3061 - City Park Cafe

c666187

Quick opinion Boo.....What are your feelings on the Flying Club? I know it's a done deal, but doesn't seem as popular as the animal sets. I've stocked up a few of these and know where there are more, but not sure I want any more. Just curious.

I'm with Bold on this one--it's the only set with a plane. Why Stephanie, a high school student, has a flying license is beyond me, but all kidding aside, because this set was a WM exclusive, I get the feeling that it's "flown" under the radar. Perhaps test panels have shown that girls are more into horses and could care less about planes, so Lego has abandoned the idea of pursuing this particular theme (although I do see a private jet as a possibility in the future...Barbie and Hello Kitty have one). However, to the future adult collector of Friends, the HL Flying Club is going to be a must have. Girls may want horses and more horses, but the adult collector is gonna want every set ever released. First year releases will be a must-have. And because this one has flown under the radar, they're going to be harder to find.

I'm may not be your Boo, but buy buy buy especially at 14.59$.Sizzling hot set. Only one with a plane. Enough said

LOL

Lol.. If you can still find them @ WM, do an S2S and pick them up for the online price. In case their inventory system is messed I would try to have it PM with website price but its a YMMV. ( you probably will be able to squeeze atleast 40$ on the set though so I would grab them regardless.)

Bold-- so are you saying you can get a lower price if you do S2S? Confused...

Bold-- so are you saying you can get a lower price if you do S2S? Confused...

The instore price is 19.99, the online price is 14.59. WM.com is OOS and it is safe to say for good, so the only way to get the online price is to do a S2S IF you can still find it instore ( I cleaned 3 WM doing it like that after Christmas).

Lately their online inventory is all messed up, you can try to do a PM at the register but it is a YMMV

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have found a few of these at Walmart lately... at a couple different stores.  They look brand new, like they just got them in.  Anyone else?  I don't recall the price... seems like it was high retail ($30 - $40)... worth it at $30?  Their own website has an out-of-stock price at $24... they'll probably price match that.

I have found a few of these at Walmart lately... at a couple different stores.  They look brand new, like they just got them in.  Anyone else?  I don't recall the price... seems like it was high retail ($30 - $40)... worth it at $30?  Their own website has an out-of-stock price at $24... they'll probably price match that.

These aren't moving very well, maybe $50 - $60 shipped.  Probably not worth picking up.

• Like 1

I can only surmise these are oddlings in the system being found at random like a worker coming across "Oh, didn't know this was still back here". Nevertheless this late in the game from a retailer seems like a poor choice to have the item sit at retail let alone increase the price taking up space which could be better used towards anything else. Anyway I guess interest may be waning if these are slow to move with all the new stuff about or perhaps now isn't a great time to offload these. The original MSRP of $35 was rather high in my opinion.

Actually, I see these fairly regularly at WMs in my area.  It's not every store, but they have been there since before they went EOL and have sat at $39.97 every since.  I scan them every time hoping that eventually the stores will clear them out, but have yet to find any on sale.  The same thing is happening with the Emma Karate set.  They did finally clearance Mia's Magic Tricks, but that took them forever to drop in price.

I must be in the minority, because I always thought this was one of the best sets. It's like a mini version of one of those Creator store fronts. Very well designed, as easy to play with as it is to display. I only have one in my collection, which I built and intend to keep for always, but I've always regretted not picking up several more to stow away for investment purposes.

• Like 1

I must be in the minority, because I always thought this was one of the best sets. It's like a mini version of one of those Creator store fronts. Very well designed, as easy to play with as it is to display. I only have one in my collection, which I built and intend to keep for always, but I've always regretted not picking up several more to stow away for investment purposes.

Great set, it just doesn't sell well, yet.

Actually, I see these fairly regularly at WMs in my area. It's not every store, but they have been there since before they went EOL and have sat at $39.97 every since. I scan them every time hoping that eventually the stores will clear them out, but have yet to find any on sale. The same thing is happening with the Emma Karate set. They did finally clearance Mia's Magic Tricks, but that took them forever to drop in price.

Sometimes I wonder if certain Walmarts just end up sending their unsold stock to the other ones like "well this isn't working, give it to the other guy to deal with". Ha. I haven't seen any of those in a while but I do recall the Karate Class set sticking around for a long time. Just the other day I did find a single Mia's Magic Tricks tossed in the clearance aisle a couple bucks shy from half off.

Right on, sister.
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Friends is like "CITY" for girls, hardly worth bothering with. I can't even shift the Pet Salons that I bought at -50%, not even a break-even for cash! I personally think you are paying for the pretty colours of the bricks rather than the amount of ABS plastic.

