9516 - Jabba's Palace

Brick625

how come set 9515 & 9516 is not for sale on lego.com?

just wondering cause i saw it for sale on amazon

Great question...I don't have an answer for you. I know that some stores have exclusive sets at times, but I don't think the 9515 and 9516 are exclusive to Amazon. Amazon is a great place to buy LEGO sets if you are a PRIME member and get FREE SHIPPING. Also, in the US, there is not sales tax on items bought out of state, so that could be another advantage for some Amazon buyers.

I was wondering why any of new Star Wars sets aren't up yet.

The only problem I have with Amazon is that they don't always do the best job of packaging items. I got 4 Desert Skiffs and a Jabba's Palace and only 2 of the boxes weren't crushed. It's not a big deal as I'm breaking them up and flipping them right now, but when I buy them to put away I'll use Lego.com or go to the store and pick them out myself.

The Lego VIP program almost pays for the cost of taxes in the end, and every delivery I've gotten from them has arrived perfectly.

I was wondering why any of new Star Wars sets aren't up yet.

The only problem I have with Amazon is that they don't always do the best job of packaging items. I got 4 Desert Skiffs and a Jabba's Palace and only 2 of the boxes weren't crushed. It's not a big deal as I'm breaking them up and flipping them right now, but when I buy them to put away I'll use Lego.com or go to the store and pick them out myself.

The Lego VIP program almost pays for the cost of taxes in the end, and every delivery I've gotten from them has arrived perfectly.

Amazon has issues with packaging LEGO sets at times, but their hassle free returns is the best in the business and their prices are the best in the business at times. I had a Modular Pet Shop damaged because the shipping box was too big and they sent out a new one immediately and picked up the old one at my house.

The trick with Amazon.com is to maximize all the discounts. If you are a member of Amazon Prime, you get free 2 day shipping on most items. If you use their credit card, you get 3% back on all Amazon purchases. Combine that with no tax in some states and their low price and you have an excellent merchant to but your LEGO sets from.

LEGO sales is based on inventory not on what other online merchants are doing that is why 9515 & 9516 is not on sale at LEGO.com. Items go on sale at LEGO when they are planning to discontinue them and have overstocks. 9515 & 9516 on sale is basically used as a lost leader by Amazon. In order to generate sales LEGO normally offer exclusives that you can only get when you purchase a certain amount of certain sets. How many of us went and spent some money at the LEGO store or online to get the 5000022 Hulk?

LEGO sales is based on inventory not on what other online merchants are doing that is why 9515 & 9516 is not on sale at LEGO.com. Items go on sale at LEGO when they are planning to discontinue them and have overstocks. 9515 & 9516 on sale is basically used as a lost leader by Amazon. In order to generate sales LEGO normally offer exclusives that you can only get when you purchase a certain amount of certain sets. How many of us went and spent some money at the LEGO store or online to get the 5000022 Hulk?

Hey Jack...Quick question....These are brand new sets and they are not discounted on Amazon, just being sold at MSRP. I would think LEGO.com would sell them first. Why doesn't LEGO have them for sale yet? Thanks...

Nice posts by the way...

For corporate accounts they get their stock in a few weeks sometimes a month before the release dates. This has to be done for logistic reasons. Imagine trying to stock all the Walmarts at the same time for the same release date. They all have seals on them that say do not put on store shelves until certain dates, but LEGO can't really stop them once the stock is in someone else's hand. This is why you see items being sold all the time before LEGO does. It make very good business sense for Amazon to do it. Look at all the buzz and free advertising all the LEGO fan sites are doing for them for these SW sets. We see the same thing happen all the time with other products, remember what happened when someone release the Harry Potter books a few days early.

For corporate accounts they get their stock in a few weeks sometimes a month before the release dates. This has to be done for logistic reasons. Imagine trying to stock all the Walmarts at the same time for the same release date. They all have seals on them that say do not put on store shelves until certain dates, but LEGO can't really stop them once the stock is in someone else's hand. This is why you see items being sold all the time before LEGO does. It make very good business sense for Amazon to do it. Look at all the buzz and free advertising all the LEGO fan sites are doing for them for these SW sets. We see the same thing happen all the time with other products, remember what happened when someone release the Harry Potter books a few days early.

Now I understand. Excellent point. Thanks.

