9472 - Attack on Weathertop

lol perfect shipping from Amazon? In the US, statements like that make us laugh so hard we shoot soda out our noses. Even if we weren't drinking soda.

Yeah I often read about Amazon US. In the UK however they always pack items really well and with appropriate size boxes. They also follow up deliveries with a small questionnaire about the packaging etc. I feel for you's in the US who take a gamble every time you order. It's a bit like Tesco and Asda supermarkets here who pack Lego in a plastic bag for pickup or delivery.

Guest TabbyBoy

Yeah I often read about Amazon US. In the UK however they always pack items really well and with appropriate size boxes. They also follow up deliveries with a small questionnaire about the packaging etc. I feel for you's in the US who take a gamble every time you order. It's a bit like Tesco and Asda supermarkets here who pack Lego in a plastic bag for pickup or delivery.

The worst in the UK is Argos, all they use are cheap thin mailing bags with not protection whatsoever.  I find Tesco/Asda are OK if you order multiples of sets that fit in a factory outer box eg. 3x Paggenger Trains.

Back to the subject(ish)... I await the condition of the Weathertops I bought from eBay yesterday.

Guest TabbyBoy

The worst in the UK is Argos, all they use are cheap thin mailing bags with not protection whatsoever.  I find Tesco/Asda are OK if you order multiples of sets that fit in a factory outer box eg. 3x Paggenger Trains.

Back to the subject(ish)... I await the condition of the Weathertops I bought from eBay yesterday.

They arrived just now in pristine condition! ;-)  Now to see what other goodies he has.

• 2 months later...

I picked up 10 of these once they retired and were on clearance for $40.  I know this set has only been retired for a few months now, but I feel like it hasn't really appreciated at all.  Most eBay listings close below original MSRP.  I thought the inclusion of the Ringwraiths and an exclusive Merry figure would have given this set some oomph, but it seems people don't care much for it.

I would love to hear peoples' perspectives on why the value of this set isn't moving.  I know that not every set appreciates 100% overnight, but this was the first LotR set to retire, and I thought it was a cool enough set.  I expected more from it by now, especially with Christmas coming up. 

Thoughts???

It won't be on many peoples Christmas list, anyone who wanted it would have it already, while prices are low there is no panic to buy and we've just seen a new wave of hobbit sets. I have 2 of these, always knew it would be a wait, worth the gamble in the long run, I think loads of people had a lots of these in the sales. I think helms deep and Orc forge are the winners, the set doesnt even fit in that well with the others, has the most ridiculous inclusion of flik fire missiles in any set ever. But the ringwraiths and horses will redeem this set eventually.

Two possible explanations:

1. There are still plenty of places that have stock left of this set. I don't know about the U.S. but I still come across this set in physical stores and also Amazon UK still sells it below (European) retail price.

2. Demand for it just isn't that big. Personally I concider this an average set. I bought one for my own collection but if I had missed out on it I don't think I'd lose any sleep over it.

My guess it's a bit of both. I don't think aftermarket for this and Mines of Moria (cave troll is nice but not impressed with the build) will be that great. The fact that they were so heavily discounted during their lifetime is telling for their appeal. Also, the mid sized sets in the POTC theme (The Mill, London Escape, Whitecap Bay) have shown disapointing growth, so maybe this kind of set is just not what people are prepared to pay more than retail price for in the aftermarket. Unless it's an exceptional set designwise or has desirable fugures like Harry Potter's the Burrow. OK Weathertop has Merry but I'd call that 'meh'.

Easy, no movie tie ins.  Peter Jackson needs to release the ultimate doubly extended LOTR FotR with an extra 10 minutes of content to the theaters.  Either that or put the darn ringwraiths in the 3rd Hobbit movie.

I guarantee you the price of this set will roar.

No movie tie ins? Maybe with the Hobbit movie, but it's the first battle against Ringwraiths in the Fellowship of the Ring. So it has seen some good movie time and your theory is incorrect. If only they put a Twilight Nazgul or the Witchking in it, this set would be awesome. But it will appreciate soon, don't worry.

I have 10. Not really worried. It technically has gone up - couple months ago when it retired, it was going for about $48 or so on Ebay. I have seen them sell for over $60 the last week or so. So its gone up a bit.

The figures are pretty awesome in this set - at least the ringwraiths are. I think it will be good.

All the LOTR sets are going to do this - because they are retiring long before they are actually out of stores. Once they finally clear up, it will jump. PLus a lot of people don't even know this set is retired, so no panic buying.

• Like 1