Castle 2013

TheOrcKing

Alcarin,

I own almost the whole kingdoms line and have nothing against it... I'm just trying to point out the positives of the new line. Also your pictures are of a dragon knight standing army, while your second picture has one lone axeman that is not the most decorated soldier. The Red Dragon Knight and his horse from the gatehouse raid are far more decorated than your minifigures in the second picture.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=70402-1

If you are so into the old castle sets then you will notice that the new lion knight shield is almost identical to the old Royal Knights shield.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6008-1

I agree that the forest ambush isn't a true battle pack, but it is a good source to get more troops (and more dogs). Also the old battle packs were not as widely available as the new ones are.

I'm just trying to point out the positives of the new line. Also your pictures are of a dragon knight standing army, while your second picture has one lone axeman that is not the most decorated soldier. The Red Dragon Knight and his horse from the gatehouse raid are far more decorated than your minifigures in the second picture.

http://www.brickset....il/?Set=70402-1

That horseman is the only good looking figure in the whole line , and horse barding and new horse mold has alot to do with the rating (and helmet)

If you are so into the old castle sets then you will notice that the new lion knight shield is almost identical to the old Royal Knights shield.

http://www.brickset....ail/?Set=6008-1

Unfortunately that is correct! These Lion Kings from the 90s were one of my kiddo years personally worst soldier designs ever (I used Black Knights everytime!)

I agree that the forest ambush isn't a true battle pack, but it is a good source to get more troops (and more dogs). Also the old battle packs were not as widely available as the new ones are.

Cant say much about that ;) 

With LOTR and Hobbit lines going on I see 0 usage to buy these since their display value is poor at best compared to Helm's Deep or Unexpected Gathering... 

It might be MOCers ''paradise'' in some aspects (dog, pieces) but to me as an army building lover  I find the whole line of troops (except that horseman) totally lacking and unappealing.

I guess I just hate blue color, and the Dragon Knights design is off compared to the Kingdoms ones.

I much prefer the Kingdoms line over this line, mostly because of the color scheme, and I personally like the previous Castle Fantasy Era better than Kingdoms.  Not so much because of the dragons, but I liked the King's Castle over the Kingdoms Castle, MMV is amazing, and the dwarf sets made a great 3rd party.

Kingdoms has a nice castle, a great Joust set, and the excellent Village Raid set.  If the new Castle line comes up with some decent townsfolk sets, people will probably change their tune, but the soft blue color is hard to get around, I don't really care for it.  I am far from the demographic for this, though.  Kids may love it, though my son only looks at LotR, Hobbit, Ninjago, and some Star Wars. 

If the new Castle line comes up with some decent townsfolk sets, people will probably change their tune... 

that's what I'm curious about.  While I have nothing against blue color and the dragon - I just totally hate the design of the castle.  Unfortunately that's going to be the only big castle in the line, or am I wrong? 

I may end up buying several small sets from this series, but this far... nothing is really attractive.  Or let's say nothing that I would regret not buying several years from now when the next line comes up.  I'm not an investor, I'm just looking for some beautiful sets for myself and my kids to enjoy together :)

I much prefer the Kingdoms line over this line, mostly because of the color scheme, and I personally like the previous Castle Fantasy Era better than Kingdoms.  Not so much because of the dragons, but I liked the King's Castle over the Kingdoms Castle, MMV is amazing, and the dwarf sets made a great 3rd party.

Kingdoms has a nice castle, a great Joust set, and the excellent Village Raid set.  If the new Castle line comes up with some decent townsfolk sets, people will probably change their tune, but the soft blue color is hard to get around, I don't really care for it.  I am far from the demographic for this, though.  Kids may love it, though my son only looks at LotR, Hobbit, Ninjago, and some Star Wars. 

The Skeletons tower set was cool, but problem is to me skeletons are not minifigures :P

My son was blown away by the new castle sets.  Since he's five, he's never seen a true Lego Castle theme before, and it's now his favorite theme. 

I think comparing Kingdoms to this new Castle line is kinda apples and oranges.  Kingdoms targeted teens and, to a small extent, AFOLs.  The new Castle line is intended as a gateway theme for youngsters.  My son will not be the first or the last to swallow this bait...

