9493 - X-Wing Starfighter

Dbroncoboy

I think the x wing is such an iconic model that there will always be a version of it on store shelves. Same with Millenium Falcon, At-At, etc.

There just won't be another X-Wing of this quality and caliber, which will make it a treasured piece for a true collector. If a collector is choosing from the available past/current/future X-Wings to display with their SSD, Imperial Shuttle, etc.- this version is the hands-down winner. TLG won't design a fancier x-wing than this one... Though almost undoubtedly we'll see an "updated" mid-price version in the future.

Exclusive, expensive, low hoarding rates... All great factors for this sets long-term value.

Will the fact that there is a small xwing hurt the potential of Red5?

no.

but the opposite of that is true - the Red 5 UCS x-wing will put a ceiling on the little x-wing's value while the Red 5 is available at retailers - why would anyone pay $100 or $150 for the little x-wing after it retires when for a little bit more you get the UCS version.

• Like 2

I think the x wing is such an iconic model that there will always be a version of it on store shelves. Same with Millenium Falcon, At-At, etc.

There just won't be another X-Wing of this quality and caliber, which will make it a treasured piece for a true collector. If a collector is choosing from the available past/current/future X-Wings to display with their SSD, Imperial Shuttle, etc.- this version is the hands-down winner. TLG won't design a fancier x-wing than this one... Though almost undoubtedly we'll see an "updated" mid-price version in the future.

Exclusive, expensive, low hoarding rates... All great factors for this sets long-term value.

Yes, thats the way I see it too. If you're in it for collection you want the nice proper X-Wing...not the small ones. You buy the small one for your kids as for them (the majority) its just a cool star ship. While the X-Wing, that's something you can't afford missing from your collection if a true SW/LEGO fan! I am one of them and I have it too, not really interested in the small one.

If you've seem some of the spy shots of the new movie, there are some rebel bases revealed and you can see a variation of the X-Wing or the actual X-wing on the photos, which means this thing will be ever more popular! With r2d2 in the game...awesome combo to have, I can even see people buying them together

why?  the build is impressive. includes 4 minifigs.   it's minifig scaled.  i think this set will have a nice ROI for a short while until it's refreshed w/ the ones from the newer movies.  however, it could also be a long-term winner as it's prob the last non-UCS original trilogy x-wing. 

i

no.

but the opposite of that is true - the Red 5 UCS x-wing will put a ceiling on the little x-wing's value while the Red 5 is available at retailers - why would anyone pay $100 or $150 for the little x-wing after it retires when for a little bit more you get the UCS version.

why?  the build is impressive. includes 4 minifigs.   it's minifig scaled.  i think this set will have a nice ROI for a short while until it's refreshed w/ the ones from the newer movies.  however, it could also be a long-term winner as it's prob the last non-UCS original trilogy x-wing. 

i

yeah - i didn't take into account the minifigures.  

i have 8 9493  picked up during a TRU BOGO where they didn't jack up the price .

hopefully i'll be wrong and will make money sooner than i thought.

9493 has an eye catching box.

Edited by cladner

This is not the right topic but, considering how difficult it is to apply stickers on the cockpit for the UCS x-wing, it may be interesting to apply sticker before selling...

About the retirement of the x-wing 9493, the 9492 (tie-fighter) is already done but it's less iconic. Hard to tell but I think the 9493 will survive to 2014, even 2105. Why ?

The tie-fighter (again, sorry for the off topic but everything is about the "x-wing vs tie fighter" stuff), the tie-interceptor hasn't been released since a decade ! (planet series and microfighters are a joke), so I really wonder if a tie-interceptor would'nt arrive, to fit with the x-wing 9493 (sort of).

Edited by biniou

This is not the right topic but, considering how difficult it is to apply stickers on the cockpit for the UCS x-wing, it may be interesting to apply sticker before selling...

I bought and built the 10240 UCS X-wing and didn't apply the cockpit sticker. The set looks fine without it on. My guess would be that some collectors who want this set for display wouldn't add the cockpit sticker because it's too difficult.

I only have 4 of the 9493. I paid $150 each and I regret not getting 6 more (which I was very close to pulling th trigger on).

Each one came with the NY I <3 Yoda. I have already sold 2 of the yodas for just shy of $600 total after fees and shipping. So I am basically free rolling the 4 x wings and 2 yodas at this time.

I only have 4 of the 9493. I paid $150 each and I regret not getting 6 more (which I was very close to pulling th trigger on).

Each one came with the NY I <3 Yoda. I have already sold 2 of the yodas for just shy of $600 total after fees and shipping. So I am basically free rolling the 4 x wings and 2 yodas at this time.

Do you mean 10240? $150 for 9493 is crazy expensive ( > 2 x MSRP)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes there's the UCS Red-Five. Yes this set will be re-made. Yes it has hung around a long time. You're going to hear a thousand reasons why to avoid this set. Maybe they are right,  I personally am of the mindset that original trilogy Star Wars sets are ALWAYS worth getting. $40 or so as an entry for this.

There have been very very very few "losers" from the OT.

• Like 1