First glimpse of GALAXY SQUAD

TheOrcKing

It would seem in a recent issue of the LEGO Club Magazine, at the end of a MONSTER FIGHTERS comic, we get a glimpse of the Insect-like enemies of the GALAXY SQUAD theme coming next year!

First sighting of Galaxy Squad? - Brickset

The names of the GALAXY SQUAD sets sounded very similiar to the INSECTOIDS from 1998-1999.

I am so glad that the aliens are not simple redesigns of those. I had a couple of ideas of what they could look like,

and it seems what they will be is pretty close as to what I was hoping for actually.

A nice alien bug!

Oddly enough, I'm reminded of the video games, Galaga & Centipede, for some reason.

Hmm....Can't imagine why. ;-)

I think it's a safe bet to say that the Alien Soldier in Series 9 of the MINIFIGURES line will be one of these guys.

(Just have a different color scheme & body printing.)

And the good guys will be the Galaxy Patrol figure from Series 7.

(Again, different color scheme & body printing.)

If this is what Galaxy Squad is, then it's more money saved. Chima is animals, and this ends up being bugs?? No thanks, I prefer my Lego people to be people.

Same, I'm not a big fan of any of these themes, Ninjago, Chima, or Galaxy Squad. I too like my Lego people to be people! I can't wait to see this Lone Ranger theme, hopefully TLG does a good job with it.

I think I would actually prefer a non-licensed cowboys and indians theme. Lone Ranger will be confined to the movie, and will almost surely be a 1 or 2 year run, most likely 1. The only Ninjago stuff I have is because my son likes the spinners and dragons and such, but I have never bought any for investment purposes.

I think I would actually prefer a non-licensed cowboys and indians theme. Lone Ranger will be confined to the movie, and will almost surely be a 1 or 2 year run, most likely 1.

The only Ninjago stuff I have is because my son likes the spinners and dragons and such, but I have never bought any for investment purposes.

Yeah thats true, non-licensed stuff would be better. I would love if they had another cowboys and indians theme like they had in the mid 90s, I loved those when I was younger! Totally understandable about the Ninjago, I'm sure if I had kids I would be buying them Ninjago or Friends themed sets. I really hope when the day comes that I do have kids they love Lego like I do!

I'm a city/town/modular/train guy myself so obviously I can't wait to see the next modular (cinema I keep hearing)...

Sheesh, the only response here I can agree with is I would rather have an original western theme instead of one based on a film license. It has been a LONG time since we have gotten any kind of wild west sets and we really do need some good ones. I wish it wasn't centered around any fim (a Disney one no less) just for the reason that, like you say, it limits the theme to what we will be allowed to get in terms of designs.

(LEGO can only make sets on what Disney says they actually can, dang it.)

Man, overall there doesn't seem to a be a single set from next year that interests anyone here!

(Not including myself.)

So far the one thing everyone is looking forward to is the Modular "Palace Cinema", and maybe BATMAN "Arkham Asylum Breakout". Oh, and the "Horizon Express".

Course, I suppose most are only looking for obvious investment winners. No problem with that.

Sheesh, the only response here I can agree with is I would rather have an original western theme instead of one based on a film license. It has been a LONG time since we have gotten any kind of wild west sets and we really do need some good ones. I wish it wasn't centered around any fim (a Disney one no less) just for the reason that, like you say, it limits the theme to what we will be allowed to get in terms of designs.

(LEGO can only make sets on what Disney says they actually can, dang it.)

Man, overall there doesn't seem to a be a single set from next year that interests anyone here!

(Not including myself.)

So far the one thing everyone is looking forward to is the Modular "Palace Cinema", and maybe BATMAN "Arkham Asylum Breakout". Oh, and the "Horizon Express".

Course, I suppose most are only looking for obvious investment winners. No problem with that.

I think we can all agree that Lego is never going to make themes, and sets within them, that will make EVERYONE happy. When they make fastastical themes like Space Galaxy or whatever with attacking bugs, they lose me. I have read many posts that others are thoroughly looking forward to them.

You have me pegged correctly, I am really only looking forward to a couple sets next year so far, even Star Wars(outside the Rancor) is a bust for me, but I am sure there are others that love Clone Wars that are very excited about the next wave. Hopefully the Summer sets will have more that hits a home run, but this wave is underwhelming for me personally.

I think people are once again failing to realize that LEGO sets are designed for children first. My three year old son loves bugs and I can see these doing quite well. I enjoy the variety lately and LEGO likes to mix it up for kids. Mummies, monsters, aliens, ninjas, dragons...whatever. The majority of these sets are designed for kids. We are the minority.

I think people are once again failing to realize that LEGO sets are designed for children first. My three year old son loves bugs and I can see these doing quite well. I enjoy the variety lately and LEGO likes to mix it up for kids. Mummies, monsters, aliens, ninjas, dragons...whatever. The majority of these sets are designed for kids. We are the minority.

Fully realize that ages 6-12 are the main demographic for Lego. That will never change. Fortunately for us, the minority, Lego has chosen to make UCS, Large Scale Models, Modulars, etc. The sets that I would say many on here are looking to make their most money on. Lego will always be smart enough to cater to the AFOL crowd as well because, like you have said many times, we are the ones with the $$$.

I'm not saying I won't end up buying some of those sets I talked down to, because I have a 6 year old that thinks way differently than me. He see Ninjago and says cool, I see Town Hall and say cool.

Good point Ed. I agree first and foremost Lego is designing for kids, not us collectors. I personally am looking forward to the Lone Ranger sets. If that's the only way i'm getting a Western theme than so be it.

The Lone Ranger movie will generate a lot of interest in Cowboys and Indians and Westerns once again. I look forward to it and kids will love it. They will make for awesome LEGO sets.

