What "retiring soon" lego set are you focusing on?

Well, now that TLG has given us the "retiring soon" label on several sets, which sets are you guys focusing on?  That is, which sets do you think have the most upside.  I think most see HD, Super Heroes, and possibly Unimog as winners.  But what about the less talked about sets?

Anyone picking up:

City Garage?

Winter Village Cottage?

Technic sets: Helicopter, Logging Truck, Pick Up Truck?

Train Station?

Lone Ranger Train?

Monster Fighters Vampyre Hearse, and other MF sets

Anything else?

Personally, since learning of the retiring soon sets, I loaded up on the Winter Village Cottage. I grabbed like 8 Pick Up trucks and 10 VH during the TRU sale, but this was before learning that they were EOL.  Now I feel better about that.  I have a few LR CT, and City Garage, but I'm wondering if I should grab more.  What's everyone focusing on?

Today, I just picked up Winter Village Cottages and a Logging Truck. I love both of these as investments. Already had my allotment of LR Trains, so I didn't need any more. Thinking about a couple of Rescue Helicopters, but I'll probably get another Logging Truck instead.

Winter Vill Cottages. Need more!

LR Trains. Worth the risk because it comes with ample track. Straight track alone sells for $2.50-4 each.

It's prob too late for Monster Fighters deals.

Jabba's Palace. Everyone should try to buy at least 10. Then pair 1/2 of them up with the Skiff and Rancor Pit sets. Might be hard to do now since Rancors and Jabba's aren't on-sale anymore.

• Like 1

Winter Village hit me like a ton of bricks. I had one that I got for like 80 bucks using some GC I got from a previous order, but that was it. The day it was posted here about WV being labeled retiring soon I put 8 of these into a cart on Target and then my stupid Redcard wouldnt work!!! I was told it would be a couple of hours to figure it out and by the time it was sorted Target was sold out!!! Shouldve just used my Amex but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo I had to get the 5% off. Oh well. Was anybody NOT surprised by how fast they sold out???

Winter Village hit me like a ton of bricks. I had one that I got for like 80 bucks using some GC I got from a previous order, but that was it. The day it was posted here about WV being labeled retiring soon I put 8 of these into a cart on Target and then my stupid Redcard wouldnt work!!! I was told it would be a couple of hours to figure it out and by the time it was sorted Target was sold out!!! Shouldve just used my Amex but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo I had to get the 5% off. Oh well. Was anybody NOT surprised by how fast they sold out???

I feel your pain.  The Winter Cottage was a set that I wanted to stock up on heavily.  I noticed that it was sold out on the lego Uk site a couple weeks ago, and thought about pulling the trigger for retail price, but didn't because I saw that lego.com, and the other major retailer still had them in stock.  The next thing I knew.....They were gone like that!  I'm glad I picked up about 15 last year when lego had a sale on them after Christmas, otherwise I would probably only have 1.  I resorted to buying about 12 or so on ebay, for about $120-125 shipped, for each one...not bad.  I now have almost 30, but wouldn't mind owning 100 of these.  I am almost certain it will hit $200, by next Christmas.

I was definitely surprised.  I picked up about 5 during triple VIP points, but was hoping to really stock up during the expected post-holiday discount. Once I saw they were sold out at TLG, I tried going through Target as they were the only other retailer with stock...except, same thing happened to me and I couldn't use my redcard!!  So I tried to call in to have them manually input my order and apply discount but then it sold out.  I had to drive around several Lego stores the last couple of days to get my stash.  I ended up getting 20 of these in the end, which is okay.  I would have preferred 30.  But yeah, I paid full retail for the majority of mine and I was still okay with that.

I was definitely surprised.  I picked up about 5 during triple VIP points, but was hoping to really stock up during the expected post-holiday discount. Once I saw they were sold out at TLG, I tried going through Target as they were the only other retailer with stock...except, same thing happened to me and I couldn't use my redcard!!  So I tried to call in to have them manually input my order and apply discount but then it sold out.  I had to drive around several Lego stores the last couple of days to get my stash.  I ended up getting 20 of these in the end, which is okay.  I would have preferred 30.  But yeah, I paid full retail for the majority of mine and I was still okay with that.

You too???!!! Thats like the second time I've missed out on something because of my stupid Redcard. Next time I'm gonna try once and if it doesnt work I'm just gonna skip the 5% and use the Amex. Glad you were able to pick up a few more. 20 is a pretty healthy stash and you can probably bank on all of those doubling next X-Mas. I'm gonna make the rounds at my two Lego stores this weekend but after that I'm gonna chalk it up to a loss :(

People shouldn't compare the Emerald Night to the LR train. These are two products with very different targeted end-users. The EN was designed by Lego as a higher-end item meant for serious train AFOLs with realistic looks and advanced use.

The LR train is more like Hogwarts Express as it has lesser details, lower price tag, a few Lego play gimmicks (trapped / hidden doors, falling water tower, cars that shake people out, etc...).

The LR train is also a more serious version of the Toy Story and Monster Fighters train due to the type of minifigs included and overall design.

Too bad a UCS-like Hogwarts Express was never made

Well, now that TLG has given us the "retiring soon" label on several sets, which sets are you guys focusing on?  That is, which sets do you think have the most upside.  I think most see HD, Super Heroes, and possibly Unimog as winners.  But what about the less talked about sets?

Anyone picking up:

City Garage?

Winter Village Cottage?

Technic sets: Helicopter, Logging Truck, Pick Up Truck?

Train Station?

Lone Ranger Train?

Monster Fighters Vampyre Hearse, and other MF sets

Anything else?

Personally, since learning of the retiring soon sets, I loaded up on the Winter Village Cottage. I grabbed like 8 Pick Up trucks and 10 VH during the TRU sale, but this was before learning that they were EOL.  Now I feel better about that.  I have a few LR CT, and City Garage, but I'm wondering if I should grab more.  What's everyone focusing on?

A whole lot of yes in this box above.  Just picked up another City Garage yesterday, WV Cottages during 3x points, more Train Stations yesterday, Lone Ranger Trains when they were $65 at Amazon and TRU.  Also focusing on getting City Trains when they are on sale.  Can Get Passenger Trains for $112 at TRU with the $25 off $100 purchase right now, tax included. 

I noticed at my local TRU that they marked up the Freight Train up to  $219.99.  Is this a holiday thing? Or a set retiring thing? They hadn't marked up the Passenger Train, but they had marked up all the new Hobbit sets, so, could be this time of year.

Winter Vill Cottages. Need more!

LR Trains. Worth the risk because it comes with ample track. Straight track alone sells for $2.50-4 each.

It's prob too late for Monster Fighters deals.

Jabba's Palace. Everyone should try to buy at least 10. Then pair 1/2 of them up with the Skiff and Rancor Pit sets. Might be hard to do now since Rancors and Jabba's aren't on-sale anymore.

I agree.  I saw the retiring soon thing on there and quickly bought up 28 from Target.

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up more Technic Tow Trucks when they were $40 or less at Toys R Us.  I only bought 6, but I could have 20 if I would have just convinced myself to grab them all.

I'll get a couple Logging Trucks and maybe a couple more Technic Helicopters if Amazon.co.uk gets them back in-stock. I have 2 City Garage sets, but I think I might get a couple more today.  I haven't made up my mind yet.

I too will be buying several Lone Ranger trains if I can get them at 50% off.