76009 - Superman: Black Zero Escape

donliu

Yeah at 50% off I'd probably grab a few.  It's hasn't been out a year yet so still plenty of time to pick them up for investment unless you get those good deals.  It's a good sign that the current market price is the same as retail despite the discounting.  Still, like most have said the set is a little uninspiring.

There are going to be plenty of people who will want to collect every superheroes set, if you want to calculate the investment growth your best bet is to look at other superheroes sets, though they only started in 2012 so there is not much to go on.  I would say the closet comparison is 6867 also a $20 set, with hawkeye, iron-man and loki, This set also has figures found in other sets, hawkeye was available in 6868 and a polybag, loki in 6868, 6869, iron-man, this triangle version only in this set and a polybag.  76009 has an exclusive lois lane figure, but the other two are found in each set of the man of steel series, yet Zod doesn't have armour in the smallest set. sets like these will possibly not see rapid growth in a short but you won't lose if you buy low.

In the grand scheme of things, people are always going to want Superman stuff.  Even though the Supes from 6862 is way better, I think the MOS version will satisfy the collectors who get into Legos after all this MOS stuff is retired.  Plus, people like villains.  This set has the decked out version of Zod, which I think will be the desired version of him.  Exclusive Lois Lane only helps too.  This set will never go super high (no pun intended,) but I don't see why it couldn't reach $30.  If you get it at $15, that doesn't sound so bad. 

This is not the kind of set I would load up on and buy 40 copies of, but I think it would be safe to have a handful of these at $15 apiece or less.

Some good thoughts here and I agree. While I do see people say that "people will always want Superman stuff" I am surprised at how prevalent the toys from this move are in every clearance section in most retailers. People are just not buying them, figures, whatever. Growth may take a little while on this one.

I am staying away from anything MOS. It is always interesting to see how things pan out in a year or two when you have no money invested in a line

This is one of my investment weaknesses, I feel like I need a little something of everything so I don't potentially miss out. But you can't buy it all...

• Like 1

I think the 3 villains are the main pull, the dropship is not bad, but the other models are nothing special, i'm keeping an open mind, don't forget the marvel sets were criticised and went on to do really well.  At least there is some connection with the original superman film

Although, I must say... the set pieces are indeed pretty lame.  The minis are the only thing that will ever provide any value.

Nolanfan34 did bring up a good point about MOS stuff being all over clearance aisles, but I don't think that necessarily translates well to how the Legos will do.  The MOS stuff that is on clearance is all really crap stuff that causes no one to really wonder why it wasn't bought. 

I think toy manufacturers were expecting bigger things from this movie, so they cranked out every little thing they could to go along with it.  No matter how good (or bad, depending who you ask) a movie is, people still pass on the crappy toys.

I am still holding out hope that all my MOS minifigures will appreciate in value, and I will be glad I bought them.

• 4 weeks later...