It's a similar product line strategy that Lego used with Chima/Ninjago.  People that think Chima and Ninjago will be competitors when Ninjago returns are wrong.  Chima is now the gateway theme, sparking an interest in Lego with boys aged 5-10.  When they're ready, they graduate to a Ninjago theme with more mature plot lines and characters than Chima.  They each serve a different role (target a different audience) in the product line.

I can see how Castle fans may be disappointed in the look of this theme, especially ones with very high standards (here's looking at you Alcarin).  I just think people need to remember who Lego is targeting before judging the theme as "terrible".

• Like 1

I just think people need to remember who Lego is targeting before judging the theme as "terrible".

Good point about Chima and Ninjago, but then Castle is out of picture at all? Too "kiddish" for teens, not bright enough for younger kids? 

Guest eightbrick

Comparing Kingdoms to the new Castle theme is like comparing actual musicians to Justin Beiber. The same idea is behind both of them, but one is an atrocity that should have stayed in the dark hole it came out of.

Good point about Chima and Ninjago, but then Castle is out of picture at all? Too "kiddish" for teens, not bright enough for younger kids? 

I think the new Castle theme will perform its role well.  Like I said, my son loves these new Castle sets and the colors.  The bright blue is an appealing accent to younger fans, and the black/red of the enemy knights are very archetypal, which younger kids understand. 

If you want competing themes, Chima and the new Castle will likely compete for the younger Lego enthusiasts.  Just take a look at the yet-to-be-released Lion CHI Temple.  It has a similar layout to a King's Castle except with CHI fountains on it.

My son was blown away by the new castle sets. Since he's five, he's never seen a true Lego Castle theme before, and it's now his favorite theme.

I think comparing Kingdoms to this new Castle line is kinda apples and oranges. Kingdoms targeted teens and, to a small extent, AFOLs. The new Castle line is intended as a gateway theme for youngsters. My son will not be the first or the last to swallow this bait...

Thing is if you'd shown him Kingdoms first that would likely be his favorite theme... Children tend to like the first thing they see if it remotely resembles their idea and wantings...

It's a similar product line strategy that Lego used with Chima/Ninjago. People that think Chima and Ninjago will be competitors when Ninjago returns are wrong. Chima is now the gateway theme, sparking an interest in Lego with boys aged 5-10. When they're ready, they graduate to a Ninjago theme with more mature plot lines and characters than Chima. They each serve a different role (target a different audience) in the product line.

True it is, but that does not make the line better nor worse...

I can see how Castle fans may be disappointed in the look of this theme, especially ones with very high standards (here's looking at you Alcarin). I just think people need to remember who Lego is targeting before judging the theme as "terrible".

Medieval Market Village, Mill Village Raid and Helm's Deep are 3 sets that perfectly satisfy my standards in LEGO terms... Bring more of those and I would never be disappointed :P

Thing is I think it doesnt matter who LEGO is targeting, set can be judged since you dont need to have an ID card of ''below 10 to be able to put the castle theme at the checkout in a shop.

I think everyone has the right to judge no matter age or target group of the item.

They each serve a different role (target a different audience) in the product line.

Excellent point considering LOTR & The Hobbit are both castle like themes that appeal more to teens and adults given they are based on movies that kids can't/couldn't/shouldn't even go see.

Comparing Kingdoms to the new Castle theme is like comparing actual musicians to Justin Beiber. The same idea is behind both of them, but one is an atrocity that should have stayed in the dark hole it came out of.

Justin Bieber outsells every "actual musician" that releases an album today.  You can hammer the new designs of the Castle theme all you want, but they're not targeted to your demographic, much like Justin Bieber's music isn't targeted to your demo. 

As Stephen so aptly puts it, H8rz gonna H8!

set can be judged since you dont need to have an ID card of ''below 10 to be able to put the castle theme at the checkout in a shop.

Actually it's 7-12 years old... but apparently they don't stick to that... otherwise none of us would be allowed to buy legos  :shocked:

Thing is if you'd shown him Kingdoms first that would likely be his favorite theme... Children tend to like the first thing they see if it remotely resembles their idea and wantings...