The prices LEGO set for all retailers is just a suggested retail price so it will really depend on Amazon. However for these two sets they both have MSRP of $119.99 so looks like they will be the same price as LEGO.com when it comes out. You do get free shipping with Amazon, but you get VIP points with LEGO and sometimes exclusive stuff. I hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, A shop in my country is discounting the set almost 50% from Retail (108$ instead of ~200$, yeah, go Europe) so I'm thinking of picking up 2. I was just wondering what everyone thought about it? Good returns once eol? I'm thinking yes since it's a key scene/character + the set has a lot of minifigs. I'm guessing I can't go wrong with it.

I definitely think its going to be a good set to invest in. I'm in the us and I think the 119.99 price is too high but after your Europe pricing I guess I can't complain. I do think if you can get it on sale or maybe even on clearance if your lucky, it will be a great investment. I have a few of the original ones and this one is so much better. The minifigs are also very good in this set.....

I'm planning on grabbing a few if/when I can grab them around 25% or more off. Pretty cool minifigs, buildings itself doesn't look that substantial, but being able to attach the Rancor Pit is pretty cool. I'll probably get one of each just for myself to build.

Jabba's Palace will be a winner, I have no doubt about it. There are just too many good mini figs for this one to fail. With Star Wars getting new press since signing with Disney, SW sets will still be winners for years to come. Besides, we're talking about a movie franchise that debuted in the 1970's. I think it's safe to say that it has withstood the test of time. :)

I'm not entirely sure about this one being a winner. The RRP is too high in the US and worse here (A$199 or US$219 equivalent). Sure there are cool minifigs BUT proof might be on the store shelves. Every store I visited here after Christmas did NOT have much Star Wars left except there were a TON of Jabba's Palaces. It's just not selling in Australia. One local retailer has discounted it down to A$129. No one wants it compared to the Falcon etc. I bought one NIB from a flea market. Otherwise I wouldn't pay retail for it. If you like the OT and minifigs, I'd go for it. Otherwise, I'm not sure if it will be a 'good' investment. You're better off investing in a set that's retiring (Medieval Market, trying to find a UCS 10212 Imperial shuttle for a little bit more $$$).

I think this set is a bit under the radar for most people. It's not a UCS set, so some people just ignore it. And yes, there probably are plenty on the shelves, because most parents aren't shelling out $120 for it. But it's a beautiful, well-done set of an iconic part of the SW galaxy. I think this will be a great one come EOL.

I think this set is a bit under the radar for most people. It's not a UCS set, so some people just ignore it. And yes, there probably are plenty on the shelves, because most parents aren't shelling out $120 for it.

But it's a beautiful, well-done set of an iconic part of the SW galaxy. I think this will be a great one come EOL.

THIS!!

Those are some excellent points guys!! I also agree with the fact that it is still a newer set and the price is at a level where alot of people are just not buying it, but once it does become EOL you will definitely see a spike in interest. It's just too iconic of a set not to show appreciation on the after market....and don't forget, once it goes EOL and people start buying the rancor set, they will be looking for the palace to complete the entire scene....

I don't know that it is fair to compare the Imperial Shuttle with Jabba's Palace. Other than both being Star Wars sets, the similarities stop there. The prices are dramatically different (as already mentioned,) one is pretty much going EOL and the other is fairly new and widely available, one is mini figure heavy, the other is not. Of the two, Imperial Shuttle is the one to grab now. Jabba's Palace will have it's day in the sun. It is true that JP is still commonly found on shelves, but it is also selling very well. I am in and out of Targets constantly, and that set is always moving. The other thing to consider is that a lot of these bigger $100 range sets typically do well later because not everybody had the money to spend on them while they were readily available. Plus, whenever you get a set for around $100 that has nine minifigures, you are pretty safe. If the set as a whole loses market value, you will always be able to sell the mini figures and recoup a lot of your investment.

I don't know that it is fair to compare the Imperial Shuttle with Jabba's Palace. Other than both being Star Wars sets, the similarities stop there. The prices are dramatically different (as already mentioned,) one is pretty much going EOL and the other is fairly new and widely available, one is mini figure heavy, the other is not. Of the two, Imperial Shuttle is the one to grab now. Jabba's Palace will have it's day in the sun. It is true that JP is still commonly found on shelves, but it is also selling very well. I am in and out of Targets constantly, and that set is always moving. The other thing to consider is that a lot of these bigger $100 range sets typically do well later because not everybody had the money to spend on them while they were readily available.

Plus, whenever you get a set for around $100 that has nine minifigures, you are pretty safe. If the set as a whole loses market value, you will always be able to sell the mini figures and recoup a lot of your investment.

Excellent points