North Carolina/South Carolina-Charlotte Area

yodadoc1234

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm also very new to the site. I'm in Raleigh/Durham area. I'm a newly formed AFOL in my early 30's and I have re-discovered my love for Lego from my childhood. Mom and Dad are also really into it and thankfully, they were smart enough to save all my sets from when I was a kid. Castle, Space Police, I'm almost positive we have an 80's something space guy with the same broken helmet piece as well.

My wife has reluctantly tolerated my newly rediscovered love for Lego and I'm hoping I can pass the hobby down to our children, the first of which is due in May.

As for investing, I've been on a bit if a budget planning for the baby, so currently I've been buying myself the sets I want with the money I can allocate to it, but I've given a lot of thought to trying to invest in Lego only to the extent that I can use it mainly to fund my own purchases. I'm curious if anyone else does this or has some tips for me?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to being a part of the community here!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

What do you guys think is better? Investing in and selling an unopened set or opening the box and parting it out? Some of the minifigs in various sets make quite a bit of money by themselves.

There is no single answer to this. Some sets are great to part out, others not so much. Some are good to part out during part of their production cycle and better to buy and hold later on. Read through the forums and blogs. Look for ones written by No Not Insert In Mouth, he specializes in parting out sets.

Parting out is faster, but is a lot of work, buy and hold is by nature a longer term strategy but can get higher returns.

Thanks for the reply. It's along the lines of what I was thinking. I will def check out some of the resources you mention.

One thought I had was buying certain sets multiple times and parting out only the minifigs so I get more blocks to build with. I've seen where you may be able to make back a significant portion of a sets price on minifigures alone (depending on the set, of course).

• 3 months later...

I'm also in the Raleigh area. The blind bag mini figures got me hooked and now I'm slowly building up my investments. I'll start with the modulars first because they seem like a solid investment and if I can't sell them later I will build them.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

The LEGO store in Raleigh had 4 Grand Emporiums left about a week ago. I was kind enough to leave them for you because I knew you were new and needed a layup to get started on your new found LEGO hoarding addiction.

I'm not 100% sure it's retiring this year but if I lived in the area I would have ran to the ATM, taken out a wad of cash (to avoid the ban hammer radar), and dropped the six Franklin's on the counter for those four minty fresh sets.

If you don't buy at least one now you will regret it later.  In fact, the only place you'll find it is in a TRU (Toys R Us) parking lot.  Otherwise, you'll be stuck buying one off emazers for 2-3 times that.

Please, go buy yourself a couple Grand Emporiums.  The baby will love you for it.

Welcome.  Im in Myrtle Beach.  The Carolinas in general for lego hunting are challenging because of the distance between citys with stores.  The TRU's and Barnes and Noble are few and far between and most of the kmarts have closed.  Walmart clearance is lots of fun in this region though as we do have many walmarts.  

The Lego store still had the Grand Emporiums last night when I went to pick up an Ecto-1 that finally came back in yesterday. The manager said they got a shipment of 50 and had sold 30 already. The Grand Emporium will definitely be my next purchase, but the store isn't the only place to get them since LEGO Shop at Home still has them. 

Bricklegacy, what is the ban hammer that you're referring too? And why does paying cash help you avoid it?

The Lego store still had the Grand Emporiums last night when I went to pick up an Ecto-1 that finally came back in yesterday. The manager said they got a shipment of 50 and had sold 30 already. The Grand Emporium will definitely be my next purchase, but the store isn't the only place to get them since LEGO Shop at Home still has them. 

Bricklegacy, what is the ban hammer that you're referring too? And why does paying cash help you avoid it?

The ban hammer is when Lego decides that you are a reseller and refuses to sell items to you. It gets triggered by buying too many sets from LEGO Shop at Home with a single CC, VIP account or shipping too much to a single address. No one knows what volume of purchases will draw attention, as there is no consistency with regards to who has and has not been banned. One thing to make sure is that if you have an ebay account that it different than your Lego VIP login.

Not sure if this was advertised anywhere since it seems to be ninja turtle month in the Lego Store, but when I went to my local Lego store last night in Raleigh to buy a big set, they gave me a flashback shredder polybag for spending over $75. I hadn't heard that polybag was even in the US yet.

Not sure if this was advertised anywhere since it seems to be ninja turtle month in the Lego Store, but when I went to my local Lego store last night in Raleigh to buy a big set, they gave me a flashback shredder polybag for spending over $75. I hadn't heard that polybag was even in the US yet.

No it's going on now:

FREE EXCLUSIVE FLASHBACK SHREDDER

I'm sorry I didn't notice if they had any left. I hadn't seen the promo for the Shredder. Thanks for the info.

I went to finally pick up my Tower of Orthanc. I have wanted one but this is for my personal collection not an investment. :-)

I'm sorry I didn't notice if they had any left. I hadn't seen the promo for the Shredder. Thanks for the info.

I went to finally pick up my Tower of Orthanc. I have wanted one but this is for my personal collection not an investment. :-)

It's okay, someone else said they called and the Raleigh store was sold out of GEs. You'll like the Tower, my son-in-law has it built and sitting on top of a black bookshelf. It looks soooooooo awesome.

• 2 weeks later...