or LOTR collectors demographic. I'm generalising a lot here - sure some kids/teens may love LOTR playsets but they have so many more Lego options for that (Ninjago, chima, etc). Black Gate, especially Black Gate x 2, will look awesome on display. Plus the minifigs are great as well. Clear winner for me. I'll be buying a bunch.

I could very much see Weathertop being the only set that has Nazgul though. What other set would have them, Osgiliath? Arwen being chased in the river? They don't make that many appearances that would be set worthy unless you count the Prancing Pony.

Yeah, on horseback there isn't many options. Maybe a Brandywine River Crossing set with a small boat... or the 2 you mention.

I picked up Weathertop about a month ago for 20% off ($63 Canadian). Needless to say, buyers remorse set it and I`ve happily returned it. Personally, I really don`t like the set (cheap design and outrageously overpriced IMO). The Nasgul`s are worth picking up, and perhaps I`ll order some bulk ones to put away, but for sure my vote is Black Gate

I could very much see Weathertop being the only set that has Nazgul though. What other set would have them, Osgiliath? Arwen being chased in the river? They don't make that many appearances that would be set worthy unless you count the Prancing Pony.

Well I think everyone would hope/think if we get more than 3 lines of LOTR LEGO sets that we should get Nazgul on Fell beast, sure it might come as the Witch king with his helmet, but its not like its hard to get additional BLACK hoods for them from SW line (palpatine etc.)

True, but any set with the Witch King won't have additional Nazgul anyway. The only way I believe we will see any more Nazgul is if they feature further in The Hobbit series when the White Council battle with the Necromancer Out of the two sets, the Gate is the better option. I do wonder how much of a drawcard the Mouth of Sauron minifig really will be though when he was only in the Extended Cut, and even then his character ill explained.

True, but any set with the Witch King won't have additional Nazgul anyway.

The only way I believe we will see any more Nazgul is if they feature further in The Hobbit series when the White Council battle with the Necromancer

Out of the two sets, the Gate is the better option. I do wonder how much of a drawcard the Mouth of Sauron minifig really will be though when he was only in the Extended Cut, and even then his character ill explained.

Yes but how hard will it be to switch Witch kings helmet with a regular hood that are plenty around?

If you are forking out the money for that set do you really want to buy it to switch a Witch King for a Nazgul? You'd have to think they would be putting in a Fell Beast as well, so it wouldn't be a cheap set (I wonder if Lego sat back and just wished they had him ride into Minas Tirith on his steed as per the book) We are also assuming they make one.

If you are forking out the money for that set do you really want to buy it to switch a Witch King for a Nazgul?

You'd have to think they would be putting in a Fell Beast as well, so it wouldn't be a cheap set (I wonder if Lego sat back and just wished they had him ride into Minas Tirith on his steed as per the book)

We are also assuming they make one.

Yeh ofc but that is what speculation is for...

While surely 9 nazgul on 9 black horses are more iconic than 9 of them on Fell beasts, I would rather spend money and buy witch king repeatedley and keep 1 and switch black hoods on others for regular Nazgul....

I mean surely I would rather pay lets say 50$ for brick built fell beast and 1 witch king than 50$+ for EOLed weathertop

Its a speculation, but i just dont see TLG releasing only 1 set with Nazgul and Merry... It looks against logic, just like Eagle, surely we will get them elsewhere.

Lego is fine with only producing a special creature once, look at the Wampa, the Rancor, Goblin King and Cave troll, Hppogriff, Thestrols ect.. I don't see those ever getting released again. The eagle certainly will fit in fine in other sets, but this could be the only one.

Ye, except Star Wars is IP with probably triple of LOTR sales or atleast holds number 2 spots for TLG... LOTR is nowhere near that high.

• 4 weeks later...

This set is gone at most of my retailers. And when these LOTR sets sell, it doesn't ever look like they are replenishing stock. Alot of stores appear to just be pushing the few remaining sets closer to the front of the shelves and leaving bare space behind.