21005 - Fallingwater

allen9917

Fallingwater is one of the most iconic buildings in the United States.  It is famous all over the world.  The biggest problem with investing in this set (or anything in the architecture line) is that we have no idea when it will EOL.  There is no rhyme or reason for when the architecture sets will retire.  This year my target long term hold architecture sets are Fallingwater at $75, White House at $35, and Empire State at $15.  

At Christmas time, any architecture set you buy at a 25% discount will double if it goes out of stock.

Well, the only one we know for sure that is going retire this year is Robie House. So far, it is yet to climb over MSRP even though it is OOS at Lego Shop and many other places. But this is probably because there are enough people who got it at well below MSRP and still selling it at around MSRP

actually i've been selling them for $250 which is 25% over MSRP

The tricky thing about the architecture sets is they have limited availability despite not being exclusive. Walmart and Target don't carry them at all. At Amazon you have to go back almost 3 years to see the last below $70 price. At BN their BOGO sale excludes the architecture theme. One could do better with a 25% or 30% off coupon at BN but those are not easy to come by. Lego online will probably discount them when they retire, but how long did the Robie House sale last? That's why I'm thinking getting a couple with TRU random sale may not be a bad idea, even it is just 20% off.

Am I over-analyzing it?  

The tricky thing about the architecture sets is they have limited availability despite not being exclusive. Walmart and Target don't carry them at all. At Amazon you have to go back almost 3 years to see the last below $70 price. At BN their BOGO sale excludes the architecture theme. One could do better with a 25% or 30% off coupon at BN but those are not easy to come by. Lego online will probably discount them when they retire, but how long did the Robie House sale last? That's why I'm thinking getting a couple with TRU random sale may not be a bad idea, even it is just 20% off.

Am I over-analyzing it?

I have heard that some Targets do have Architecture sets, but they are usually not located in the toy section. My best bet has been Amazon price drops (got two at $75 each) or BN BOGOs/member coupons.

I have heard that some Targets do have Architecture sets, but they are usually not located in the toy section. My best bet has been Amazon price drops (got two at $75 each) or BN BOGOs/member coupons.

of the fifteen or so Targets in my area that I've gone to I've never seen Architecture sets at them, anywhere. 

After christmas I did see a whitehouse returned to a walmart but they wanted regular MSRP on it so meh

And none of the B&Ns around me for 50 miles have any "hard to find" or exclusive sets like death star or R2D2 and I basically live in 300 miles of unbroken development in SE florida