4184 - The Black Pearl

sgoldham

No guarantees but ships usually do well and since this was out for only a year the odds are decent. You can pick one up on sale right now at a few places. The prices have dropped from original list but that generally happens right at or near the EOL. I've got a couple and have one more on the way. You never know how it will go but POTC have quite a following.

No guarantees but ships usually do well and since this was out for only a year the odds are decent. You can pick one up on sale right now at a few places. The prices have dropped from original list but that generally happens right at or near the EOL. I've got a couple and have one more on the way. You never know how it will go but POTC have quite a following.

Excellent points. The Amazon.com Deal for the 4184 Black Pearl is a very good one. I don't think the Black Pearl will be as popular as the Queen Anne's Revenge, but at $82, that is a very fair price for a well done model that will have a very good chance of appreciating when retired.

I'm loving on the Black Pearl, I think this one will be a big winner. I've been hitting the streets and picked up a bunch on clearance for and AMZ for $70-80. I also got lucky enough to find a Queen Anne for $80. That one has been much harder to find on sale. The only problem is I REALLY want to open a Black Pearl and display it! Maybe when I get moved into my new place it can join a few others on the shelf (ok, shelves).

I'm loving on the Black Pearl, I think this one will be a big winner. I've been hitting the streets and picked up a bunch on clearance for and AMZ for $70-80. I also got lucky enough to find a Queen Anne for $80. That one has been much harder to find on sale.

The only problem is I REALLY want to open a Black Pearl and display it! Maybe when I get moved into my new place it can join a few others on the shelf (ok, shelves).

Yes! Love that set! Good deal at Amazon.

The Black Pearl has a few things going for it over Queen Ann. The minifigures are AWESOME. I sold Davy Jones for 25 buck! And the other figs for not much cheaper. I have 2 MISB BP and 1MISB QAR that I'm holding on to but the minifigs is whats selling this EOL theme, IMO.

It's crazy what people will pay for a minifig when they can have the whole set for a little more money.

Well it's no longer Sold Out on LEGO Shop at Home. They've been doing this a lot lately, showing things sold out and then later changing it back to just Out of Stock. So it appears it hasn't reached its EOL. Still some great deals out there on it as mentioned by others in the string.

Well it's no longer Sold Out on LEGO Shop at Home. They've been doing this a lot lately, showing things sold out and then later changing it back to just Out of Stock. So it appears it hasn't reached its EOL.

Still some great deals out there on it as mentioned by others in the string.

LEGO likes to tweak the sold out/out of stock info. I think they know that fans watch that and get excited when they see 'sold out' and go search other online sites to buy them before they go up in price. Either that or they are just slow at updating their site.

As much as I'd love to get my hands on both POTC ships, I have some unfinished business with Harry Potter's Hogwarts Castle and the Unimog truck, they are at really, really good prices in amazon.es.

Once I get done there, I'll try to go for these.

Yeah yeah, whatever... I got the 2 POTC ships before any of the ones I mentioned above.

• 4 months later...

I was at my local Walley World and in the clearance isle there was a lone POC Black Pearl. I went to a price checker and BUMMER--it was still full price. First question is how many of you would buy it at full retail if you saw it on the shelf? Second question is does it make sense to anybody that an item that no longer is normally stocked and in the clearance isle is full price? Where I'm going with this is has anybody had this happen and talk to a manager to get it changed to clearance pricing. Muchas gracias in advance and buenos nachos.

To answer your first question... I would buy a Black Pearl for $99.99 in a heartbeat. I usually don't like to speak for other people, but I think I can speak for most people on this site when I say that. The only time you don't want to pay full retail is when the set is widely available, and might still see discounts. The Black Pearl is all but officially retired at this point. To see one on a shelf at all is a total anomaly. So yes, pay retail and feel blessed that you found one at all. It is sure to be a money maker. Second question... I encountered this the other day too, also at Walmart. They had a 9468 Vampyre Castle in the clearance aisle, priced at $99.97. I agree with you that an argument could be made that the price should be reduced to consider it clearance. Hard to say if you should take it up with a manager or not. I think that one is a personal preference and depends what kind of personality you have. If you are a haggler by nature, then go for it. If not, that's fine too. But the bottom line is this... if you can find a Black Pearl for $99.99, consider yourself fortunate and pick it up without giving it a second thought.

I have three walmarts in my area. One of them has had about 10 Batcaves in their "clearance" section since the day after Christmas, all at regular retail. The price tag is red, and all of them have tag that says "clearance" taped (gasp! taped!) to them. I have been stopping in every other day or so to check on them, waiting for the inevitable markdown that you would think would accompany a clearance item. They have not sold a single one at that price since the day after Christmas when they first appeared over there. The last time I was in I asked one of their minions about it and she wanted nothing to do with me. I explained that they have been sitting in the "clearance" section for over three weeks at regular retail and they haven't sold any (they can verify this with their scan guns). I asked why it is still at regular retail if it is considered clearance, and she gave me some line of BS that "it's a corporate thing" and "corporate controls all of their markdowns". I know this isn't true because I was an assistant manager at Sam's Club for over 11 years, and each location has the ability to create their own markdowns. Next time I am in I will ask for a manager. If they would bring them down to $40-$45 each I would ****** them all up.

This could even be a miscommunication/misunderstanding on the part of Walmart employees. I learned an interesting thing the other day (there is a post about it somewhere on here.) A red tag at Walmart does not actually denote something as clearance. It officially means "deleted item." Once the stock on hand is gone, there will be no re-stocking it. Employees might see the red tag and mistakenly move it to the clearance aisle. Just an idea, could be way off on this part. But yeah, items with red tags in the clearance aisle should definitely have some kind of markdown. It is confusing and misleading when they don't.