9473 - The Mines of Moria

• 1 month later...

amazon has it for sale at the lowest ive seen it online and here in Hawaii ... $62.18 ... i dont have one yet and was wondering what opinions you guys have on this set and its growth potential. will it get any lower? what prices have you guys come accross locally? mahalo...

I guess I'll be the other side and say that I've seen this in my area for $54.00 clearance for a full year now, and it's still well stocked on shelves.

From what I understand, it's part of the LOTR firstwave that -isn't- going EOL this month, and will be with us for the rest of the year at least.

I'm not sure if it's not popular or what. Honestly, I think it should do well since it's the only set with Boromir, plus the cave troll. If you think you won't beat that price point in your area, I guess I'd grab a couple. If it's going to earn, though, I think it will have to cook longer than other sets in its line.

I'll split the difference - you might not get it lower in your market, but you are going to wait (seemingly, although no one knows accurate EOL dates) quite some time to see a decent return.  You might find investments to turn around more quickly, but if LOTR is your thing and you have the money and space, I'd pull the trigger.

Hey LowestFormofWit - you on the Pearl Jam forums?  I recognize your 'dancing girl'?  Or I am drunk when I prowl the Pearl Jam forums and hallucinated your dancin' avatar?

Hey LowestFormofWit - you on the Pearl Jam forums?  I recognize your 'dancing girl'?  Or I am drunk when I prowl the Pearl Jam forums and hallucinated your dancin' avatar?

I use this avatar on all forums I frequent, including here, ebay, Flickr, Toys ****** Bricks, Mobile Frame Hangar, among others. Pearl Jam forums? No.

As for the avatar, I made it myself from a Pulp music video. I find it highly unlikely that someone else is using it....but I won't rule it out.

I use this avatar on all forums I frequent, including here, ebay, Flickr, Toys ****** Bricks, Mobile Frame Hangar, among others. Pearl Jam forums? No.

As for the avatar, I made it myself from a Pulp music video. I find it highly unlikely that someone else is using it....but I won't rule it out.

Checked out the video, weird song, she's still hot, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of a high price point, but i feel like the set is kind of ignored, being heavily discounted and i cant help but think that the Cave Troll is going to end up being a valuable item. Maybe similar in value to some of the dragons, elephants, etc

Whats everyone else thinkg, potential for massive profits or just end up being one of the lower returing sets of the LOTR theme?

Guest eightbrick

Buy it low, and you are good to go (preferably lower than whatever the price is on Amazon). If LOTR ends, it will be the only set with Pippin, Boromoir, the Cave Troll, and Moria Orcs, increasing its collectiblity. If LOTR continues, than there is an extremely high chance that a couple of those exclusive minifigures won't be anymore, but interest in the set will be increased (especially since I can't imagine TLG doing another line without the inclusion of a Balrog, which has to go with Moria). The set has been largely criticized for being open and a "play set", but there are plenty of examples of licensed play sets that have taken off:

• Indiana Jones Temple of the Crystal Skull (79% up from retail)
  • Cloud City, yes a bit of an extreme example but the similarities to Moria are there (759% up from retail)
  • The Chamber of Secrets (167% up from retail)
  • The Batcave/2006 version (308% up from retail)

In addition to the performance of these licensed "play sets", LOTR has a huge fan following that will boost interest. Bottom line, good investment as long as you aren't paying retail.

In CAN at local walmart...I was tempted to buy it at $80 on 'clearance' (from $99), similar retail price to the US.  Mint boxes too...but I'll hold off and see if there's a further reduction in the 30% or higher range to at least be lower than regular US price.  This set isn't EOL yet like Arrives + Orc Forge apparently so I hope there's still time.  The scene was pretty cool in the movie and nice combo of minifigs.     

In CAN at local walmart...I was tempted to buy it at $80 on 'clearance' (from $99), similar retail price to the US.  Mint boxes too...but I'll hold off and see if there's a further reduction in the 30% or higher range to at least be lower than regular US price.  This set isn't EOL yet like Arrives + Orc Forge apparently so I hope there's still time.  The scene was pretty cool in the movie and nice combo of minifigs.     

its $79.99 normal price, can find them on amazon.com with free shipping for $62, thats a 20% discount.

I got mine on ebay for $54 new! :D I don't think the set is worth $80, it kind of seems like a hefty price for what you get, but it is essential for the minifigures. I am hoping the set will gain value with the discontinuation of that wave of sets.

I got mine on ebay for $54 new! :D I don't think the set is worth $80, it kind of seems like a hefty price for what you get, but it is essential for the minifigures. I am hoping the set will gain value with the discontinuation of that wave of sets.

Well all Licensed themes are over priced by 10-20% anyways.

I could grab 8 of these for $54.00 if I wanted. But I won't. They simply don't move. I'll probably bite when they hit the second stage clearance and they'll drop to $40.00 or $30.00 a box.

These are definitely going to be worth it in the long run with the exclusives (The Cave Troll and Boromir), but it's going to take a lot longer to see returns on this set than the rest of the first wave LOTR. It's not been a strong seller in stores, so there's simply a truckload of them floating around.

This is my favorite set from the first line of LOTR for investing. I don't think it will be a heavily invested in set, but if we see a set with a balrog (which we should) then we know this will go up!

Yeah I'd be very surprised considering the presence of the Balrog in both the movies and in the LEGO LOTR video game.

I could grab 8 of these for $54.00 if I wanted. But I won't. They simply don't move. I'll probably bite when they hit the second stage clearance and they'll drop to $40.00 or $30.00 a box.

These are definitely going to be worth it in the long run with the exclusives (The Cave Troll and Boromir), but it's going to take a lot longer to see returns on this set than the rest of the first wave LOTR. It's not been a strong seller in stores, so there's simply a truckload of them floating around.

I'd probably bite at $54. I bought 1 last summer at a close out store like weeks after LOTR sets were released. It was really weird. I think I got mine for $45 or so. I also got a couple bat caves for the same price. I haven't opened my copy but I'd love to get a hand full of these on sale. I've got at least 1 of every other LOTR first wave sets to hold onto and 1 for myself.

I've got to believe they won't do another cave troll that's the same as that one and Boromir will probably not be revisited anytime soon since his screen time is sparse after the first movie!

I'd probably bite at $54. I bought 1 last summer at a close out store like weeks after LOTR sets were released. It was really weird. I think I got mine for $45 or so. I also got a couple bat caves for the same price. I haven't opened my copy but I'd love to get a hand full of these on sale. I've got at least 1 of every other LOTR first wave sets to hold onto and 1 for myself.

I've got to believe they won't do another cave troll that's the same as that one and Boromir will probably not be revisited anytime soon since his screen time is sparse after the first movie!

It is likely that (if we get Blarog) and if that Balrog will not be molded but brick built and will be in 40$+ set that we will get additional 2-3 figures with it minimal and one of them would very likely be Boromir in my own humble opinion.