21010 - Robie House

DoNotInsertIntoMouth

I am up to 5.  I don't stock up in the double digits too often, but I think I will head towards 10 on this one.  I think it is winner because Frank Lloyd Wright is a star of architectural design like Batman or Spiderman to comic book fans.  This is a great model, and there are a lot of people that don't realize lego makes these models.  As they see them, the early ones will be valuable like the first wave Batman sets.  The Robie is the biggest to date, and is a sleeper because it isn't as well known as Fallingwater.  I will continue to collect these if I can find them around $150.  My TRU has them that cheap whenever there is BOGO sale.

It think it has a good chance to hit $400 within 2 years.  It might not be a quick flip, but I wouldn't be surprised if it went a lot higher.  There has never been a large architecture set retired.  We will have to wait and see.  It hasn't seen huge discounts and sold out pretty quickly from Amazon.  We will have to see how many are in the TRU and Barnes and Noble systems.  Not many other places have them around me.  The entire Architecture line is still a sleeper with most people, even after its performance this holiday season.

Don't forget about Fallingwater.  I pick these up below $75.  I think it will have a higher CAGR than Robie House.

• Like 1

When you sign up for B and ****** kids club you get a 30% coupon. Don't know how many times you can use it but it lasts for a month.

Reading it online it says 1 purchase only. Still 30% off is a $60 savings on just one set. I don't have kids but thought about signing up for it, but it's probably not very ethical.

I have 2 and plan on getting 2 or 4 more.  It's a classic piece, and I know people in Chicago will buy it like crazy when it is no longer offered.  I might even just put it on CList here.  If I could catch a clearance, I might get up to 10, but hard to find these outside of Lego or full price on Amazon or BN. 

I have one for investment and may get one more, but I'm slightly worried that the FLW label will not overcome the relative anonymity of the house to non-architecture fans.

I have toured Robie House, and it is quite simply an amazing example of Wright's Prairie Style. I also think the set itself is incredibly beautiful and accurate to its subject. It's just that no one knows the actual Robie House.

I have one for investment and may get one more, but I'm slightly worried that the FLW label will not overcome the relative anonymity of the house to non-architecture fans.

I have toured Robie House, and it is quite simply an amazing example of Wright's Prairie Style. I also think the set itself is incredibly beautiful and accurate to its subject. It's just that no one knows the actual Robie House.

Kind of to that point, there are many reasons, good and bad, a set loses a ton of value while its out. You notice most of the arch and most exclusive sets (and technic actually) don't lose value because they don't really get discounted that much.

The Robie house lost a lot of value which tells me Ebay was having trouble finding buyers. So that may mean there is not a ton of demand.

On the other hand, that may mean its a huge sleeper. AND, its one of the first big arch sets so it may become a little more sought after just because of that.

• 3 weeks later...

Buy two Fallingwaters for each Robie House. One of the worst architecture sets I've built so far, so bland. Unless you are an architect who loves Frank then almost no one knows this set. 

I have 1 for investment and one that I've built myself...I couldn't agree more with kerrmando's statement.  Fallingwater was a pretty fun build, but Robie house sucked the life out of me.  80% of the set relies on laying those red 1x2 bricks...and makes for a long, tedious build.  "But Brian" I thought "once it's finished you'll be able to play with it..." hahaha.  I think the worst part is that laying all of those 1x2 bricks doesn't truly create a brick-like texture, Instead it just looks like larger bricks were used once built.  It actually looks like an $80 set once finished and it isn't until you put your face against it that you can see the lines between the bricks...I was disappointed. 

I wouldn't stock too heavy on these, but it's worth having 1 or 2 in case it takes off.  

Reading it online it says 1 purchase only. Still 30% off is a $60 savings on just one set. I don't have kids but thought about signing up for it, but it's probably not very ethical.

No difference than signing up for a ton of email accounts, or having family sign up. I signed up. I don't have a kid. Im sure some would even frown upon that. do what you wanna do. I really want this set but every time I go to B and ****** they keep restocking these things called death stars, I find old friends sets or police stations that are quick flips, or there are 4 r2d2's. I don't think I'm supposed to own the robie house.