Friends is like "CITY" for girls, hardly worth bothering with. I can't even shift the Pet Salons that I bought at -50%, not even a break-even for cash! I personally think you are paying for the pretty colours of the bricks rather than the amount of ABS plastic.

Too soon, too soon, too soon to say. One day Lego is going to retire the Friends line, and that's when these sets are going to go up in value. If you're looking for a quick flip, it's becoming more and more apparent that you should leave Friends alone.

Meanwhile I'm getting $130 for Heartlake Vets. Pet salon will do great if your patient. Of the non exclusive stuff I have made the most on Friends.

Guest TabbyBoy

Meanwhile I'm getting $130 for Heartlake Vets. Pet salon will do great if your patient. Of the non exclusive stuff I have made the most on Friends.

I also did well out of the Heartlake Vets (sold for 3x) and the Dolphin Cruisers during their first Xmas (sold for 2.5x). However, the initial heat seems to have gone out of the theme IMHO as none of the new sets are particularly groundbreaking. Even the Summer Riding Camp is staying on the John Lewis shelf after being discounted to

Guest TabbyBoy

Too soon, too soon, too soon to say. One day Lego is going to retire the Friends line, and that's when these sets are going to go up in value. If you're looking for a quick flip, it's becoming more and more apparent that you should leave Friends alone.

I've had them for over 18 months and no return during that time is bad business for me as I used to easily flip -50% sets but, not now. The new Vet Clinic is probably close enough to harm values of older, similar sets. I'm never buying Friends again and I'll be glad when I offload what I have. In the early days, there were men scouring the pick/purple aisle in TRU and in supermarkets but, not any more. My game has changed as I now only buy "true" exclusives sold at LEGO only with the exception of modulars and UCS StarWars.

Due to the mass appeal that the Friends theme has with girls, I doubt (like CITY) that this theme will retire any time soon.

I've had them for over 18 months and no return during that time is bad business for me as I used to easily flip -50% sets but, not now. The new Vet Clinic is probably close enough to harm values of older, similar sets. I'm never buying Friends again and I'll be glad when I offload what I have. In the early days, there were men scouring the pick/purple aisle in TRU and in supermarkets but, not any more. My game has changed as I now only buy "true" exclusives sold at LEGO only with the exception of modulars and UCS StarWars.

Due to the mass appeal that the Friends theme has with girls, I doubt (like CITY) that this theme will retire any time soon.

Yeah the time for quick flip Friends sets is over. The market is just saturated now. I'd have to disagree about Lego not retiring the Friends line at some point. They're going to move on as girl trends change. I still see Friends as niche and City as mass appeal. They're not on the same level.

If my kids want these, used lots are really affordable. I got this with another set, worked out to under $10 a set and had all the pieces

Friends sell well in bundles and at xmas. Pair this with a $13 WM pet salon at xmas and you will do fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

This thing was the first cafe / shop in Friends line.  The 2nd wave introduced many variations of the the same thing and immediately devalued this set, IMHO. This was exactly why I did not go to the many variations of shops from the 2nd wave (and beyond) either.  YMMV, etc. etc

Edited by Darth_Raichu

Guest TabbyBoy

@Boo... Another threat to the Friends theme is the BELA brand sold by Alibaba. I bought a set out of curiosity and found that the quality was in fact very good. The fit is a little better than Mega Bloks (not quite up to LEGO's standards) but the colour consistency was better than LEGO. An set that is copied whether illegally (or legally in China) is one to avoid IMHO.

Friends is puzzling for me as after Christmas when all the Lego was cleared out the Friends section was still rather stocked.  My 5 year old seems to prefer the Friends line much more than the Disney Princess one basically because you get more blocks for your money.  As for selling them on ebay they seem to sell about the fastest of any line I list.

I'd have to disagree about Lego not retiring the Friends line at some point. They're going to move on as girl trends change. I still see Friends as niche and City as mass appeal. They're not on the same level.

After all the time devoted towards proper research by the LEGO Company, I would find it difficult to see the Friends line be retired although I can see it being essentially 'replaced' with an updated motif. Now I shan't be a fool to say it will never happen. I am only considering how well their efforts have been in creating designs girls would actually enjoy instead of before with Belville or Paradisa making builds the company thought girls would like. Friends just hit the mark on a number of levels by comparison to the prior lines as well.

Agreeably Friends can be seen more as niche area whereas City is universal but it is a nice niche. Anywho, I'm still collecting these and lovin' them. ^_^