True it is, but that does not make the line better nor worse...

Medieval Market Village, Mill Village Raid and Helm's Deep are 3 sets that perfectly satisfy my standards in LEGO terms... Bring more of those and I would never be disappointed :P

Thing is I think it doesnt matter who LEGO is targeting, set can be judged since you dont need to have an ID card of ''below 10 to be able to put the castle theme at the checkout in a shop.

I think everyone has the right to judge no matter age or target group of the item.

Interestingly, my son was introduced to the Kingdoms line and never really took to it, although that could be because he was too young at the time.  In full disclosure, he did rank King's Joust high on his list of favorite Lego sets.  It just wasn't as high as the latest King's Castle :thumbsup:

I like to figure out why Lego makes the design choices they do rather than just pass judgment.  You are welcome to not like the way these sets look and hammer them all you want, I'm just saying there's likely a valid reason for every design decision they make, and they typically center around who they're marketing the set to.  Especially when trying to judge the investment potential for specific themes, it's important to understand where each theme sits in the product line.

I actually agree with you - I really missed out on Mill Village Raid and Medieval Market Village.  They are great looking sets and something I would consider putting in my own collection if I had the chance.

I'm just saying there's likely a valid reason for their every design decision they make, and they typically center around who they're marketing the set to.

I wouldnt phrase this like that, considering near bankrupt of LEGO a ''couple'' of years ago 

I like to figure out why Lego makes the design choices they do rather than just pass judgment. 

I think thats pretty easy, every design choice is made to sell the set as much as possible, afterall its a company to make profit.

Especially when trying to judge the investment potential for specific themes, it's important to understand where each theme sits in the product line.

I agree with that, hence I will completely pass this line for any investment purpose, especially this wave!

I tend to buy the sets I would have no problem displaying and opening (in case their investment return is either negative or too low according to my prediction and wish) and none of these sets reach any criteria of mine :P

Guest eightbrick

Justin Bieber outsells every "actual musician" that releases an album today.  You can hammer the new designs of the Castle theme all you want, but they're not targeted to your demographic, much like Justin Bieber's music isn't targeted to your demo. 

As Stephen so aptly puts it, H8rz gonna H8!

True, should I point out I wasn't entirely serious? I have lots of cousins in the demographic that the line is targeted to, and none of them like the Castle  theme (at least not as much as others). Also, even my cousins who are girls don't like JB. I guess good parenting just runs in my family.

*before posting a rebuttal, refer to my first line*

I wouldnt phrase this like that, considering near bankrupt of LEGO a ''couple'' of years ago 

Perhaps they were the incorrect design decisions made 10 years ago instead of lacking design intent?  Regardless, I think a big reason for the TLG turn around is their better emphasis on their marketing strategies.  Opening up Lego to more licensed themes was just one of many decisions that saved TLG. 

True, should I point out I wasn't entirely serious? I have lots of cousins in the demographic that the line is targeted to, and none of them like the Castle  theme (at least not as much as others). Also, even my cousins who are girls don't like JB. I guess good parenting just runs in my family.

*before posting a rebuttal, refer to my first line*

My bad, Brian.  After reading my response, it probably came off harsher than it was supposed to.  That said, I still expect you to start listening to and enjoying JB.  Here's some inspiration for you...

Beibi-justin-bieber.jpg

• Like 1

Guest eightbrick

My bad, Brian.  After reading my response, it probably came off harsher than it was supposed to.  That said, I still expect you to start listening to and enjoying JB.  Here's some inspiration for you...

Ooolala, change mah gender and age NOW!!!

Back on topic: does anyone else get reminded of Knight`s Kingdom when they look at these sets? Just without the jelly beans in battle armor?

I agree that the forest ambush isn't a true battle pack, but it is a good source to get more troops (and more dogs).

..? It's exactly the same setup as the current Star Wars battlepacks. Two good, two bad, and parts thrown in for a build.

The builds in Castle 2013 are very kid based though in simplicity and colors used, but I do like the villians looking like a mix between Vladek's army, the Dragon Masters, and a touch of Wolfpack.