4184 - The Black Pearl

sgoldham

Quick Example I just sold a lego set on Ebay, The Price was $229.99 The Paypal fee was $6.97 the Ebay Final Value Fee was $16.30, and a few more Dollars to List it. I always Put it in the Gallery, Bold Letters, check UK, and always list it during the week and have the Auction end around 9-11 pm eastern time. Ed

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Obviously it is a good price :)  just be sure it is 100% sealed.   new 4184s sell between $210 - $280.  i think it might start slowing down around $325  You still have the QAR and Imperial Flagship out there as "competition".  Additionally, there is a new ship coming out for Lego the Movie.  If the latter ship is another 2-1 Creator-like set, there's another ship for buyers to consider.

I just built a used 4184 last week w/ my son and owned the Imperial Flagship (awesome ship).  The Black Pearl is still more "toy-like" while other ships are more like models.  I have not cracked open one of my QAR sets yet.

note: it wouldn't surprise me if Lego and Disney do a smaller license for the next PotC movie that included a Black Pearl refresh. Their relationship is growing and Lego AFOLs / KFOLs love pirate ships. I know the last movie wasn't "great" and sets were usually in the clearance aisles. However, there's always a chance...

Not sure if its worth picking up but i can get a black pearl for $130. brickpicker shows value at $200. Will this still go up? 

• Like 1

I can see the ceiling for it being as high as $300-$350 or so in a couple more years. If we don`t see another pirate theme for longer, it could be even more. At that price, buy, no questions needed to be asked. You`ve made a solid return already, and it`s only going to keep going up. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I can see the ceiling for it being as high as $300-$350 or so in a couple more years. If we don`t see another pirate theme for longer, it could be even more. At that price, buy, no questions needed to be asked. You`ve made a solid return already, and it`s only going to keep going up. 

Seems you may have nailed this one @rtisan. Seems the most recent final ebay sales on this are right around that 300-350 range, just a little earlier than many expected. What is everyone's thoughts on this set now?  I picked one up off Bricklink (best deal I could find in Canada) but I had to have one to keep mint. 

• Like 1

Seems you may have nailed this one @rtisan. Seems the most recent final ebay sales on this are right around that 300-350 range, just a little earlier than many expected. What is everyone's thoughts on this set now?  I picked one up off Bricklink (best deal I could find in Canada) but I had to have one to keep mint. 

Haha, it`s happens once and a while, though admittedly not as often as I`de like haha. If it`s hit that high already, I`d say it will go up a bit more then settle. It`s already a great return, 300%, awesome! 

I can see the ceiling for it being as high as $300-$350 or so in a couple more years. If we don`t see another pirate theme for longer, it could be even more.

I think the 2015 pirate theme will help the 2011 PotC ships to gaine some value, because it will wake people's interest in pirate ships. :)

It also seems that there will just be 1 pirate ship in 2015, so kids and AFOLs will want some more... (even more if its design is quite disappointing)

Edited by biniou