79002 - Attack of the Wargs

I really want this set so much. The Wargs are the biggest selling point for me, they're just wicked! Nice minifigs and I always need more parts the likes from that tree. $50 is more than what I am willing to pay, so I'll wait for a future sale on this. Maybe $10 or more off and I will be a happy camper. I'm sure that LEGO will include a couple of Wargs in something else in the near future. It would make no sense for them to make a brand new mold for those just to only stick them into this one set.

I really want this set so much. The Wargs are the biggest selling point for me, they're just wicked!

Nice minifigs and I always need more parts the likes from that tree.

$50 is more than what I am willing to pay, so I'll wait for a future sale on this. Maybe $10 or more off and I will be a happy camper. I'm sure that LEGO will include a couple of Wargs in something else in the near future. It would make no sense for them to make a brand new mold for those just to only stick them into this one set.

I got one for 38$. This set, like goblin king, goes on sale pretty often. Be patient. I'm sure you will find it for cheaper than I did without much waiting.

That sale likely happened on the infamous Walmart non-bundle bundle sale they had a few weeks ago that misled a lot of people, I think they are still offering the "non-bundle" bundle but basically at retail prices. Basically, it misled people into thinking they were getting riddles for the ring when in fact it was a bundle for one set only. I've never heard of calling something a bundle when there is only one thing but thats for us to get confused about.

That sale likely happened on the infamous Walmart non-bundle bundle sale they had a few weeks ago that misled a lot of people, I think they are still offering the "non-bundle" bundle but basically at retail prices. Basically, it misled people into thinking they were getting riddles for the ring when in fact it was a bundle for one set only. I've never heard of calling something a bundle when there is only one thing but thats for us to get confused about.

Naw, Just stacked a 10% and a 15% off coupon at fred meyer is where I picked up attack of the wargs (i think...its been a little while). It was pretty shortly after the set was released (actually I think they put them on the shelf early) and I just picked up 1 since it was the first decent sale I saw. I have seen this set on sale since then. I'm sure you will find it cheaper if you wait. It seems to be one that goes on sale frequently...unlike unexpected gathering...

I did get my escape from the spiders set for 21$ and some change in that wallmart 1 set bundle deal you are mentioning though...It wasn't that misleading, it only put 1 set in the window when you selected it...and in your cart. Still a decent price anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

This looks like a cool set especially with the Wargs. At 49 bucks is it a set that anyone thinks will appreciate nicely? I'll probably get one to build. Looks nice. Price point might be a little high. What does everyone think?

Positive stuff?

- It is the ending fight of HOBBIT movie

- It has decent display value

- it has wargs and army building stuff

Negative

- Price point obviously

- not enough army building troops

- nothing truly iconic (I mean it is a tree!)

Bottom line is this set will appreciate nicely IF

- LEGO does not release another similar set with Wargs (and even worse if that other set will have less minifigures that are bad for army building)

- LEGO does not gives out wargs inside any smaller set

- Only version of Yazneg?

My though: I would instantly buy it for 49$ but that is because I am living in Europe and 50$ means 35

amazon had it for 38.99 a week ago i bought it then i can only think of maybe one or two places in the lotr movies where you se warg riders so unless the make they one of those scenes or release a battle pack with a warg i'm not seeing more wargsin the future

Have a friend who got this set for Christmas and the wargs are pretty awesome I just wish LEGO didn't give Thoran, Fili and Kili the same hear piece and I don't know why LEGO put Yazneg in the set I mean he's dead by that scene in the movie and its Azog that rides the white warg but I bet LEGO wants to save him for the next wave of sets.

I really think this set is awesome. It may be one of my favorite boxes to date. Just personally love the cover. Price wise.... its a little rough. Surely you can pick it up at a later date for a better price. I will probably continue to bid on auctions on ebay until I get it at the "right price". Also I think for all of the Hobbit series you will really see some of these first sets start to shine in 24 months or so. Remember the first LotR was good but 2&3 were great. After watching tge first set of movies I can deffinitely see similarities between fellowship and Hobbit 1. Only the 3rd movie broke $1 billion in theatres. Expect a rinse and repeat. Regards, Cody

I think the fact that The Hobbit just crossed over $1 billion worldwide recently is a good thing for the investment potential of a theme.

Yeah but to be fair.... they had 3D to skew the numbers.

Still agree with your point though, long run Hobbit will be a winner (some Hobbit sets).

Regards,

Cody

This set is a great winner if you already have stocked up on 79003's, after that, the wargs and thorin will help it do well later on, in addition to the points already mentioned. The bricks in this set are excellent for moc'ers and even if other sets are released down the road with similar characters, this should at least prevent it from being devalued. There have been several sales for this set, just be patient, I would target $35-40 as a good price point.

I doubt it will be a big winner compared to Helms Deep, Pirate Ambush, and Unexpected Gathering. That said, if you can get it at 20% off or greater and it doesn't negate your investment in any of the above "big 3" then by all means fire away. I don't think you're going to lose money investing in any LOTR/Hobbit sets as long as you pick the right entry point and can comfortably hold onto them for a few years and wait for them to appreciate.

Much will depend on how many times Lego reuses the warg figures in future sets. If we don't see them again this set could be a sleeper. I'd bet we get a warg riders vs. Rohirrim from The Two Towers battle set though sometime in the next two years.

Exactly, hence the attack of the wargs is 50:50

I think it will stop around 1,5x retail

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...