I know everyone has their own tastes and certain things that flip their boat. If everyone liked the same thing, life would be rather dull now, wouldn't it? My problem is when people call the things they do not like "dumb" or "stupid" or (my personal favorite) "crap". Just because you do not like something, does not mean you have to put it down so harsely. There is a difference between someone saying "that doesn't interest me" to "I think that's stupid crap". Of course, what LEGO makes are meant for a younger age group, or atleast people that still have on open & active imagination. That even includes the modulars, despite what most may think. The only thing keeping that few thousand piece set out of a kids (and the average persons) hand is the price, but since when is the child doing the buying? You put a Modular "Fire Brigade" in front of your child and he/she will have a blast! (Building or playing.) I get it that just about everyone here is only looking at LEGO sets as dollar signs (it feels that way), so you only buy what you believe will earn the most gains. Fine. But don't put down everything else as "crap". Didn't we just have a theme that everybody thought was "stupid"? Then when it oddly increased in value, even before the first run of sets went "end-of-line", suddenly investors scrambled to have these big winners! What was it again? Something to do with....ninjas? Hmm, for a series that many considered "stupid", it did pretty dang good. So who's "stupid" now? With all these negative remarks against GALAXY SQUAD (a theme we still haven't even seen yet) or LEGENDS OF CHIMA, I'm going to laugh my ass off when they go down same the road that NINJAGO has!

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw that news feed for the GALAXY SQUAD minifigures, as well as the LEGENDS OF CHIMA ones.

Very, very, cool. I love the 'ladyhawk' and 'red beetle guy' minifigs so far. I'm wondering if we will get to see what the 'good guys' for GALAXY SQUAD will look like before next year. I kept thinking they will be the Series 7 "Galaxy Patrol" minifigure, just with different colors & printing basically. After seeing the Series 9 "Alien Trooper", now I'm not so sure.

• 2 months later...

This looks like a theme with a one or two year run, and looks just like the other space themes. *blah*

Well, we do know that there will be two waves of GALAXY SQUAD sets this year. Nothing about next year. I don't think there will be anything new past this year honestly. GALAXY SQUAD will have a run similiar to POWER MINERS I think. (That had only two waves as well.)

The Lone Ranger movie will generate a lot of interest in Cowboys and Indians and Westerns once again. I look forward to it and kids will love it. They will make for awesome LEGO sets.

Prince of Perisa had a movie, and a highly rated video game series to back it up, and it didn't fair so well in the investment world. The western theme resleased in the 90's was a great theme, and those sets still do well on the secondary market. I too wish they would do another non-licensed western theme. When I think of the Lone Ranger, I picture my parents crowded around their black and white tv in the 1950's, watching the original series. I am 35 years old, and for some reason this theme just doesn't appeal to me, either as an investment or to collect. Maybe kids will see it differently, seeing as Johnny Depp will be Tonto. He has done extremely well as Captain Jack Sparrow, which might help explain why the POTC line has done well, but then again, how many young kids these days will even make that connection? This one I plan on taking a wait and see approach before committing.

Prince of Perisa had a movie, and a highly rated video game series to back it up, and it didn't fair so well in the investment world. The western theme resleased in the 90's was a great theme, and those sets still do well on the secondary market. I too wish they would do another non-licensed western theme. When I think of the Lone Ranger, I picture my parents crowded around their black and white tv in the 1950's, watching the original series. I am 35 years old, and for some reason this theme just doesn't appeal to me, either as an investment or to collect. Maybe kids will see it differently, seeing as Johnny Depp will be Tonto. He has done extremely well as Captain Jack Sparrow, which might help explain why the POTC line has done well, but then again, how many young kids these days will even make that connection? This one I plan on taking a wait and see approach before committing.

Prince of Persia moved sucked...Nuff said. LOL. Movie LEGO themed sets are a crap shoot. STAR WARS/HARRY POTTER...Great...Prince of Persia/Toy Story...Not so great.

Movie LEGO themed sets are a crap shoot. STAR WARS/HARRY POTTER...Great...Prince of Persia/Toy Story...Not so great.

I think it's difficult to try and make the transition from one medium to another sometimes.

"Toy Story" and "Cars" were great movies, but the LEGO products not so much.

I only bought some CARS sets because of the tire 'rims'. Maybe some other odd parts I suppose.

And the only TOY STORY sets under my belt is a bunch of the "Army Men on Patrol" set.

I'm sure fellow builders can see why. It's the closest we'll ever get to an official 'army guy' from LEGO.

It all depends on how they design the models. For me, I don't like a lot of specialized large pieces because it waters down the set and seems to drive the price up as well, making it worth even less in the long run because nobody wants it. This is why I never got into the alien theme from years back. Lego definitely needs a good space theme reboot with actual lego people. I have to say that I didn't really like the way they brought back the space police. Again, I felt it was watered down. Perhaps that's what the kids want these days and that's fine, but I've noticed it doesn't do much for long term worth. Let's do something like the old ice plant or spyrius theme. All I know is that the only space sets that I have felt are worth buying are some of the star wars sets. This is purely from build/display perspective though, not so much investing, but I've noticed over the years that those two things tend to coincide.

All I know is that the only space sets that I have felt are worth buying are some of the star wars sets.

I have to agree in general, although I did like the Earth Defense HQ set from the last space theme, I thought you got a lot of great parts and playability from that set as it was often $75 or less.

I'm not finding any love for the new Galaxy Squad, can't see a single set that I like a lot. I think the best set is the Vermin Vaporizer as I like the grey and green lines on the vehicle and the mech that can land in the vehicle, but I still dislike flick missiles and I wouldn't touch this set until it hits $40 or less.

I don't think much of the human minifigs, the aliens are a little better, but nothing special.