9493 - X-Wing Starfighter

Dbroncoboy

Any thoughts on whether this set is just OOS for the holidays or whether it's nearing the end? Amazon hasn't had it in stock in at least a month, walmart.com and target.com have been OOS for a while. I haven't seen one in target for a while either....

Also, any thoughts on the value of this set if it were to go EOL?

Only a few scattered retailers have it near me, but it's still "available" at the LEGO website. I think its days are numbered, and being iconic the way it is, I suspect the value will do just fine. Last Christmas when it was easily found it was selling for $100 online, and I saw it approach $90 this Christmas already. I think it will do fine after EOL. 

I can think of 200 Lego sets (maybe?) that I would invest in rather than this one. While the gained, none has since then and all of them were modest anyway, besides the UCS one obviously.

Don't think its gone either - not with a year until to new movies.

Either way don't waste your money on this set - just not worth the risk.

I can't see LEGO now ever completely or permanently discontinuing any of the truly iconic ships (X-Wing, TIE fighter, Y-Wing, A-Wing, MF) especially with the new movies coming out. All of these have seen numerous remakes/re-releases. They are simply too popular.

I'd only buy these if you can get them at a big discount with an eye on flipping/selling them during Christmas. These always seem to sell out at Christmas and you can make some good money flipping. For example, I got some TIE fighters last year on 50% clearance after Christmas for $30-35. This Christmas after Amazon sold out of them, I was selling them for $70-$75 each. The X-Wing is going for $85-$90.  

• Like 1

let's not forget a life-size 9493 was built and displayed at Legoland. I saw this first hand and I can tell you the pictures you see on the Internet do not do it justice. I believe this will prolong the run of this set and will set it apart from the other versions of the x wing.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Because it is out of production in Germany. Any new thoughts on this set? Winner after EOL? Or 50/50?

Like others have said, with so many remakes, I don't think you'll ever see an X-wing be a big winner.  Including the UCS, there's been, what, 6 X-Wings?  I can about guarantee there will be another one when this one leaves us as well.

Like others have said, with so many remakes, I don't think you'll ever see an X-wing be a big winner.  Including the UCS, there's been, what, 6 X-Wings?  I can about guarantee there will be another one when this one leaves us as well.

Yep. 6 X-wings if you don't include 7142 because it's a re-released set of 7140.

Yep. 6 X-wings if you don't include 7142 because it's a re-released set of 7140.

don't forget the microfighter - that makes 7.  just kidding.

9493 is now the only 2012 set on the shelf at the targets i frequent.

i have just enough of these to pair with tie-fighters and y-wings.

i will sell these 3 ships as death star ship battle pack next summer.

x-wing is done over so many times i'll be happy if i can get 25% above msrp on 9493 in the above pack.

on the otherhand I am a fan of 10240 red five x-wing and snagged 4 two months at 15% off when target had a BOGO30 and early on during the sale included the red five .  this is the largest x-wing  produced and should perform well down the road.

especially if for once they buck the trend of endless repeats.

9493 is now the only 2012 set on the shelf at the targets i frequent.

The 9493 disappeared from all the Targets in my local area a little while after Christmas. I guess they were all sold when Target was doing their 30% off clearance on certain sets.

• 1 month later...

While I also would love to see this retire, the Falcon has outlives the other sets in its release series by about 2 years. X-Wing being so iconic, I don't think there's any assurance it is going away this year. Though Red-5 being out there right now probably makes it more likely.

• 2 months later...

I think the red 5 x-wing has epic investment potential simply due to the fact so few are talking about it. In five years the supply/demand ratio on this set is very heavily going to favor DEMAND.

I also think it's going away sooner than folks anticipate.

The box does this set no justice... Built it is an absolute beauty. And although TLG will certainly have future iterations of the x wing, none will ever again touch this level of detail.

Strong investment buy.

Beautiful set. Have only 1 of it due to heavy price/low discount. But would love to build it.

I have one boxed as well... Have been able to resist opening.

Did, however, have an epic FAIL on one of my Tumblers... Two nights ago, on account of partaking in a gratuitous amounts of a certain beverage, we opened and began building one. The thing is ridiculously cool.

• Like 1

I think the red 5 x-wing has epic investment potential simply due to the fact so few are talking about it. In five years the supply/demand ratio on this set is very heavily going to favor DEMAND.

I also think it's going away sooner than folks anticipate.

The box does this set no justice... Built it is an absolute beauty. And although TLG will certainly have future iterations of the x wing, none will ever again touch this level of detail.

Strong investment buy.

I could not agree more with your words! It is somehow underestimated with all these exclusives stealing the show before retirement (SSD, HH, GE, r2d2 etc), but one day people will realise it's a bit too late maybe..

I could not agree more with your words! It is somehow underestimated with all these exclusives stealing the show before retirement (SSD, HH, GE, r2d2 etc), but one day people will realise it's a bit too late maybe..

I think people are down on xwing because this is rerelease, and it looks like a blown up copy of current small xwing

• Like 1